IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
atma

Question

Rate this topic

Somebody I know committed suicide and now the relatives in the house see him sometimes. What can they do to help the soul to get peace?

They are ready to try anything.

As far as I know the soul will wonder around until the natural period of death come. Is there a way to accelerate the process?

Guest guest

probably the poor soul dosen't know that he's dead.sometimes after death some souls do not enter light so they are sent back to haunt the place.point is the soul is in darkness.to fasten the process try chanting god's name and try to let the soul know that he is dead and request please go to the light by calling whenever he is seen

Srila Prabhupada's purport on SB, 4.26.10:

A confused, frustrated man cannot get relief by committing suicide because suicide will simply lead him to take birth in the lower species of life or to remain a ghost, unable to attain a gross material body. Therefore the perfect course is to retire altogether from sinful activities and take up Krsna consciousness. In this way one can become completely perfect and go back home, back to Godhead.

Srila Prabhupada lecture in Los Angeles on SB, 25.7.1972:

Just like sometimes a man commits suicide, "I don't want this life." So what is the gain? And that is ignorance. He does not know that committing suicide... He's eternal. He's eternal. Living entity is eternal. He thinks that "By killing this body, I am free from this bodily miserable condition of life." No. He's immediately.., either he has to accept a next abominable body or he'll have to become a ghost. One who commits suicide. Ghost means no material gross life, but the mental, material subtle life is there. A ghost is carried by the subtle body: mind, intelligence and false ego. And one who gets a body, gross body...

Upon this mind, intelligence and ego, one develops a gross body of five elements: earth, water, air, fire. This is the two kinds of body, a condition. And when he's actually Krsna conscious, he's transcendental to this gross and subtle body. He attains a spiritual body which is never to be finished, eternal, blissful life. So sometimes, when Krsna, He's especially kind to a person who thinks that "By... I shall execute Krsna consciousness; at the same time, I shall enjoy this material life," this is foolishness. This is foolishness. If you want Krsna, go to home, back to home, back to Godhead, then you have to finish your material desires. Because Krsna is so kind that even if you have a pinch of material desire to enjoy in this material world, He will give you a chance, "All right, you do it." That means we become entangled. Therefore, those who are executing Krsna consciousness, they should try to become free from all material desires.

Srila Prabhupada's lecture in Bombay on 4.1.1975:

Just like if a man becomes disappointed and he cuts his own throat or hangs him, some way or other, eats some poison, to finish, does it mean that he is finished? Na hanyate hanyamane sarire. He is rascal.

He does not know. By finishing this body he is finished--no, that is not possible. The result is: because he violated the rules of nature, he becomes a ghost. That is his life. One who commits suicide, he becomes a ghost. Ghost means he does not get this material body. He remains in the subtle body, mind, intelligence. Therefore ghost can go because he is in the mind. Mind speed is very strong. If you have got this material body, you cannot go immediately hundred miles off. But if you are in the mental body, you can go immediately, thousand miles immediately, within a second. So the ghost, they can play something wonderful because... But they are not happy because they have no gross body. They want to enjoy. He's materialist. He has committed suicide for some material want. So he is want of material.., fulfilling material desire. He could not fulfill in this body; therefore commits suicide, but the desire is there. The desire is there, and he cannot fulfill it.

He becomes perplexed. Therefore the ghost create disturbance sometimes. So in this way desires cannot be finished. That is not possible. Kama-sambhavah. It is not possible. Therefore the best thing is that fix up your mind in Krsna, in Krsna consciousness. Then you will be happy, the mind always engaged in Krsna's business, Planning how to satisfy Krsna. That you are, require. That is intelligence.

© 1991 by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust

Thank you for the feedback. I told the family about it and they"ll start playing Prabhupada's tapes of bhajans and lectures in the place where he commited suicide and in the places where they see him. My friend will go to the house to read Bhagavatam and CC once a week and they'll have some offerings for the deities here on his name. In that way the soul will get relief.

BTW, today I saw "The Ring" and now they're showing on TV "Ghost". What's going on?

Yesterday was the day of the Death in Latinoamerica. Latinos celebrate in a big way, they cook the favourite foods of the deceased and go to the graves to offer the food to the death.

