IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Indian Call Center Christianity

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bill Gates arrived in India recently to congratulate India for producing computing professional that have catapulted Microsoft and other Silicon Valley types into Nyse and Nasdaq.

He even met with Indian company partners in Bangalore, the Indian oasis of technology. Wipro and Infosys are collaborating with Microsoft. Wipro have managed to get Backoffice contracts just as other Indian companies are doing with various US and western companies that want to cut costs through cheap Indian labor. Call centers are mushrooming in India with not just US and western software companies customer services being transplanted in India but also financial services, apparel and internet companies.

Telecommunication costs are low and can be covered easily because of the cheap Indian labor. Customers calling service centers in the US do not know that their calls are being diverted to an outsourced Indian call center. The call center employee would have been trained to talk in a US accent, so the customer will not easily know the difference. Also the employee will have been given a Christian identity ie their traditional vedic name will become a Christian name, eg Bharat Krishna will become John Pope. The employee will use their new enforced Christian identity for majority of the day. The employee rights, human rights and ethics is in the trash and the corrupt politicians paid off in bribes to keep quiet.

I don't see any link here with Christianity. It's just business. Are the employees being forced to pray to Christ or something? If they used Hindu or Sanskrit names the people calling would become very confused. Would you rather there not be a call center there? Perhaps the choice remains with the employees.

Guest guest

Call centers are offering good money.In India conditions are so worse many are frustuated with joblessness.Only things imporant are food,shelter,some clother and bhakti.Still people are hungry and depressed.Krsna gave us nice big big lands and everything we need.I feel guilty,sometimes,that we are living on the cost of others.

Oh,the humanity!

Joy

Guest guest

It's just one more step in the mundaneizing and westernizing of Indian culture and the influence money has to change even a persons name, spiritual life changes our vibration by choice, free will, whereas this system changes the persons vibration subtly without a choice, slowly but surely they will feel more comfortable with the matter that these positions bring, where the TV and the computer take the place of the deity and the temple, look at us!

In like a needle-out like a plow, you won't even know what happen, of course many believe India needs the wealth to balance the excess of poverty and sometimes i agree but i wonder at what cost. Kidding Bill Gates doesn't sniff a market, that guy has a divineing rod for gold.

He recently donated $100,000,000 to an aids foundation in India. Why not in south Africa where it is needed a thousand times more. Hopefully some of those who benefit from the gold rush will channell it back to He who it all belongs.

Guest guest

Right Guest.In India poor are not gaining anything,only the rich are getting richer.There is lot of corruption there so no humanity left.Horrible things are going on.

Everybody is suffering because of enormous burden of ignorance.I wish it never have happened.Go to Mc Donald,eat meat and you have a high life.This is mentality nowdays.Trying to imitate USA very hard but how it is possible?Their ancestors followed vedic culture,now they are artificially trying to change things.Then how can one practise Krsna conciousness?Mind is diveretd in so many ways it is hard to imagine.

Joy

I agree imitating the USA will destroy Indian culture. I was in India once only and was shocked to see the worst of western culture taking hold. The garbage tv shows from here are being shown there. When I was walking around Dehli I saw so much western influence. What to do?

I was thinking India really is in a good position in some ways. India could learn from our mistakes, take the best and leave the rest.

The increase in cars will be a great curse. Rather than that go for the top of the line in mass transit systems. I noticed also a push to have beer sold in shops everywhere. This will make a few rich at the expense of the culture as a whole.Can you picture all the people who have little to do now hanging around drunk. Or worse yet driving around. In the USA 35,000 or more traffic fatalities occur ever year from accidents. What would it be in India? Huge.

From what I saw the school children are very happy and well behaved in India. In America in some schools we have metal detectors at the front door to screen for guns.

India should plot its own course and preserve the best of its historical culture. Indians should be proud of their old culture as well as adapting to the present modern world.

Be like swans, take the best and leave the rest.

Oh yeah, and to the young ladies there that have taken to tight jeans and western dress; Please don't imitate the cheapness of western women. You look so beautiful as you are. Nothing more attractive than an Indian woman in a Punjabi pant suit or sari IMO.

Guest guest

Thanks Theist Prabhuji for sharing your insights.I am very happy to hear that you went to India.Did you visit Vrndavan?Did you see Lucknow station?Just curious...hihi.

Joy

Guest guest

Jan. 1, 2002

MUMBAI: The chattering youngsters, many dressed in Western-style casual clothes, alighting at a train

station in a northern Bombay surburb appear headed for a college campus.

But it is late at night, and they are making their way to a nearby plush office complex.

There, in a huge brightly painted "shopfloor" whose walls and pillars are adorned with colourful posters, they settle

down behind computers, pull on headphones and spend several hours speaking English with an American accent.

