IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

You've gone and done it this time

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Leonard Pitts has a few choice words for those behind Tuesday's monstrous attack.

<hr>

It's my job to have something to say.

They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.

What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.

Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.

Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae -- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.

But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.

I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold.

As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just started.

But you're about to learn.

<address> Leonard Pitts is a Miami Herald columnist.

</address></p>

Pitts is like a teensy weensy asura, a 1/10,000 Hiranyakazipu.

He refuses to see what he and his country has done that could possibly lead to this in-your-economic-military-face insult.

PrahlAd tld his puffed-up flesh-eating Amerikan-type father:

"Even if you took lessons in God consciousness and God's karma-phalam, action-reaction laws, stll you could NOT understand.

Guest guest

At least Pitts has remained faithful to his wife and kids.

And his son does not hate him and despise him!

You could perharps learn something from him, dude. Nah, I doubt it.

[This message has been edited by rand0M aXiS (edited 09-14-2001).]

Dear Random Tandem,

Would you like to hear the story of who was faithful to whom?

Would you like to see a transcript of my sons and daughters' last email and phone conversations?

Send me your forwarding email address to trund@altavista.com

Or maybe they're faking it. Maybe you know more than me.

Your unelected presidential candidate continues to import cocaine.

Everybody knows it.

You now better than me all the drop off points.

Take your cut, keep your mouth shut, be satisfied.

If you don't understand why we pulled down those Twin Towers by now, ask your favorite White House dweller.

He won't tell, not even you, but he does know.

Guest guest

Touched a raw nerve, eh?

As SNM asked you in Alachua, "So, you are getting much 'sadhu-sanga' tarun?"

LOL!

Originally posted by Tarun:

Dear Random Tandem,

Would you like to hear the story of who was faithful to whom?

Would you like to see a transcript of my sons and daughters' last email and phone conversations?

Send me your forwarding email address to trund@altavista.com

Or maybe they're faking it. Maybe you know more than me.

Your unelected presidential candidate continues to import cocaine.

Everybody knows it.

You now better than me all the drop off points.

Take your cut, keep your mouth shut, be satisfied.

If you don't understand why we pulled down those Twin Towers by now, ask your favorite White House dweller.

He won't tell, not even you, but he does know.

Sounds like you belong in Canada, Tarun prabhu! Got a nice little furnished apartment by the University of Toronto, right downtown. American and Canadian sattelilite T.V. are included along with lots of vaisnava books. The Communist Party of Canada headquarters is only a couple of blocks away, as is the United States Consulate. Perfect for left-wing commie pinko intellectuals to picket! My street is full of outdoor cafes and cheap international restaurants where you could find many to appreciate your particular brand of wit, without confusing it with `twit!

Please let me know if you'd like to trade places for awhile. Another miserable dark slushy winter is approaching, but an advanced devotee such as yourself surely won't be concerned by that. You must be anxious to leave all the capitalist sense gratification in Florida. I'd be happy to help! Peter/valaya

p.s. This offer is also open to any other American devotees who may not appreciate the blessing of American citizenship and residence in the greatest country in the world.

------------------

amanpeter@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 09-15-2001).]

Thanks for the chilling (brr!) offer.

In Sept'85 I found Montreal already too cool for comfort.

Maybe your place differs. tkdas@juno.com

When it comes to true Amerika, I follow MacArthur & Patton.

In Kaliyuga uncultured vaisyas control potential xatriyas.

Patton was murder for speaking truth.

MacArthur was dismissed untimely.

So far I'm concerned, Truman never lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Don't even imagine it. Truman wasn't even his family name.

Subject for another thread.

Certain people in our US Gov't knew before Tuesday morning.

No surprise for them.

An International Bankers meeting was being held Tuesday morning somewhere above WTC's 100th floor.

The pilots were briefed sufficiently.

Each knew as much as he had to know.

VyAsa vetti na vetti vA: Bush may or may have known.

Reagan supposedly didn't know Oliver North was dealing drugs in our White House basement.

Maybe not. He's been spaced out ever since Jane Wyman left him.

Patsy presidents flush more fluently.

Until Noriega is allowed to lecture/testify on ABC/CBS/CNN/FOX/NBC for minimum one hour/day 7 days straight, the whole show is no better than a Hollywood plot directed and produced by... Plead the 5th-ers.

Tarun prabhu, you seem unable to grasp our situation here. There is a proper time and place to address these issues you speak of, or perhaps not. In any case, this is neither.

War has been declared and that demands a certain united focus. When those very freedoms that allow us to think, feel and express our individual views are threatened as they are now, we must voluntarily set aside that individuality and unite as one concerted force on all levels.

