IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
karthik_v

Mahabharat question

Rate this topic

Can some one kindly point me to the verse number in Mahabharat that talks of Pandu's death and his wife Madri getting into the funeral pyre? Also, I would appreciate if anyone can kindly point me to the verse where, earlier, Pandu was cursed by a rshi that if he indulged in conjugal relationshp with his wife, he will die?

Thank you.

I do not have the exact number and the Sanskrit text but it is a well known fact and can be found in many English translations of Mahabharata including the one by Dr. Kamala Subramaniam.

That was the reason for Queen Kunti devi's invoking the gods of heaven to impregnate her with their divine power to continue the Kuru dynasty. Thus the Pandu sons were born to Kunti devi: Yudhishtara - by Lord Yama, Bhima- by Wind god, Arjuna- by King Indra of heaven.

And the twins, Nakula & Sahadeva- by Ashvini devatas, were born to Madri.

Due to the 5 boons received by Kuntidevi, the Kuru dynasty was saved. The first one was used to invoke sun god and Karna was born before her wedding, whom she disowned.

At the time of funeral, only queen Maadri accompanied her husband in 'sati' as she was the cause for the downfall and death of her husband, Pandu who was cursed not to engage in sexual intercourse with his wives.

Queen Kunti had to continue on with her life for the welfare of the five young sons (3 of her own and two of Madri's) until they were ready to rule the kingdom.<small><font color="cfcfcf">

[This message has been edited by sha (edited 06-29-2002).]