IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

rounds part 2

Rate this topic

That was really a great thread on rounds. Funny how a simple question can generate so many responses. I'd like to ask more on the chanting issue if I may.

I just starting chanting rounds last week again after not doing it for a couple of years. The first time I started was when I was first introduced to the books by Srila Prabhupada and I felt like I never really got anything out of it. The reading continued but the rounds didn't. Lately, though, I've had the urge to start it up again.

My question is this. Does anybody here have the same problems with concentration when they are chanting? The desire to chant is there so I'm getting about four rounds completed a day. I just find that my mind wanders to so many other things besides Krsna. Is this common. If so, does anybody have any words of encouragement so that I don't fall into the trap of discontinuing my rounds. I really want to keep it up this time. Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

I am still new at this now,but,on a post from about a week ago, Theist had said sometimes he listens to a tape or CD of Srila Prabhupada chanting the mantra, while chanting with the beads, and that helps him. For me, I am still trying to get comfortable with the beads. I prefer to be alone, by myself. I just close my eyes and start saying it over and over again, concentrating on the love for Krsna, and the vibrations of the sound coming out of my mouth. For me, I know sometimes I do not concentrate as well sometimes, as I do others. When I am doing this,I need to clear my mind, and concentrate only about what I am doing, without letting outside interferences hinder me from my duty. You know sometimes, it is best to set aside a special time each day to do the chanting, so to keep it a part of your daily routine..Chant and Be Happy!! Debbie

If anyone wants to listen to Srila Prabhupada chant a round of japa, they can do so here. He chants slowly with his disciples, it's an 11 1/2 minute round. Very sweet. Another thing that may be helpful for chanting, (when the mind wanders), is to simply look at the written words of the maha-mantra as one chants. And then try to concentrate on hearing the sound vibration of each syllable of the Maha-Mantra. Of course, the best method for focusing is to chant with a purpose, with feeling, "concentrating on the love for Krsna", as Debbie has mentioned. Ultimately, it isn't a mechanical process, it must be prayerful, with a mood of humility, urgency, and love.

Hi Debbie. Hare Krsna. I'm kind of like you in the fact that I also like to be alone while chanting. I tried chanting along with the tape that I got from ISKCON of Srila Prabhupada chanting but that messes me up. I prefer instead to just listen to that in the background while I'm doing ordinary tasks like making dinner or something. How long have you been doing this? Do you do 16 rounds a day yet?

Your Servant,

Mark

Hi Mxyzptlk. Hare Krsna. Looking at the written words is an excellent idea. I'm going to try that. I will also look over the website you suggested sometime later this evening when my son goes to bed. Thanks for your help.

Your Servant,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I haven't tried the CD yet.Actually, I don't have it yet.A special friend is sending me one. But I did listen to the one that someone gave a link to,and I will have to work on that. I am from the south,and I afraid, with my southern accent,I do not talk as fast as what I heard on the website. I have only been trying this for maybe the last couple of months and am probably good to get three or four rounds, much less 16. I still am not comfortable using beads, but I am working on being so. I also will work on trying to get up to the 16 rounds, but I am sure it will take a little time. But,I will say, each time, I do it, the more I concentrate on the love of Krsna, the better it makes me feel. I know if you have been reading the post, you will see the feelings it gave me, when chanting the other day. It made me feel as if I wanted to cry, but I was not sad. It was a good feeling,is all I can say, one I hope to be blessed to have again. From my understanding from the posters,we may not always get these feelings, but we should continue to chant His name,regardless. Happy Chanting!

Debbie

I have a video that shows Srila Prabhupada chanting morning japa in His rooms at the Los Angeles temple. This video is very very inspiring. In one part of the video Srila Prabhupada is standing - looking at a painting of Lord Krishna at eye level. You would need to see this to see the expression on Srila Prabhupada's face to understand - it is beyond words!!

Hearing and/or seeing Srila Prabhupada chanting always inspires me to chant more. I also like to play the tape in the background throughout the day.

Mark,

I am only a beginner at this. I have just begun to read the Gita. I think before I read any more,I really need to really understand that first, before trying to get into the others. It is a little hard for me right now,and I guess I am reading it more slowly than I would ordinarily read a book.I want to understand all that I read.I had decided to get a notebook,so as to write down the words that are not familiar to me, and their meanings, as to get a better grasp of them when I am reading. I know this will take more time to do, but I think it is time well spent. I would rather do this and at least get a somewhat better understanding to what I am reading than to just quickly read over it and not really understand.Even then, I may still have questions.For that,I either address this board on the site, or sometimes submit my question to a person in private mail, to keep from having so many varied responses I do not understand..It is not that I do not comprehend English,quite the contrary. This is just totally different than what I have tried to read before. Even though translated in English, there are words that I have never seen,and want to know their meanings. When I get through with the Gita, I would be more than happy to get your suggestions on some more books that I might read to help me with spiritual advancement..Thanks.. Debbie