Getting spooky, better I go to listen to Srila Prabhupada.

Guest guest

i remember once my father told me a story of Srila Prabhupada and His diciples.

Once there was a man living in a big palace-like house in America. He was so wealthy but didnt have mentle peace. He couldnt not sleep every night due to some weird noises of feet, talking, throwing about the things and causing destructions in the house.

This wealthy man had heard about Iskcon and Srila Prabhupada. So he went to Srila Prabhupada to help him out of this proble forever.

Srila Prabhupada simple sent some of his devotees with some pictures or Lord and do bhajans. The devotees sang and chanted whole day and night. Guess what happened?? That night the man could sleep very well. Next morning he went to give a vote of thanks to Srila Prabhupadaji. Srila Prabhupadaji told him to worship Lord in that way everyday in order to keep away from the evil. The man agreed to do so and after that he slept peacefully every night.

Hence, the chanting and singing the holy names of Lord is the only deliverence of the spirit souls and give them birth in higher spices.

Hence, simply chant " Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama HAre HAre.

Hari Bol

Shital

Guest guest

"Slain Indian soldier 'lives on' at China border"

TimesOfIndia: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/xml/comp/articleshow?art_id=27560580

JASWANT GARH: Forty years after his death, an Indian Army rifleman has been promoted to 'major general' and is still believed to command troops guarding the dizzy heights of India's eastern frontiers with China.

Rifleman Jaswant Singh Rawat of the Fourth Garhwal Rifles infantry regiment is the only soldier in the long history of the Indian Army who is known to have risen through the ranks after his death.

Rawat remained at his post at an altitude of about 10,000 feet and held back advancing Chinese troops for three days single-handedly before succumbing to an enemy bullet during the winter war with China in 1962 along Arunachal Pradesh.

The rifleman may have died, but his heroics have not gone unrecognised - Rawat gets an unofficial promotion at regular intervals, with his rank today being that of a major general.

The post that he held to repulse the Chinese troops has been renamed Jaswant Garh in recognition of his courage.

Rawat's act of bravado has earned him a distinct place among all ranks of the Army manning the unfenced 1,030 km Sino-Indian border - for many he is like a guardian angel protecting the frontiers.

Myth, folklore, and superstitious beliefs are so strong among the soldiers that the battle site was converted into a Hindu temple with troops now giving Rawat the status of 'Baba' or saint.

"Army personnel passing by this route, be it a general or an ordinary soldier, make it a point to pay their respects at the shrine of Jaswant Singh or else they invoke his curse," said soldier Ram Narayan Singh.

"A major general once refused to pray at his shrine while crossing the area, saying this was just a superstition, but he met with a mysterious road accident a few kilometers away from here and died," he added.

The Garhwal Rifles are today deployed on India's western borders, but the unit makes it a point to keep at least half-a-dozen personnel here to take care of Rawat as if he were alive.

"For us he is immortal and continues to protect and bless us in this treacherous mountain terrain," said a Garhwal Rifles soldier posted at Rawat's shrine.

He has an orderly who cooks for him daily, makes his bed, irons his clothes and polishes his boots, while guards patrol his shrine around the clock.

"Each morning his bed is found crumpled and his freshly ironed clothes lie crushed on the floor," another soldier said. "He is here all the time although we cannot see him."

According to locals and soldiers posted near Jaswant Garh, Rawat's spirit roams the area and he comes to their dreams and solves their woes and miseries.

"The respect that Rawat commands even after his death is something very rare in the Indian Army," Major Jaideep Ghosh said. "I have never seen anything like this before anywhere of a martyred soldier still influencing the lives of the troops."

Legend has it that the Chinese troops after killing Rawat beheaded him and carried his torso as a trophy after he had stood alone against them, firing from a .303 rifle.

After the ceasefire, the Chinese commander, impressed by Rawat's bravery, returned the head along with a brass bust of the gallant soldier. The bust is now installed at the site of the battle.

"A nation that does not honour its dead warriors will perish," an Army commander remarked as soldiers lit earthen lamps at nightfall to keep Rawat's memories alive.