IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
JRdd

Weight and muscle gain topics

Rate this topic

Something made me think of skeletons a minute ago, and then I remembered that I have been meanign to put out enquiries for information on building muscle and gaining weight. A lot of men seem to know about these things, and since this forum is mostly men contributing, I was hoping to get some input or ideas. I have been eating as good as I can for months now, with protein and complex carbohydrates as my condition calls for, but my weight remains the same. That's not so bad but the muscle loss is the same, and that is a bother, when you get less able to do things. Are there foods within the range of this diet which contribute to body-building, and are there simple nonstrenuous excercizes, not complicated or hard to introduce to the lifestyle, that could, say, nuuild up the arm muscles? I am not at all talking Arnold Schwartznegger here, that stuff on men is hard enough on the eyes; I'm just talking about normal strength (for a woman, not a man). Also are there hand exercises, compatible with carpal tunnel syndrome?

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming,

Jayaradhe dasi

Guest guest

how old are you?

what is your state of health?

how tall are you?

what is your weight?

do you take any drugs, caffeine, nicotine etc,?

Skeletons.They are walking around all over the place.Well disquised so they don't get noticed.

What is really weird is we are living inside one and pretending that it is us.Another subject.

Weight gain, muscle gain.I recently lost a lot of weight and have to gain it back.

For general muscle toning and strengthening you might want to combine a stationary bike workout with light dumbells.This gives both anerobic and aerobic benefits.

As you bike along you work the dumbells in a variety of ways to work the arm and shoulder muscles.

This hits a lot of areas(but not all)in a short period of time.

Easy meals for weight gain are ground nut smoothies.A little juice and some freshly powered sesame seeds or almonds and you'll be buffed in no time.

Guest guest

better then biking or weight lifting,especially if you are on in years,(those exercises are very stressfull to the knees and joints)is hatha-yoga, join a class the benefit is very immediate and non stressfull.

If you can't do that,swim.Swimming is very non stress, and brings relief to those with arthritis.

Eating nuts for weight gain is not recommended for those who are prone to diabetes, To much fat is bad for those people,and fat ingestion is not good for anyone as a weight gainer,to much fat is bad for the liver,causes lethargy,raises body temperature,and does not cause the muscle mass you desire.

Herbs i recommend for women are as follows:

Dong Quai(Dang Kwai),is a Chines root, known as Ginseng for women,it has many benefits, and is the number one tonic for women in Chinese herbology.

Ginseng, both panax ginseng and siberian ginseng are also very strong tonics for both female and male.

Aswhagandha, this is known as Indian ginseng and is similar in effect to ginseng.

Saw Palmetto, this herb is very beneficial for muscle gain,it causes growth of muscle tissue and is used also for breast growth.

Ginko biloba, this herb has been used in ayurvedic tonics and china for thousands of years,and very recomended.

Ginger, a strong tonic and all around beneficial root.

Herb potency is strongest in extract form,and if possible should be taken as such,follow the recomended dosage on the bottle.

For food, i recommend dates,and grains.

Grains are high in slow digesting carbohydrates ,and give your body a steady supply of energy and food, profeesional athletes carbo-load before activity,for you instead of lots of vegetables or sugars,eat more rice,wheat,corn,beans.

Originally posted by shiva:

how old are you?

I'm not sure. (I have a sudden case of senility)

what is your state of health?

Hep C with severe cirrhosis ("little liver tissue is available", the biopsy report says), and other side effects of the hep c, like chronic fatigue and odema (abdomenal)

how tall are you?

what is your weight?

Almost 5'6, almost 130.

do you take any drugs, caffeine, nicotine etc,?

For my first time, as of this year, I am on regular allopathic medicine. This is prescribed diuretics, to keep the swelling of my abdomen down (caused by liver failure). I am supposed to take quinine for severe and prolonged cramps but an reluctant to take on another medicine, so am putting it off. Very occasionally, vicodine (which I didn't use before this year, but have experienced a severity of pain that has landed in twice inthe hospital). Also very occasionally, marijuana (if you consider that a drug--which it certainly can be, like anything else) to aid with sleep, which isn't as big a problem as it was before.

The suggestions you give below jive with what I am doing and with what I see I can do to improve matters, and I will comment on that next.

