IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question about Chanting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Posted by Debbie

As many of you here on the board know, chanting the Mantra is something that I had just started doing over the last few months..I have a question about it, but do not know exactly how to put it into words, but I will try.When chanting, and you have to remember it is my way, because I am new at this, the more I say it, over and over, it like I feel like crying, but I am not sad or unhappy,actually it is a good feeling. Is this normal feelings? Am I experiencing some spiritual feelings here? Sorry if I sound a little naive at this.. Debbie

Guest guest

Posted by Leyh

Dear Debbie:

By chanting the mantra do you mean the Hare Krsna mantra?

In his purport to Srimad Bhagavatam 3.15.29, Srila Prabhupada writes that:

If a person does not cry or exhibit bodily changes after chanting the holy name of God without offence, it is to be understood that he is hardhearted and that therefore his heart does not change even after he chants the holy name of God, Hare Krishna. These bodily changes can take place due to ecstasy when we offencelessly chant the holy name of God: Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

Shedding tears of ecstasy while chanting the holy names of God is said to be very auspicious. As Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu Himself wrote in the only poem He left for posterity:

nayanam galad-asru-dharaya

vadanam gadgada-ruddhaya gira

pulakair nicitam vapuh kada

tava nama-grahane bhavisyati

O my Lord, when will my eyes be decorated with tears of love flowing constantly when I chant Your holy name? When will my voice choke up, and when will the hairs of my body stand on end at the recitation of Your name? (Siksastaka, Text 6)

Reading your post has just encouraged me to take up chanting seriously again. I have been slacking. Thank you, Debbie.Chant and be happy!

Guest guest

Posted by Debbie

I was talking about the Hare Krsna mantra..Your ending of your post was sounding kind of the way I was feeling.I mean, my voice started choking up, and even though I stopped,before I had actually shed a flow of tears, it surely felt if I continued, I would have started crying, in happiness, but not saddness. I had another feeling too, but I am not quite ready to try and describe that one, yet..I guess I just want to experience it again first. I stopped because I was really unsure of what I was really feeling. Now,that I know that this is normal and I am not going crazy, I will continue..Thanks.. Debbie

Guest guest

Posted by Theist

debbie, I have a hard time trying to stay focused on hearing the mantra when I chant. What really helps me is I play a tape or CD of Srila Prabhupada chanting on his beads and I chant with that playing in the background. I don't try to chant along with him or anything like that I just have it playing and so when my mind wanders away from my own chanting often it focuses on him chanting.Its really nice to hear Srila Prabhupada.

Also I chant alone mostly and this helps me keep that connected feeling.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Posted by Theist

Reading debbies posts above has brought me much happiness. Audarya Fellowship has fullfilled its mission and anything else is bonus.

Thanks for this site Jndas.

At your feet,

theist

Guest guest

Posted by Debbie

Theist,

I don't have a CD like that, but I will see if I can get one.I did find however on that website jndas, suggested about your flat, there on that web-site was a place I could hear the mantra..I have saved that in my files, for future use.. I had never heard it in English before.Thanks.

Debbie

Guest guest

Posted by Leyh

Dear Debbie:

There is nothing crazy about being happy while chanting the holy names of the Lord. The mantra is Krsna in the form of sound and as Srila Prabhupada says, we can be ecstatic when we come into contact with the Lord in the form of sound.

However, there might be some danger of being discouraged when we don't experience these ecstatic symptoms. I think we shouldn't worry too much about that. The primary aim of chanting is to render service to the Lord by engaging our senses in chanting His names, not to get high. Chant and be happy! Hare Krsna!

Okay, enough lip service to the mantra. Let me get back to my chanting.

Guest guest

Haribol!

Reading this thread made me recall my very first days of chanting Hare Krishna japa when I had just moved into the ashrama. It use to feel so good that I would "save" a couple of rounds for later. I really mean 'save,' not that I could not finish them, but I wanted to have a couple reserved so I could get that feeling later in the day or that evening! Of course, I was informed thats not the method ha, and we can always chant extra. But my point is, in the very beginning, chanting Hare Krishna was so wonderful! I still enjoy it, but I suspect that Krishna gives you some special treat in the beginning!

YS,

Prtha dd

Guest guest

I am registered so not sure why I came up as a guest. I suppose everytime I leave the forum and return, even tho I didn't log out, I have to log back in. Anyway I couldn't edit my post as a result, so here is something I wished to add.

I just wanted to say I agree we should not hold expectations for ecstatic symptoms. If we get some - fine. If we don't - fine. We chant to develop love of God/Krishna and to render service unto Him.

YS,

Prtha dd

Guest guest

debbie mataji -

the next time you chant, please pray that the lord should be merciful to all of us on this forum, our relatives, friends and acquaintences. you are fortunate to experience these wonderful symptoms that happens to all who sincerely try to develop love of krishna. these are but a trillionth fraction of a billionth fraction of the bliss one would experience if the heart is completely cured of material afflictions.

Ram,

I will surely keep this in my prayers. I know I am but a beginner, but feel fortunate to have this experience. I also realize if I do not always get these feelings, does not mean that Krishna is not there..I should keep chanting just the same.. Debbie

Prtha dd,

Let me just say, it is an experience,I do not believe,I have felt before..From what some of you say, it is not always the same, but I am happy to have experienced it.

Hi Debbie,

I only just now saw this.

True, it's not always the same, but there is always some taste, something that none of us want to let go of! :-) And from time to time, we tend to get a bit of those special or spiriutal feelings once again, as we become purified or we luck out and get some mercy.

Don't worry, Krishna is always there, whether we feel His presence or not. Its just a matter of sensitizing ourselves to His presence as well as purifiying ourselves so we become qualified. He is nondifferent from His Name, dancing on your tongue as you chant - Prabhupada has said this. So He is there, know it or not know it. :-)

At first Krishna gives us a taste, then we have to endeavor for it. But it is always available. Keep up the good work! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

YS,

Prtha dd

Guest guest

It is in the beginning that feelings are awakened and as you continue down your spiritual path it will be easier to identify the feelings you have spiritually. We are all dear friends of Krishna's so it isn't surprising to strike an emotional string in the beginning.