These 18 to 26-year-olds working for eFunds Corp unit E-Funds International (India) handle direct tele-marketing

calls from customers halfway around the globe for U.S.-based call centre operator West TeleServices.

They are part of an emerging workforce for India's latest export offering -- IT-enabled services.

These include tele-marketing, helpdesk support, medical transcription, back-office accounting, payroll management,

maintaining legal databases, insurance claim and credit card processing, animation, and higher-end engineering

design -- all of which can be delivered by phones, computers and the Internet.

India is aiming to become 'the world's back-office'.

A McKinsey study has estimated e-enabled services could be worth over half a trillion U.S. dollars globally by

"I think there is no better or more promising area for India. It plays to India's sweet spot," Pramod Bhasin,

president of GE Capital Services India, which runs the country's largest such enterprise, said at a recent venture

capital seminar in Mumbai.

GE Capital's 10,000 strong manpower offers accounting, claims processing and credit evaluation services to 80

branches of General Electric Co around the world.

Countries like Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada and the Philippines have long provided call centre services

but India, with its cheaper, skilled, English-speaking and IT-savvy workforce is fast becoming attractive.

The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has forecast India's revenues from

IT-enabled services to rise more than 20 times to 810 billion rupees by 2008 from 40 billion rupees last year.

Industry officials say Indian companies can offer these services 30-40 percent cheaper than their competitors.

Calling more: Some 208 IT-enabled service companies are currently registered with NASSCOM, but there are

many more.

"The biggest opportunity in IT-enabled services in India is call centres," said Johnathan Everett, managing director

of venture capital firm The VIEW Group, which manages $40 million.

"India is currently barely scratching the surface."

Call centre services can extend to emotional help, as Bangalore IT-firm Phoenix Global Solutions plans to do. It has

hired 50 people for a pilot project to counsel troubled American people.

NASSCOM estimates that about 68,000 people are employed in the Indian IT-enabled services industry but

forecasts this could rise to 1.1 million by 2008.

With starting monthly salaries of 8,000-10,000 rupees, the opportunities are good for many of India's job-seeking

graduates.

Several foreign firms like HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank, American Express and British Airways are setting up

back-office processing centres in India.

Indian IT firms like Wipro, HCL Technologies, Mphasis BFL and private telecoms group Bharti Enterprises are

among a few that have announced plans to expand their services offerings to the IT-enabled business.

"The main reason we decided to do this is because it is a different set of services for the same set of customers,"

said Ramesh Enami, chief technology officer of Wipro Technologies.

Investment in staff: But Indian companies need to build marketing skills, strong infrastructure, and tackle cultural

issues to grab more business.

Call centres usually hire Indians with neutral accents. Most are located near big cities such as New Delhi, Bombay

and Bangalore.

The firms focusing on U.S. customers train their operators in American culture and linguistics. Some give the

impression that they are located in the United States and agents adopt American names to make callers feel

comfortable.

But despite the relative novelty of the business, Indian firms face attrition rates of 20-25 percent, partly because

most agents are young and keen to move on.

Besides investments in telecoms, computers and power back-up, call centres need to invest in agent interest and

training.

Telecoms and software firm GTL Ltd's 1,000-seat centre near Bombay houses a gymnasium, prayer room,

baby-sitters and recreation room to pamper and retain agents.

Experts say that while retaining staff was important, companies also need to join hands with foreign partners to

lower the cost of customer acquisition and expand business.

Joy, I have only seen photos of Lucknow Station. Very beautiful indeed. I stay for six months in Vrndaban, with only a months travel to Hrishikesh for my health. Of course I traveled in and out of Dehli but didn't see much. Mostly I wanted to become better acquainted with my mala so didn't go often past Vrndaban and then stayed mostly at Krsna Balarama mandir.For me it was bad for my health but very good for the soul.

I went just two weeks after the 9/11 attack in New York so I didn't feel comfortable going to see the Taj. Pakistan was threatening to bomb it at that time. Even Mathura felt awkward due to the Muslim influence although I never had a problem.

Guest guest

Be like swans, take the best and leave the rest.

Easier said than done Theist!

Most people don't know what is the best, they can only go after what they can see, and they can't see Krsna. Only those temporary dazzling trinkets, and the more they get of this stuff the more the eyes are covered to the beauty within. And the more that happens it also effects the beauty and behaviour outside, like oceans turning into black sludge, as greed spills into the environment.

Maybe it's a cue for Him to make Himself known more, otherwise down, down, down she goes.

Does everyone deserve this fate?

Guest guest

Introduction:

If you are a graduate and looking at a career in Customer Relationship

Management, then the IT Enabled service industry is where you should be.