Thanks!

ys, JR

I was coming to thank theist for his suggestions and also to express doubts about the wear and tear which biking and even dumbbells might do for me, and to seek further comments on this, then saw this post by Shiva, which I think hits closer to my condition, age, and illness.

Originally posted by shiva:

better then biking or weight lifting,especially if you are on in years,(those exercises are very stressfull to the knees and joints)is hatha-yoga, join a class the benefit is very immediate and non stressfull.

If you can't do that,swim.Swimming is very non stress, and brings relief to those with arthritis.

I had exactly those misgivings. I am not at all up to that sort of exercise. I am also builidng up from severe malnutrition, and have been assured by my doc that it takes a long time to recover from that, so I am hopeful. Yoga is something I have been wanting to do again for some time, and since I don't have the discipline to start a regimen on my own, joining a class is a great idea. I am getting a car for the first time in my life, so will now have the freedom to do that, as well as drive to the lake whenever I want. Everyday! I have always loved swimming way out into the middle of the lake and lying on the water, far away from anyone, just sky and trees and mountains all around. Yoga and swimming feel safe to me.

Eating nuts for weight gain is not recommended for those who are prone to diabetes, To much fat is bad for those people,and fat ingestion is not good for anyone as a weight gainer,to much fat is bad for the liver,causes lethargy,raises body temperature,and does not cause the muscle mass you desire.

Yes, I could not eat enough nuts to gain weight. I have always consumed lots of almonds, which are lower in fat, and alkaline, but even those are becoming less of a feature in my life. It is interesting how different bodies and conditions require totally different diets. Like people with hep c but not cirrhosis have a completely different diet from those with cirrhosis.

Herbs i recommend for women are as follows:

Dong Quai(Dang Kwai),is a Chines root, known as Ginseng for women,it has many benefits, and is the number one tonic for women in Chinese herbology.

Yes, I will get some of this. I used to make my own tincture of this, with asparagus root and ginger root, and I forgot what a strengthening tincture this is, for women.

Ginseng, both panax ginseng and siberian ginseng are also very strong tonics for both female and male.

I thought ginseng was for men and dong quai for women. At least this is what Janet Zand (of Zand Formulas) told me when she gave me the tincture recipe. Do you know anything about this?

Aswhagandha, this is known as Indian ginseng and is similar in effect to ginseng.

And this is good for women? And can it be easily found in the USA?

Saw Palmetto, this herb is very beneficial for muscle gain,it causes growth of muscle tissue and is used also for breast growth.

Oh good one. I will check the effect on my liver, and get some (but will have to program it for muscle growth only; who wants to have to wear a bra?).

Ginko biloba, this herb has been used in ayurvedic tonics and china for thousands of years,and very recomended. Ginger, a strong tonic and all around beneficial root.

Herb potency is strongest in extract form,and if possible should be taken as such,follow the recomended dosage on the bottle.

For food, i recommend dates,and grains.

Grains are high in slow digesting carbohydrates ,and give your body a steady supply of energy and food, profeesional athletes carbo-load before activity,for you instead of lots of vegetables or sugars,eat more rice,wheat,corn,beans.

Guest guest

Reishi mushroom extract, the best is an extract with the mycelium(root).

this is a very powerfull healing herb.

It has an almost immediate effect,and as you take it over time you will see a marked improvement in your condition.

I will get back to you for more on hepatitis herbs.

Ginseng is good for men and women, it improves you immune system greatly.

Also MSM, a supplement is a very good de toxifier and has no side effects.

I'll tell you more tomorrow.

Guest guest

aswhagandha is at most health food stores,and is for men and women.

above all else

For hepatitis c, Reishi is miraculous!

milk thistle,dandelion,schizandra,artichoke

licorice, and other liver cleansing healing herbs are very good also.

avoid fats,milk fats, a little olive oil may be permissable.

Bitter foods are best.

also ginger,tumeric,garlic.

Thanks for all this info, Shiva. I will look into Reishi. Impportant to note is that I have severe cirrhosis, which is a whole different kettle of gulab jamons than just hep C on its own. For years i have been taken milk thistle and dandelion tincture, and other things known to heal hep c, but I think my liver has gone beyond that. Basically, there is't much liver tissue left to save, and I believe all the scar tissue (cirrhosis) which has replaced most of the liver, physically leaves no room for liver growth anyway. I have heard of and am intersted in anything which might dissolve the scar tissue.