This struggle will undoubtedly require spiritual, mental and physical discipline from all of us for what may be an extended time to come. Make no mistake, although all this might seem somewhat surreal for many, we are fighting for our very lives, now and in the future. It will inevitably become much worse, I'm afraid.

Best to face this ugly reality, bring ourselves together in every sense of the word, and get it over with as quickly as possible. War brings it's own set of rules that must be understood and respected by all.

Peter/valaya

------------------

amanpeter@hotmail.com

I forgot that I had such great freedom of expression. In the spirit of free expression, let me celebrate the waves of joy I felt when seeing those buildings destroyed. It felt like such a great retaliation against some of the worst aspects of our country. Everyone's calling the airplane hijackers and their allies "terrorists," but I've been more afraid of my own countrymen. Now I'm mainly just sick of seeing all these flags.

As for the rest of the ordeal, I'm hoping that most of the killing is limitated to assasinations of misguided political leaders and other scoundrels. It would be nicer if the demons in charge of our government would get removed from office by our own people, but after seeing recent national policies enacted, I don't really care who does the dirty work.

In spite of all this country's faults, I don't want to leave, and I do take offense at requests to do so.

If anyone's disgusted by my difference of opinion, just remember that you don't have to read it again. I still have to see hundreds of flags day after day, a frequent reminder of our collective stupidity.

Paul

Originally posted by amanpeter:

When those very freedoms that allow us to think, feel and express our individual views are threatened as they are now, we must voluntarily set aside that individuality and unite as one concerted force on all levels.

Guest guest

Originally posted by paul108:

I forgot that I had such great freedom of expression. In the spirit of free expression, let me celebrate the waves of joy I felt when seeing those buildings destroyed. It felt like such a great retaliation against some of the worst aspects of our country. Everyone's calling the airplane hijackers and their allies "terrorists," but I've been more afraid of my own countrymen. Now I'm mainly just sick of seeing all these flags.

You are one sick puppy.

As for the rest of the ordeal, I'm hoping that most of the killing is limitated to assasinations of misguided political leaders and other scoundrels. It would be nicer if the demons in charge of our government would get removed from office by our own people, but after seeing recent national policies enacted, I don't really care who does the dirty work.

In spite of all this country's faults, I don't want to leave, and I do take offense at requests to do so.

If anyone's disgusted by my difference of opinion, just remember that you don't have to read it again. I still have to see hundreds of flags day after day, a frequent reminder of our collective stupidity.

Paul

With any luck you won't be seeing, hearing, or feeling anything soon since you'll be DEAD! That could be the best way for you to protect the environment...obviously you're far too weak minded to defend the great country you're so fortunate to be a part of!

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 09-22-2001).]

Originally posted by rand0M aXiS:

This stupid little punk ain't worth responding too, valaya. I feel sorry for his pathetic @$$.

The smell of smoke brings termites crawling out of the woodwork in a panic! Makes 'em easier to squash!

Guest guest

We don't waste the 9 cents a bullet cost for his kind. A short length of rope and a tall tree works better...

Originally posted by rand0M aXiS:

We don't waste the 9 cents a bullet cost for his kind. A short length of rope and a tall tree works better...

Just bring back the draft. Let the NCOs go to work on him! Then ship him overseas so he can learn how lucky he is to be an American.

Guest guest

He would last less than a day. About the same time he would last if he went to the rescue site and told the survivors his ecstatic feelings...

Remember that not everyone that lives in the United States loves America. Some are idiots like Paul108. Also, remember that the environmental movement is the new home of communism, and idiots like Paul108 are standard for them.

This is what I mean by pacifist delusions. "Oh look at those big towers, what a sign of unabashed capitalism. Woo hooo, you go terrorists. Take down those buildings." I say ship Paul108 over to the Taliban. Theres a country with no buildings. What a paradise. Its all rocks. I'm sure he can make many Muslim friends with whom he can hold hands, dance around the campfire, living in his little paradise of his own mind. That is until he wakes up from his fantasy and finds his brain blown out all over the ground by his terrorist friends.

You're right Random, he's not even worth responding to.

Gauracandra

Apparently some big money was made by massive stock trading just prior to and after the WTC attack. Terrorists are not beyond picking up a few bucks by any means!

When someone, particularly as part of an organized group, becomes completely obsessed with their belief system, whatever it may be; and acts without consideration of anything besides violently forcing others to share those same beliefs as an active part of that group, it must be taken as a determined threat to the rest of us, regardless of the belief system.

Since these people live in their own reality, recognizing only their own rules, no restraints can be imposed insofar as opposing them is concerned. This is street fighting at it's very worst. Those with no stomach for it would be best to stay out of it, philosophically as well as physically.

