<font color="blue">Main Entry: Vaish·na·va

Pronunciation: 'vIsh-n&-v&

Function: noun

Etymology: Sanskrit vaisnava of Vishnu, from Visnu Vishnu

: a member of a major Hindu sect devoted to the cult of Vishnu

- Vaishnava adjective

- Vaish·na·vism /-"vi-z&m/ noun

</font color>

Is there an implied negative connotation to the word "cult" used above?

<font color="blue">

Main Entry: cult

Pronunciation: 'k&lt

Function: noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL

1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP

2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>

5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

</font color>

I can see how definitions 1 and 2 for cult could apply, but definition 3 cannot. I don't see why Websters doesn't

define Muslims as members of the cult of Allah or Christians as members of the cult of Jesus Christ.

I know it's trivial to question the usage of a word that has different meanings, but I think Websters should have used a different word, since 'cult' has as stigma attached to it. For example, a couple hundred years ago the word 'gay' was used to express happiness, today the accepted meaning is homosexual.

Especially due to the troubles within ISKCON, such as the child abuse lawsuits, murders, corruption, small group of followers, etc., whenever someone asks me why I'm reading Srila Prabhupada's books and show an interest in Vaisnavism, they think I'm following a cult. Of course I disagree with them and I all can do is explain to them from the knowledge I have obtained so far that their opinions are prejudiced.

Here's the reply I received from Websters Dictionary:

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your e-mail. I hope I can be helpful.

You almost hit the mark in your question when you say that the first or second sense of "cult" would be fine in the definition of "Vaishnava" but not the third sense. The word "cult" is used here to mean either "worship" or "a system of religious beliefs," and as such has no negative connotations to it. However, I do understand your concern at seeing the word in the definition, since a good number of people read "cult" with a negative connotation. I will write a note to the entry to see if there is any way we can use a more neutral sounding term like "worship" or "religion" in the definition without sacrificing clarity and succinctness. Rest assured we will reevaluate the definition when we next revise the on-line dictionary and its print counterpart.

Thanks for taking the time to write, and if you have any further questions or comments, please contact us again.

Sincerely,

Kory Stamper, Editorial Department

Merriam-Webster, Inc.