Hey Debbie. I can totally understand where you're coming from. When I first got Bhagavadgita As It Is, it was kind of hard to follow because of all the purports. They are such an excellent resource but they also interrupt the flow of the story. I looked around for different editions and translations and found an excellent one that is so easy to read. Once you read that and get the main idea of the gita then you can cross reference it with Prabhupada's. The book I'm referring to is called The Song of God, Bhagavad-Gita translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood. It was such a catapult to get me more into reading Srila Prabhupada. I'm sure you can get it at Amazon. There are also many other condensed versions of some of the great Indian classics like Mahabharata, Srimad Bhagavatam and Ramayana to read also. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you those titles also. I hope this helps. Again, I can't tell you how much the book I mentioned helped me to understand. Take care!

Hare Krsna!

Mark

There are many translations out there. The problem is they don't come to the same conclusion. If one wants to just read the verses through there is no problem doing that. And then study the purports for a particular verse in depth.

Mixing in other translations will only lead to confusion.

Hare krsna

Theist wrote:

"Mixing in other translations will only lead to confusion."

Not necessarily. I know this is the major concesus among many of those who read Srila Prabhupada exclusively. But to rely only on one source is a narrow way to approach something new. Better, in my humble opinion, to see what else is out there and decide, after taking in all the sources, on a conclusion.

It didn't confuse me at all. Like I said before it helped me to understand better where Srila Prabhupada was coming from, so to speak. For example, I read a condensed version of the Mahabharata and it helped so much when I picked up the first canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam. When I first picked up the Srimad Bhagavatam I had no idea what was going on. The Srimad Bhagavatam, Canto 1, is really a continuation of the Mahabharata. At least that what it seemed like to me. But I digress.

The point I'm trying to make is that confusion isn't always the result of cross-referencing. Maybe it is sometimes, but not always.

Anyway, take care, Theist. I hope I didn't offend you in any way. If so, that certainly was not my intention.

Hare Krsna.

Your Servant,

Mark

No offense taken Mark. I am not adverse to hearing of anothers opinion or experience.

But different schools of thought have commented on the Gita. They have come to different conclusions, some are quite opposite to others. Studing across these lines will only cause confusion and we will be left with not understanding either.

Some try to prove absolute pacifism from the Gita even. So we must be a little cautious, especially in the beginning., which by the way is where the vast majority of us really are, in our contemplations of Krsna's words.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

mark and debbie,

like an engineer, a spiritualist needs to go to the lab. otherwise, you will end up too theoretical. i would suggest that you focus on chanting, serving in the association of devotees, listening to bhagavatham class etc., before reading a lot. there are lot of interesting things to do like singing, dancing, organizing, eating prasadam, dressing up nicely, cleaning the temple floor, distributing books etc. by doing all this you will strengthen your realization. there are great truths that you can learn from an acharya such as srila prabhupada.

did you check out the nearest govinda's restaurant in your neighbourhood ?

Well put, Theist. I've certainly come across a couple of interpretations of the Gita that were quite a bit different than As It Is. One in particular took the opposite view of Srila Prabhupada and explained it in a very impersonalist way which I thought was contradictory to what Krsna was teaching Arjuna.

Hare Krsna

Your Servant,

Mark

Hi Ram. I have to say, that's a great analogy. I have, in fact, been thinking about visiting the Rupanuga Vedic College here in Kansas City. It's about thirty miles from where I live. I have apprehensions though about whether or not I'll fit in or be accepted. I should just bite the bullet and drive down there and see for myself. By the way, you mentioned a Govindas Restaurant in your post; do they have one in Kansas City. Thanks.

Hare Krsna.

Your Servant,

Mark

Guest guest

It is very common for the mind to wander around as it is unstable and wants to enjoy even with eyes. Our souls are so much conditioned to consider sensory enjoyments as the ture enjoyments, the mind constantly thinks about many things other than the Holy Name. Apart from this, some may feel, that many doubts start to arise in their minds, while chanting (e.g. whether my chanting is 'reaching' the appropriate place or not, whether I am getting benefitted by chanting, has the chanting done any perceptible change in me etc.etc.). But this, the saints say, is very common initial stumbling block. Slowly, as the mind stedies, all these doubts melt like morning fog. Mind becomes calmer. But one must try to 'hear' the Holy Name while chanting carefully. Manas Japa is considered to be very useful, where the Holy Name is chanted completely within the mind, without moving lips or tounge. If continued like this steadfastly, a ultimate union is possible with the Holy Name.