You could be a 'Jane' or a 'Mark' calling up a credit card holder in the US and

following up on his credit card payments. The credit card holder would not know

that the call is from a remote location in India where you are located. You would

be trained on the accent, given sufficient inputs and have access to a huge

reservoir of information to handle all customer related queries.

Guest guest

GNFC Infotower gets active

Ahmedabad, August 11: Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers (GNFC) Limited has announced

that its GNFC Infotower in the city has initiated IT infrastructure ventures with two IT

clients starting operations from its Infotower.

The six-storied Infotower at Ahmedabad will now play host to Azure Call Center spread

over 30,000 square feet. Azure Call Center is the first big call center to set up operations

in Gujarat, a GNFC release stated here yesterday.

'iCall India Ltd', promoted by Adanis, will be the second call center to start its operations

from the GNFC infotower. Spread over 60,000 square feet area, iCall India will be fully

operational within two months. With 500 seat capacity, iCall India will be the largest call

center operating in Gujarat.

Azure Call Center has put in an investment of Rs. 10 crore for its 200-agent capacity in

the initial phase. (UNI)

We will do alot of things for money. Still, I think that this may not always be wise. I think to give your cultural and LINGUISTIC identity away for a fast buck can ultimately hurt you.

As far as 'christian' names go, well, I don't know if it applies to British or American culture, where the ties to Christianity are slim and fading. We used to mention Christian names since when we were baptized (a Christian ritual) we would take on the name of a biblical figure or holy saint. Now, names like Joshua, Michael and Jonathan or Maria, Teresa or Ruth, which once had great meanings to both Jews and Christians are no longer thought of in their spiritual contexts. Now, for the most part people have abandonded the spiritual ways and even the knowledge of what NAMES mean and they simply wear them like aesthetic labels. For instance, one day a man named KUMAR came up to my cash register at my store. I told him that his name meant PRINCE. He looked shocked, and said, yes, but most people don't actually KNOW that names mean anything. I told him what my name meant. BILL means PROTECTION, and refers to a HELMET worn in battle. So, all of our names mean something. We need to reclaim the LINGUISTIC knowledge of our names and the SPIRITUAL SIGNIFICANCE behind them. For instance, what an honor to be named HANUMAN or LAKSHMI, etc. In Christian countries many boys are named JESUS or JONATHAN or DAVID or MICHAEL. So often, since the names are common we take them for granted. I think every child should be told why he is named JESUS or LAKSHMANA or MARY or SITA, or that if her name is SURUPA, she must be very beautiful.

Later, Bill

Guest guest

Hello Guest, The call center does'nt "enforce" christian names. It comes with the package, meaning a person working in a call center learns the basic American culture, undergoes American accent training & everything that person would encounter in a call center when working for a call center so he/she is given an American name & most of the American names are christian names. It ain't a war tis'just a matter of adaptability. Morover American cyustomers are quite apprehensive when talking to an Indian agent, things are changing though it will not be long before an Indian uses his/her name. The last company I worked for, I used my Indian name.

Guest guest

Most Indian Hindu names always are names of God. Most people know that including the uneducated. Almost all the female or male names you may find in either Lalitha sahasranama or Vishnu sahasrama. I do agree names have their significance in the way they are called also.

By the way kumar means it also refers to just 'Son" and it also refers to Subramanya swamy (Kumaran) and not only referring to Prince.

Guest guest

Oh yeah, and to the young ladies there that have taken to tight jeans and western dress; Please don't imitate the cheapness of western women. You look so beautiful as you are. Nothing more attractive than an Indian woman in a Punjabi pant suit or sari IMO.

I have actually been to temples where these girls wear shorts, tank tops, sleeveless shirts. It is utterly disgusting. They do this even though their parents bring them, and most of these girls are in their teenage years or older.

They even make fun of girls who wear Indian clothes. I had an Indian-American acquiantance who was traveling through Delhi wearing a Punjabi dress. She went to shop at a mall, and was immediately shocked to see that Indians there were deriding her as a "village girl." Apparently, wearing anything remotely Indian in New Delhi is seen as evidence of a provincial upbringing.

They come to the ISKCON temples dressed like that as well. They turn up at the temple in seriously short miniskirts: what are they thinking? And with their parents too.

Once I got so digusted and I decided to discuss the possibility of introducing a dress code at the temple with a senior devotee, just like the Swaminarayana guys have. He wasn't very encouraging about it, saying that Srila Prabhupada's and Gauranga's mood is all-embracing, and if we close the door to such people then where else will they go? And that we cannot expect much from "Westerners" who do not know the soberness of Indian dress codes. When I informed him that the female that I was talking about in particular was an Indian, he had nothing to say.

Guest guest

See now a days,Sex and image is most essential.

So it's better for indians top go for sex .

That's all!!!I can say.....

Mani.