About MSM, I have a bulk bag of it, white powder. A few years ago I tried a quarter of a teaspoon in water and got cramps. I am hesitant about it since. Can it possibly be too hard on my system, or shoud I give it another try?

About ginseng, I hate the taste, can not stand it. So please quit dispelling my excuses for not taking it. Posted Image

thanks, JR

I thought ashvagandha sounded familiar but thought I might have seen it in India only. I will check it out. So reishi is for hep C? The rest, yeah I love artichokes, and crave licorice (and now I know why), but last week my doctor said licorice takes potassium out of the body and causes tiredness, and to stop taking it. I gave blood that day for a potassium check and I'll find out what it shows. They have chekce this a few times this year, I think. I think the potassium lack also causes the cramping, now that I think about it. any idea about this? A lot of what I do is based not only on research but intuition and tuning in with my own body.

As for diet, I love and crave bitter melon like it was candy, but there is none around. I regularly use ginger, and espcially garlic ( I think it helps with the toxins in me), but for a while stopped as I found out they thin the blod and I have very low platelets. But they seem to help me more than they hinder. Just how do you find balance between contradictory needs of the body?

Thanks again, in aniticipation, Jayaradhe

Guest guest

Reishi is known to the chinese as the elixer of immoratallity, and is the number 1 healing herb, far more valued then anything else for hepatitis or liver problems.

It can do wonders,get the extract with the mycelium,if you cannot get it at your local health food store,order it,...ther is a good company in oregon who make reishi extracts in pills and liquid form.

MSM causes minor nausea or cramps when first being taken,but goes away quickly.

As for bitter foods,there are a lot of leafy greens that are bitter..

As for ginseng it is an adaptogenic,it helps the body adapt to adverse conditions,..heat..cold..disease..stress etc.

The extracts in little bottles come flavored now,and taste allright,..you can order them if you cannot find them.

Licorice, the herb not the candy, should not be taken for a long period of time,it can cause water retention,and headaches.

It is recomended by chinese herbalists for liver ailments,and is one of the highest regarded tonic herbs.

If your potassium level is low, take supplements.

For cramps Ginger is best,take either juice of ginger,or powdered form ,mix with honey for immediate absorbtion,the more the better.

Also chamomile has a soothing calming effect,and is helpfull.

you might be cramping from any pain medication you take, the anti inflammatory class of pain relievers can cause abdominal pain.

If you take vinegar,that burns holes in your stomach lining.

Okay, I can get it locally, the reishi. They sell it in many forms locally, and I'll look for the Oregon one. What do you know about Oregon graperoot?

On reading books I have on Chinese medicine I see that they are really focused on the organs, including lesser known ones like the pancreas and spleen. But can Chinese practices be mixed with other schools of medicine thought and everything (all the different herbs, etc., can still be effective?

No one ever talks about healing cirrhosis. I have yet to see this. Everyone who talks about healing the liver talks of healing the viruses affecting the liver, or other symptoms, but not about actual advanced fibrosis. I really do think that most hopeful messages I get about what to do for my liver are no longer appropriate to my condition. I mean the milk thistle did not, over the years, show any improvement at all in my overall health. Instead I have been getting worse at an alarming rate. And believe me I have been careful with diet over the years, occasionally splurging on something funner to eat when I feel I can handle it (like temple prasad last summer), buying organic food as the major part of my groceries, juicing, things like that. I pay attention to how foods affect me, too.

I'll give the MSM another shot. I hurt on a daily basis and hate adding more cramps and stuff in, but I will try to see my way through this. Is the bulk white powder good? I have also been wondering this. A local man sells it, cheap. Or is it better to get some more refined version, like in a tablet? Do other MSM preps work, like eyedrops?

Yes, I know about those bitter greens. I wish I had more discipline about taste. the most discipline I can muster about dandelions is pulling them up to make room for the marigolds. Oh but in Chinese medicine it seems they list unexpected foods as bitter foods, like artichoke, and maybe even eggplant? I will find out, unless you have some hints to input here.

Well I never knew that about ginseng. Is there any other natural substance that is adaptogenic?

Licorice yes, well instinctively I quit that a few weeks ago, was taking lots of mg a day. I cannot stand to have any more retention than I already have, and now you say this causes it.

