IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sashi

Radharanis eight principle gopi friends

Rate this topic

I always thought having read and heard, that Lalita, Visakha, Sucitra, Campakalata, Ranga-devi, Sudevi, Tungavidya and Indulekha were Radharanis eight principle gopi friends.

However in the Sammohana tantra, Srimati Radharani's eight principle friends are differently named as Lilavati, Sadhika, Candrika, Madhavi, Lalita, Vijaya, Gauri and Nandi.

I would like to know who wrote the Sammohana tantra and whether there is any reason for the apparent contradiction, I have looked but cannot find an answer.

I don’t have a definitive answer for you. But is it possible these are other names of the aforementioned gopis? There are so many instances in Vaisnava literatures where individuals have multiple names. Its just one thing to consider.

Guest guest

Gorachandraji please do not be confusing this Sashi with me OK? I am the Shashi being from before who cannot be logging in prpoerly and JN Das is invite me to simply be posting as Guest.