IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vsdprasad

Travesty of Religion in films..

Rate this topic

I've been observing this parody of religion esp hinduism in many moviez since my childhood. The Major comedy part of many b/tollywood movies include making fun of religious things. For example, in a love song, the jubilant hero along with his junta come across some saffron clad young monks. After hearing their romantic song, these men join them immediately abruptly stopping their religious occupations.

I hope some of you might have seen the movie "Anger Management". It also includes parody of buddhist monks to an extreme degree. My friends say it was cool and was full of fun. There may be many people who get a wrong impression about the religion by watching such things in films.

The problem with hinduism is that everything that seems like a worship is included in it. Even witch craft is considered part of hinduism. What opinion do people get on hinduism and India by watching "Indiana Jones and the temple of doom"? and people esp antihindus start generalising this to be the tradition of hindus and perpetuate their hate campaign.

Tollywood is also no different to imitating religious procedures and twisting it in any way the director likes for making comedy and earning revenue. Is the behaviour of people influenced by the media and films or is it vice versa- the quality of films is influenced by the taste of people?

-Prasad.

Hare Krishna

I think the way people (directors even, Muslims) portray Lord Visnu etc is amazing,they make up stories without consulting the scriptures and just make thing up as they go along, if a person made a film with faith I thing that would change people. Even little things make a difference like when Lord Brahma and Co goto to see Lord Visnu they don't see him directly but from afar like Srila Prabhupada and the Vedas say but what do these filme people do well you already know, I hope one day a pure devotee can make something worth watching for the TV generation.