I think I do not need much in the way of liver tonics. There isn't much liver here to tone. It's more about staying alive until they can get me to the transplant list stage, but the evaluation is taking so long to set up as this is an epidemic. Millons are reckoned to have this disease and not even know it. I think almost everyone, in the baby boomer age group especially, should get checked for Hep C (HCV).

I do not know if your solution of me taking potassium supplements is the best for me. I apparently haven't the ability to retain it or something. I get it, but it goes out. This is related to the liver failure (I am officially "end stage liver disease".) I have said before it is interesting to be hit with news of impending death, and to watch the body breaking down. Still, in the conditioned state (and also because it is the nature of the soul, being eternal, to want to be alive) the urge to survive and do the best one can to keep the body going, compells one. Hope I can keep that spirit going.

Okay I forgot about ginger being great for the stomach, and will use it in teas more. I only use a bit in vegetable juice. Honey? That sounds good. I remember that Srila Prabhupada made some comment about life not being worth living if one couldn't even enjoy nice food.

Chamomile, one of my favorite all-time standbys. The happy tea.

No the cramping is from liver failure side affects. I don't take anti-inflammatories, like Ibuprofen. I don't eat vinegar but my hair likes it. So do the pickles I occasionally put on a vegy burger. Vicodin I rarely take and it actually takes away the cramps. I only do a half dose when I do.

Thanks so much for your continuing inputs. It is giving me a lot of ideas. And reminders too.

ys, JR

I am going to try my bulk MSM tonight. A quarter teaspoon only. An email buddy has reported incredible results from this and I think most people could benefit from it.

Guest guest

Graperoot is similr to goldenseal.

Were you taking sufficient amounts of sylmarin? aka milk thistle.

Large doses are recommended for cirrhosis.

many herbs are adaptogenic, reishi,ginseng,aswhagandha are the best.

Reishi is your best bet.

Many green leafy vegetables are bitter,collard greens,mustard ,etc.

When i suggested honey with ginger,i didn't mean to eat a huge amount of honey,just a huge amount of ginger.

Curcumin is also very helpfull for cirhosis and pain.

It is an extract from tumeric,only the extract is strong enough to be of good value.

It is a cox-2 inhibitor, like celebrex, it works on the pain receptors in the brain.

Also myrhh, is an excellent pain reliever and it is also bitter.It acts on the brain in the same way as morphine,without the drug side effect.

MSM is not pleasent tasting, so a capsule might be preferable.

If you are retaining water Astragulus ,a chinese root herb is considered to be a very

good thing for that,and it has properties like echinacea ,you will pee a lot though.

all herbs from any system are compatible according to your condition,many chinese or ayurvedic herbs are also used in the west under different names.

I thought graperoot was something particurly special for the liver. If it is similar to goldenseal though, I will stick to the tried and true latter.

OK I have this list now that includes saw palmetto, astragalus, and curcumin extract, all of which I am drawn to getting asap, then I have also, to introduce one at a time, maybe MSM (forgot to take any the other night, but I remember it as being pretty tasteless, just that you had to gulp it down quick because it settles), and by myrhh do you mean the tincture? I may have some of this. I did not know you could take it internally. I think of it as being for the mouth.

I think I was taking sufficient amounts of milk thistle. I get it in strong tinctures, and was doing 15-20 drops recommended, three times a day. Actually it isn't entirely fair or true for me to claim it made no changes, for I believe that a lot of things I have been doing have kept me going these years. My dad died of cirrhosis at 54. I am a ouple of years short of that age. He was alcoholic though, too. And of course not clued into "alternative" and natural help.

Do you think it is better to get most things in measured form like tablets (as in the milk thistle)? I tend to think of solid forms as being not as easily broken down and assimilated. I have heard that a lot of whole pills get taken straight to the sewage plants! Seriously.

Oh yes I want to get that aswhagandha too. The jury is still out on the ginseng. Takes a lot of education to dispel prejudice.

Anyway, I only add one thing at a time to my system, to let it adjust, and also to observe changes and side efffects, if any.

Oh I like collard greens and mustard, we grew up on that, my mom always grew it as it is like weeds, so I will start eating that more.

I know you meant alot of ginger, little honey. I don't eat a lot of honey anyway. I have seen men who guzzle it down though. Funny critters.

