IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Apple Crisps

Rate this topic

Over the weekend I made apple crips which turned out very good. I was cooking based on Kurma's recipe book. He suggested green apples. I made two batches, one with green apples, one with red apples. I suggest not doing green apples (too sour) and sticking with red apples.

Here is my modification to his recipe.

Get 4-5 medium sized red apples. Peel and core. Then slice into thin pieces. Cook these for 1 or 2 minutes in a pot with maybe a half-inch of water (this just softens them up). Also, squeeze maybe a half a lemon into the pot as it cooks.

Next, mix 3/4 cups of raw oats, 1 cup of unbleached flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of white sugar, and 1 stick of unsalted butter melted. Put these all together and mix together until you get a nice crumbly mixture.

Now take a little tin tray. Put a layer of the crumble mix on the bottom evenly (you might want to add a slight oiling to the bottom). Then dish out the stewed apples into the tray. Just spread them out evenly, but no real thought needs to go into it. Then put the rest of the crumble mix on top. Then bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. Remove and let cool.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I added cinnamon and it was very good. Before adding a top layer of crumble, sprinkle apples with a little sugar and cinnamon. Also, put some cinnamon into the crumble mixture. You can't go wrong with cinnamon. Try it out. Its very good with vanilla ice cream /images/graemlins/smile.gif

One evening two bachelors were talking over dinner. The conversation drifted from sports to politics, and then to cooking.

" I got a cookbook once," said the first bachelor. "But I couldn't do anything with it."

"Too much fancy stuff in it, huh?" asked his friend.

"You said it,"the first guy replied, nodding. "Every one of those recipes began the same way: "Take a clean plate...."