IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

cremation vs. burial

Rate this topic

Okay this may seem weird to some but here goes.All over the US some of the most pristine land in and around urban areas is dedicated to grave sites.I consider this a tragic waste of land that will only grow.So here is my alternative.

Instead of taking up the space with large boxes and bones commemrating the persons death, why not instead use the same land to commemrate that same persons birth.When a person is born a tree planting ceremony could be held celebrating the life of the person.A small plaque with the person's name would be placed by the tree so it would remain honoring that person.When the person dies something could be added as attribute.Any family gatherings could be held there.

Gone would be the morbid sense of mourning a death replaced with the celebration of a new life.An idea that should permeate our society in all forms.

The site would be maintained as are burial plots now.They could be both private and public.Both serving as park/open spaces for reflection and contemplation, no sports.Also providing jobs.

The benefits of more trees in our enviroment is well known.They could be beautiful spots.Flowering trees etc.Very garden like and artistic.Walking paths and benches.Well designed and headed by experts in the field.

I'm just floating this out there as a seed idea.What do you think?

theist

ps I forgot to mention what I would do with all the corpses.Cremation.Heck the ashes could be used as fertilizer.Or if you have some sentimental attachment do something else with the ashes.

No more burials.It is a waste of land.

Theist,

I had never thought of something like that before,but it kind of has a good ring to it. It sounds like, instead of being in a cold lonely graveyard, it would be a place of beauty,that could hold fond memories and reflections of the past.. Debbie

planters choice, within certain perimeters according to the general theme of the park. Weeping willows for the overly attached maybe?

Hey there people that call themselves deists. Wonder what their trip is.

Guest guest

Haribol, as one who has been dealing with death and customs of different family members, this is topical. Ashes are okay, but they must be scattered. To leave it in the urn means that the departed is stuck with smelling the mess (subtle bodies do not die as a result of biological breakdown). Graveyards have sealed boxes, same thing. If we are concerned with our welfare and the welfare of the departed, we should make it impossible for the astral body to have a body to glom onto (such as an urn, corpse, etrc.). The astral plane is psuedo spirit, and just as mundane as dirt and water planes now occupied by those called living.

So when the dead guy comes calling, looking for help, chant haribol, and make them approach the guides over there. Burial rites are for those who worshgip in the mode of ignoraNCE, and binds the departed to ancestor association. (I myself, welcome death as a WAY TO FINALLY BREAK ALL ANCESTORIAL BONDS).

just some thoughts, gotta go do some ghostbusting behind my family's back, for as long as they mourn for ashes and bodies (and even mind, intelligence and who he mistook himself to be), the departed will; keep coming and never get away.

Let the dead bury the dead.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

Interesting topic The,

Great inspiration, "whatever great men think lesser men follow." So keep pumpin' it. It's one way to get the environment back, especially if you plant Banyans for each departed soul, but realisticly I think in this age of exploitation the trees may have to be bonsais, when real estate is at a premium.

Like everything, cemetaries also are going thru a revival at present, it's very vogue to spend on the corpse. But it is a far nicer thought to make beautiful garden groves than some of the present graveyards that abound, such morbid places. So long as the departed souls don't then get attached to their trees body, like many lusty creatures already do.

I think the best place for cemetaries is near a sacred place to remind any souls who are attached to be connected to the sacred soil or water as in Ganga, Jamuna etc.

In some big cemetaries around the world now they have whole sections for different cultures to feel at home in their own rituals etc. Especially the Chinese.

Give me the beach at Puri dham to drop in the company of devotees at Ratha yatra, then spread the remains on the waves where Mahaprabhu went mad in Vipralamba.

Save a bit of ash to nourish and serve some coconut tree, for the pleasure of Lord Jagganaths daily meals then distribute to the pilgrims and devotees for their full satisfaction. "The environment is conscious"