IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

how to preach

Rate this topic

I thought this would be a good topic we can all learn from. Let me I don't preach direct Krsna consciousness myself due to my proven lack of practicing first. I do like to talk to others about various topics with an eye to linking whatever topic to spiritual understanding.With that disclaimer out of the way I'll post this.

From SB 6.4.5 purport by Srila Prabhupada

A sadhu, a devotee, is never angry. Actually the real feature of devotees who undergo tapasya, austerity, is forgiveness. Although a Vaisnava has sufficient power in tapasya, he does not become angry when put into difficulty. If one undergoes tapasya but does not become a Vaisnava, however, one does not develop good qualities. For example, Hiranyakasipu and Ravana also performed great austerities, but they did so to demonstrate their demoniac tendencies. Vaisnavas must meet many opponents while preaching the glories of the Lord, but Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu recommends that they not become angry while preaching. Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu has given this formula: tåëäd api sunécena taror api sahiñëunä/ amäninä mänadena kértanéyaù sadä hariù [Cc. Ädi 17.31]. “One should chant the holy name of the Lord in a humble state of mind, thinking oneself lower than the straw in the street; one should be more tolerant than a tree, devoid of all sense of false prestige and should be ready to offer all respect to others. In such a state of mind one can chant the holy name of the Lord constantly.” Those engaged in preaching the glories of the Lord should be humbler than grass and more tolerant than a tree; then they can preach the glories of the Lord without difficulty.

Guest guest

Yet to reach that stage.You could only preach when incredible peace and love is felt within the core of heart.It is possible just by chanting the maha mantra.Last year I was preaching to one or two souls about the importance of holy names.Thesit prabhu you are right.We must practise first,then humbly try to bring others to God's lotus feet.This year anxiety has taken its toll on me and I am also bewildered by material glitter that I see here in America.All this is because I am not practising Krsna conciousness,sort of downfall for me.I hope it is only temporary.

Joy

where and who should we start preaching to? I have tried preaching to johavas witnesses that come knocking on my door 1 sunday morning and distributed some books to them on prubhupada but never sore them again where did i go wrong? did i preach to the wrong people,,

always in need of advice

Hare Krishna