The only consideration must be survival at any cost. Morality, religion, economics, etc. are not relevant for now. There is an appropriate time and place for everything and this is the time for a worldwide war, to confront the immediate danger which threatens all of us, in every aspect of our lives. This war will require coming together on every level including, spiritual, emotional and physical, like never before.

Terrorism plants it's deadly weapons within our countries and ourselves, attempting to blow us apart. Hearts must be fused together as one and our common resolve must be firm until victory has been assured for the long term future, if that is even possible. After our first military response, when we judge the results good and bad, there will possibly be some time for broader analysis and discussion by the public at large.

Now, during the calm before the storm, we must steel ourselves and each other for the coming battles, preparing for the worst. Terror is the weapon and it works by instilling irrational fear, disunity, panic, etc. This is what we must resist together if we are to do do the nasty dirty job needed, for the extended time it most probably will take to do it right. Real courage is required on the part of us all. valaya RR

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 09-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 09-23-2001).]

Free speech? Either the terrorists destroyed more than buildings, or that misrepresentation of freedom is what they were angry about.

It's not that you must agree or you should kill me. How is that freedom? How is that so-called freedom worth protecting? The corporate empires have eraticated so many cultures and species. Who could doubt that someone would want to strike back hard?

I do my best to minimize the harm I cause to the world, always remember Krishna, and engage in devotional service to His name, form, etc, though I am not yet very advanced in devotional service. Why would it be ok to silence me with a bullet? Who has the right to ask me to leave the land of my birth when I have harmed no one and yet suffer every day in my material life on account of everyone's desire to lord it over nature. What to speak of unity when you would kill a practically harmless American bodied aspiring devotee?

I cannot help that I felt so joyful when I first heard that the WTC was hit by an airplane and as I watched the morning's events on TV.

If I were put unwillingly into a war I could not take a weapon, only kartals and Hari nama. Then it would be ok for me to be killed, but if I were killed, who would be responsible to protect my wife and children?

I'm sorry for the misery felt by the living, but mostly I was estacic knowing that no one died.

hari bol, prabhus.

y/s

paul108

agtsp

Free speech? Either the terrorists destroyed more than buildings, or that misrepresentation of freedom is what they were angry about.

It's not that you must agree or you should kill me. How is that freedom? How is that so-called freedom worth protecting? The corporate empires have eraticated so many cultures and species. Who could doubt that someone would want to strike back hard?

I do my best to minimize the harm I cause to the world, always remember Krishna, and engage in devotional service to His name, form, etc, though I am not yet very advanced in devotional service. Why would it be ok to silence me with a bullet? Who has the right to ask me to leave the land of my birth when I have harmed no one and yet suffer every day in my material life on account of everyone's desire to lord it over nature. What to speak of unity when you would kill a practically harmless American bodied aspiring devotee?

I cannot help that I felt so joyful when I first heard that the WTC was hit by an airplane and as I watched the morning's events on TV.

If I were put unwillingly into a war I could not take a weapon, only kartals and Hari nama. Then it would be ok for me to be killed, but if I were killed, who would be responsible to protect my wife and children?

I'm sorry for the misery felt by the living, but mostly I was estacic knowing that no one died.

hari bol, prabhus.

y/s

paul108

agtsp

Paul108:

Srila Prabhupada says,in The Science of Self Realization:

"Pariksit Maharaja is a Vaisnava [devotee], and a Vaisnava always feels compassion for others' distress. He is very afflicted by the miseries of others. When Lord Jesus Christ presented himself, for instance, he was greatly afflicted by the miserable conditions of the people. Regardless of which country or sect they belong to, all Vaisnavas, or devotees--any people who are God conscious, or Krsna conscious--are thus compassionate." (Science of Self Realization --- Saintly Compassion)

On the basis of transcendental knowledge as spoken by Krsna in the Bhagavad-gita,it is true that no one actually died in the WTC attack as the soul is immortal.But the fact remains that the attack was perpetuated by demonic terrorists who have no respect for the sanctity of human life.Is this any cause for joy? To have to live in constant terror because of the fanaticism of these demons --- is that any cause for joy? In those attacks,many of the victims (some of whom might never have had spiritual practice) must have left their bodies in a state of complete fear and panic.Is this any cause for joy?

I can understand what you mean when you write that no one died, but I don't think its very diplomatic to go around telling people that.From the spiritual platform,it is true that no one died.But truth has to be spoken under the right circumstances otherwise it will just create animosity.In a period of national mourning,going around telling your fellow Americans that according to Krsna Consciousness,nobody actually died in the WTC attacks is probably not a very good idea.

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 09-23-2001).]