IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Tulasi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have got a little question considering Tulasi (Ocimum

sanctum). It just won't grow in my part of the world. Is it O.K. to substitute it by the kind of basil used for Italian food (Ocimum basilicum)? Or should I abstain from offering that plant if I can't get the original?

Peace to all.

I planted two vrinda seeds a fortnight ago. I kept 7 seeds my godsister gave me a year ago after coming from Karttika. After few days, two fragile tulasis came up.

Unfortunately, I am in room only during sleep (I work 10-12 hours), so during the day they were all alone. One of them (a fragile one) left the body after one week, because I forgot to close the door (outside it was very cold).

Now she is 1 1/2 cm tall and I am in bliss to have presence of pure devotee in my room. I will need all prayers, hopes and tricks to take care of her, but now I have someone to chant with.

My suggestion is to make friend with devotees who already have experience in gardening tulasis.

Does anyone know when did first tulasi devi sprout in Iskcon in SAD?

Guest guest

in the ancients Mediterranean civilisation this was being a sacred herb also. This is why it is being called as "basilicum" becuase it was being planted and offered at the basilicas which are the shrines. So there is being ancient linkage of sacredness with the Ocimum sanctum and the Ocimum basilicum.

It must also being noted that the Krishna Tulsi is a particular variety of Ocimum sanctum. Simply Ocimum sanctum is not guarantee it is Krishna Tulsi. There are many varieties of Ocimum sanctum. All are revered but one more so.

I can't remember which thread it was in, but I think it was the jnDas (??) who said that if there is no Tulsi and you must make an offering then simply the thought of it being there is enough for Krsna, provided it is done with a pure heart and Love for Him.

Guest guest

Lord Krishna has said that he would accept a flower, a leaf or even water, when it is offered to Him with great love and pure devotion. Basically that is what we lack. The importance of Tulasi is due to the fact, that the Lord gave word to Vrinda (i.e. Tulasi) that none would question her chastity and He would stay always near her. He also promised her that, His worship would be complete, when Tulasi leaves are offered to Him. Since the Lord is so compassionate towards all, He is ready to accept even a flower, a leaf or even water.

Sweet basil, used in Italian cooking is Ocimum gratissimum. It is not the same as Tulasi and should not be substituted in offerings. I've seen sweet basil plants sold in supermarkets in California as holy basil. There are three varieties of Tulasi that I know of: Krishna Tulasi, Rama Tulasi, and a variety called camphor Tulasi.

If you can't grow Tulasi, I've heard Vsishvambhara Goswami of Radha-ramana temple in Vrindavan say that you can chant, "Tulasi, Tulasi, Tulasi."

Yashoda asked: Does anyone know when did first tulasi devi sprout in Iskcon in SAD?

I'm not sure what you mean by SAD. The first Tulasis in ISKCON (and in the West, as far as we know) were planted by Govinda dasi in Honululu on Gaura-purnima 1970. I raised them ever since they sprouted a few days later. Many of them grew to about 8 feet in height in a couple of years.

Babhru das

The Krishna Culture bookstore (krsnacultr@aol.com or www.krishnaculture.com) has three very nice booklets on how to care for Srimati Tulasi Devi in North America. 1) The Art of Caring for Srimati Tulasi Devi by Isanah devi dasi, 2) The Tulasi Handbook, 3)The Life of Tulasi Devi and Her Care and Worship by Amala-bhakta Dasa.

I have found these book very good. They touch on all topics relating to how to start a Tulasi seedling and how to care for Tulasi Devi in North America.

Guest guest

VRINDADEVI IN KAMYAVANA

Posted Image

The deity of Vrinda Devi was installed 5000 years ago by Vrajanabh, the great grandson of Krishna in Vrindavan, India. Vrinda Devi was rediscovered by Srila Rupa Goswami as he was excavating the Brahma Kunda in Vrindavan. She was installed in the right side of the Govindaji Mandir, the biggest and most impressiv red stone temples of north India. Today Vrinda Devi is found in a temple in Kamyavana. The story goes that under Muslim persecusion the Rajput Kings from Jaipur came to Vrindavan to take the deities for protection to their stronghold. Vrinda Devi refused to leave the area of Braj Mandal by making herself so heavy that nobody could lift her onto the carriage.

Vrinda Devi is the original queen of Vrindavan. Through her expansion of unlimited Tulasi plants (Vrinda devis), she decorates the forest of the Braj Mandal which is thus also called Vrindavan (Van means forest).

Guest guest

hi,

I live in southern california, can you tell me which super market has holy basil..

thanks

krithika

Guest guest

Babruji

dadavat pranam.

I see your Giriraj. They are very cute. Please e-mail me-\bugsdmilo@hotmail.com

ys

bhagavan das