IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Suffering & The Reality of Death

Rate this topic

This week’s Srila Siddhaswarupananda television program is about the reality of death.

Audience Member: This question might not be very well formulated, but I’m wondering about the Cambodian refugees, or the millions of people who suffer collectively. How can so many people have the same karma?

Srila Siddhaswarupananda: First there is no collective suffering. There is only individual suffering or enjoying. You can identify with the suffering of another, but you aren’t experiencing it. Suffering is the nature of this world. A lot of people will say “This is so unfair” but you must understand that everyone suffers in this world. Someone may say “This person was only 20 and died, that is so unfair.” But another person is 80 and dies. Is this fair?

The last time I was in the Philippines I met a lady who wasn’t sure whether to meditate or to engage in social upheaval. She seemed very sincere and was very sensitive to the suffering of innocent people. She was saying that before we can help them spiritually we must make it so that they no longer suffer. But this can’t be done. It’s like trying to keep the sun from going down in the evening. We are not saying that suffering is good. Rather we are interested in the root cause of suffering. Not why Cambodians, or Philippinos, are suffering, but why every one of us is suffering. Those who are interested in real spirituality, not positive thinking, or psychic powers, give real thought to this question.

Some may say that a person who lives a nice life isn’t suffering. But have you ever seen the suffering of such an individual when they are parted from their body? Don’t blame me. I didn’t do it. I’m just telling you the truth. This material world is not our home. We don’t belong here. It is not God who is punishing us. It is a system of education to let us know that this is not our home. In each and every body that we take we eventually are kicked out. Eventually we will start thinking “What is this all for?” You are born, you get educated, you have sex life, and a few kids, accumulate some wealth, and then right when you are ready to live happily ever after you die. And for some reason everyone acts surprised. “Oh no, why me? Why me?” Why not you? Everyone else died. George Washington died. But “She died? I knew her” Only people we don’t know die. This is called illusion. One great saintly person commented that although everyone is dying, by illusion we think that we will not die.

The other day one of my students, Japa Das, witnessed his father leave his body. He told me that when it happened he realized that this too would happen to him. He told me that “The only thing I don’t ever want to forget is that experience.” In time the pain goes away, and illusion covers you to cause you to forget the reality of impending death. We should all be afraid to forget this truth. Maybe some of you, in your hearts, are saying this is true. But as soon as you walk out, and are confronted by the lights of Manila, you will forget.

Illusion gradually takes over and you forget that this is not your true home. This body is like an apartment and we don’t have a lease. We are all squatters and we don’t realize that the bulldozers will come. Like some squatters in Manila will purchase furniture, video players etc… Let me ask who has a lease on their body? All we have are rumors that most people get to stay for about 75 years. But there are a number of young people who die as well. Four young people died recently surfing in the same place I have surfed. One of our cameramen from Honolulu couldn’t be here today. He is only 30 years old. On New Years Eve he was riding his motorcycle and got into a hit and run. He didn’t die, but broke his shoulder and had to stay in the hospital.

King Pariksit was a very pious king who knew because of a snake bite that he had 7 days left. He had all the wealth of the world, a wonderful family life. But he left his kingdom and went to the forest to become perfectly God conscious. Who should I listen to? He asked. Hear from Sukadeva Goswami, a great saintly person. Then for 7 days and nights he spoke the Srimad Bhagavatam which is especially connected to the glorification of the Supreme Person.

We can live our lives to take care of material needs. But do not think “Later I will do spiritual life.” It is best to take care of both. At the Science of Identity Institute we teach how to apply this philosophy in your daily life.