IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
srivats

Krishna is my lover

Rate this topic

Krishna is my lover

In this poem the great poet Bharathiyaar, sees Krishna as his lover, himself as male and Krishna as female, There are numerous poems in Tamil, written in the opposite manner i.e. thinking them as female and Krishna as their lover. Nevertheless to say Bharathiyaar saw Krishna, (kanna in Tamil) in very different forms, as his daughter, His master, his dad, his mom, his friend and as his servant too.

I have tried translating the Kanna my lover part as it is to English, just to make sure I didnt interpret it wrongly So u might feel its still with Tamil nativity.

This is the first part, and three more parts are there, I will post them one by one.

In Kanna - as a lover, Bharathiyaar calls Krishna as Kannama (of course with female name) And he describe the appearance of her .Its jus like praise his own lover to please her, it goes like this.

Kannamma is my lover

The eyes which are like bright light - Kannamma !

is it Sun and moon ?

That round black retina - Kannamma !

Is it the blackness in the sky ?

The dark blue saree with diamonds on it is nothing but the stars that glitters in midnight sky!

Is the Glowing garden flower is turned as your beautiful smile?

Blue Waves in sea is jus like the waves in your heart

The pleasing voice of Cuckoo, that is what your sweet voice!

You are very young good-looking girl and I have fell in love with you!

Why you speak about laws now, only angry people speak about that.

We will get married with all elders ; agreement and blessings later.

Why should I wait till that time, see here, and a kiss on the cheek!

-----------

All dedicated to my lord

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Srivats

Guest guest

His words seem so familiar as if I heard them before, this peom was very beautiful

Hi guest..Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathi was a great poet during the time of our freedom struggle who lived in the later part of 19th century and early part of 20th century and died in 1921. In tamilnadu only two poets are commonly refered as Mahakavi. One is Bharathi and the other was the ancient poet Kalidas. All Bharathi's poems will appear familiar to us since most of the Indian movie songs had their essence from his poetries which has been translated in several indian languages

shyam

Hi srivats,

If you are posting another poem of Bharathi, Give an introduction about Bharathi and his relevance in Indian and tamil literature context. Is sad to note from some guest that he is not aware of such a great poet. I hope he is not from India.

Shyam

Mahakavi Subramaniya Bharathiyaar was born in the year 1882.

Bharathi was passionately involved in the freedom movement. He worked as a school teacher and as

a journal editor at various times in his life. Bharathi died at a young age of 39 (in 1921). But he left a legacy that is truly invaluable.

Bharathiyaar, as the Mahakavi is known in Tamizh, lived in an era when India was still under British occupation. His devotion to Tamizh led him to say:

yaamarintha mozhikazhi-le tamizhmozhi-pole

E-nithavathu engum kaaNOm

(Among all the languages I know, there is

none sweeter than Tamizh)

But at the same time, Bharathiyaar was fluent in many languages (incl. Hindi, Sanskrit, Kuuch, English etc.) and frequently translated works from other languages (Bengali, English) into Tamizh, thus showing that one can love one's language/culture and yet be appreciative of other

languages/cultures.

Bharathi was a Hindu. But his spirituality was not limited. He sang to the Hindu deities, and at the same time he wrote songs of devotion to Jesus Christ and Allah. Bharathi was a vigorous campaigner against casteism. He wrote in 'Vande Matharam' :

We shall not look at caste or religion; all human beings in this land - whether they be those who preach the vedas or who belong to other castes - are one

Bharathi love for krishna and parashkathi is huge, he has writtern numerous poems on both of the dieties.

He is very open minded and brave person, who helped for women liberation also in india.

He lived in very poor state after marrriage also , since because he came out of his brahmin life to help others in time of freedom struggle and revoultion against higher class of people in society.

He has writtern " Panjali Sabatham " , the oath for revenge Panjali has taken in Mahabaratha when she is ill treated by gauravas, this poetery is huge containing 8 chapters and gives us clear vision about event.

I will keep writing about him , now and then , because there is so much to write about him

I have given the transulation of one more his poet about loving enemies

Love thine enemy

-------------

Love thine enemy, heart of mine, Oh!

Love thine enemy.

Hast thou not seen the shining flame

Amidst the darkening smoke?

In foeman's soul lives Krishna, whom

As Love the wise invoke.

Oft we have preached to men that God

In all that is doth shine.

Why, then, my heart, 'tis God that stands

Arrayed as foemen's line.

Dost know that limpid pearls are found

Within the oyster vile?

Hast seen on dunghill, too, sometimes

The starry blossom smile?

The heart that fans its wrath, shall it

The inner peace possess?

The honey poison-mixed, shall it

Be wholesome nevertheless?

Shall we who strive for Life and Growth,

Lend thought to Sad Decay?

'Thine evil thoughts recoil on thee',

So do the wise ones say.

When Arjun fought, 'twas Krishna whom

He faced, disguised as foes;

'Twas Krishna, too, that drove his car

In charioteering pose.

Strike not the tiger threatening thee,

But love it, straight and true;

The Mother of All hath donned that garb,

Salute her there, there, too.

Love thine enemy, heart of mine, Oh!

Love thine enemy.

--------------------

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala

Srivats

Guest guest

cuz, i left india when i was really young, I am very ignorant about indian arts and literature, but am very enthusiastic and want to learn more about my ancesters and the past.

Guest guest

The mentality "love thy enemy "

works well only with a few brahmanas who are sufficiently advanced spiritually.

it cannot work for all kshatriyas.

only some of them can love the enemy and still can kill them. most have to have anger at the enemy to kill them.

such anger on asuras is not bad karma.

getting angry on saints and sadhus is bad karma.

jai sriprabhupada!