Thanks for the tip about curcumin. That is number one on my have-to-get list now, along with saw palmetto. I have heard that Srila Prabhupada used to advise tumeric in milk for the liver. I imagine that was for less severe problems though.

I take it celebrex is some allopathic pain reliever?

Thanks again for all this knowledgeable input. I want you to know I really am grateful, and force myself over here to this thread even if I am tired, to see what you have to say, and that I am not generally inclined to just accept advice out of hand. It seems you know such a lot, over all, and I feel fortunate that you are sharing some of this knowledge with me.

ys, Jayaradhe

(edited to remove a partial quote accidentaly left at the end)

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 05-26-2002).]

Guest guest

MSM tastes very bitter.

Myrhh is a resin,used to make inscence,as a mediceine it has many usess,..it's very good for the skin..I have not taken the extract..I have taken the powdered resin ,take a tablespoon or more with honey and water,it tastes like it smells ..a little like strong grapefruit..it is stronger then curcumin for instant pain relief.

Celebrex is a prescription arthritis medication,called a cox-2 inhibitor,it's not an herb though and has side effects.

From my reading much larger doses of milk thistle are recomended for cirhossis,The extract is expensive,if you cannot afford large quantities of the liquid, use the extract in pill form,its cheaper.

Reishi is by far your best hope,along with large doses of milk thistle,,studies have shown a reversal of cirhossis,and the rebuilding of the liver,with these herbs.

Computer crashed, jsut got it back today with new hard drive, catching up a bit here now, so it seems like reishi and milk thistle are highlights. these things are on my list and I hope to be able to get them tomorrow, or at least the ones I know recommended dosages of. Saw palmetto really grabs me too.

Now, do you (or anyone) have any thoughts on vitamin E? I know that it is a blood thinner, and I already have low platelets, so that I can't even get treated at a dentists without a lot of back and forth faxing and instructions and permission, etc, but also I know it is known to heal scar tissue on the skin, would this also heal scar tissue of the liver, I wonder? And is it a serious blood thinner? I hear garlic is too, but my body wants it a lot, and I think it is helping with the toxins.

Yesterday I started a medicine called lactulose, to reduce the ammonia levels built up in the system. Mental clarity should come, etc. It seems to be a low impact medicine for side effects, but who knows. When you are on the edge you will do what you need to to survive.

Thanks so much for the inputs.

ys, JR

Other than the milk thistle, the globe artichoke which is also being somewhat thistle like plant is excellence for liver renaisance.

You may be trying to eat two or three per diem of these flowers steamed.

Also if you are not able to tolerate the oils well for the essaential fatty acids, please be trying apprpriate dozes of the spirulina and the bali greens powder.

Most importantly, please be accepting my warm well wishes!!

If u wish to gain weight there's one sure way:

Offend an overweight vaiSNav.

No physical offense required. Just say something like this:

"Prabhuji, forget about yogi pants altogether! R u able to even find dhotis that fit?"

Within a few days u'll feel weight gain. Maybe even overnight.

It happened to me, so it can happen to u.

ps - As for those desiring to lose weight, search out twiggies & fencerails; apply accordingly.

"I noticed your shadow, but as u turned sideways, it disappeared."

Guest guest

don't know about vitamin E,if your taking a multiple vitamin with E, thats probably sufficient.

Reishi,aswhagandha,and milk thistle, combined, is your best bet!

Guest guest

im fine and im 17years old and hieght is 5'3 and wieght is 46

so i wanna be a BODYBUILDER so how i grow up mu mucsels ann weight and my height

Guest guest

i am 5'2" ad i weigh 97 lbs. I have a belly not a big one but you can notice it i want to gain weight every where elso so my stomac doesn't look as big and i am in a good state of healh.

Lift weights and do sit ups. Eat fruit and nuts. Throw away all muscle and fashion magazines that you have. Most important thing is to remember that reflection in the mirror is not you nor a reflection of you. The body is just a corpse flapping for a while as you make your way through this dream.

Vaisnava's are the real body builders. They are realizing their eternal forms in connection to Krsna rasa. Forms that will remain eternally young, free from disease and composed of knowledge and bliss.

All karmis are also bodybuilders. We are karmicly developing our future physical forms by our actions and desires in this life.

The body is important in that it is a good ship for crossing the ocean of misery. It is also good as a preaching/teaching tool for helping others. So from that perspective we should maintain IT in good health.