IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
JRdd

ALA for hcv, diabetes, etc.

Rate this topic

Hari bol, this is about alpha-lipoic acid, and I can't keep putting off posting this info. I feel there may be important information for someone here. Also in the meantime I want to tell the beautiful worm that wrote that I very much look forward to replying, but jsut for now my energy level is letting me do this post only.

I have been taking ALA for a month now, I can not say whether it is helping or not because so many variables could be contributing to my better sense of being in this body, such as sunshine, and rare extended devotee company here, but the doc did say a couple of days ago that my anemia is gone and that though te liver enzymes are still high, things have not got worse and seem stablized right now. Until some extreme fatigue for the past four days, I was feeling pretty fine, and active.

This naturally-occurring molecular substance has been studied longer for its affects on diabetes than hep c, as I understand it, but it has definitely saved many lives of those with end stage liver disease, and it is well-touted for its affects on diabetes and other diseases, too. So I'll just start by posting, separately, different articles I have found on this.

Here is one article on alpha-lipoic acid:

ALPHA LIPOIC ACID

Alpha lipoic acid is a vitamin-like substance that is used as an anti-oxidant. Many sources list it as the most powerful anti-oxidant ever discovered. When looking around at various protocols for hepatitis C, you will find that more likely than not alpha-lipoic acid is considered an important part of the health regimen for patients with HCV. It is considered an important and versatile anti-oxidant that enhances the functions of vitamins C and E and glutathione. For these reasons many people with liver conditions, especially HCV, take it as a staple part of their "treatment programs".

Many doctors who treat patients with HCV prescribe this anti-oxidant, especially those in the natural healing community, although not limited to the natural healing community.

The functions of alpha lipoic acid is to neutralize free radicals in the body by enhancing the anti-oxidant functions of vitamins C and E and glutathione. According to Lloyd Wright (hepatitis C survivor, researcher and author), ALA is "used in Europe to restore liver health and confer protective benefits against oxidative processes involved in degenerative diseases."

Another interesting piece of information about this substance is found in his book Triumph Over Hepatitis C. He states that it regenerates glutathione, giving cells a "double dose of anti-oxidant protection". Further he writes, " It is also easily absorbed when taken orally, and once inside cells is quickly converted to its most potent form, dihydrolipoic acid, an even more potent free-radical neutralizer than ALA. Because both alpha-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid are antioxidants, their combined actions give them greater anti-oxidant potency than any other natural anti-oxidant now known."

Lloyd Wright, claims that he has rid his body of this virus through natural healing therapies and that there are no signs of the virus in his system after his recovery. Among other supplements, he took alpha lipoic acid everyday and suggests it was a "vital" in his fight against hepatitis C.

Other points he made in its favor are: Ester Packer, professor of molecular biology at UC Berkley, says it is the most important anti-oxidant ever discovered; and that scientists have found that it can inhibit replication of HCV-1 and other viruses through its ability to bind directly to DNA.

A holistic physician, Jesse Stoff, M.D., director of IntegaMed in Tucson, AZ, says hepatitis C is a treatable and often reversible condition. He gives detailed description of a case in which it was cured with natural remedies and supplements which can be found on the alternativemedicine.com website. He lists alpha lipoic acid as one of the supplements that should be taken. He says, " it is always useful in treating chronic liver inflammation". According to Dr. Stoff ALA occurs naturally in potatoes, carrots, yams, sweet potatoes. He reinforces that when given as a supplement it can increase the body's production of glutatione, an enzyme that protects the cells from damage by harmful free-radicals.

Overall it is considered to be a very important anti-oxidant and very important in treating chronic inflammation of the liver."

Guest guest

cinnamon,regulates blood sugar.

Taken daily in moderation it is a powerfull medicine for diabetes,and those prone to it.

I don't have diabetes, but I eat lots of cinnamon, everyday, and was thinking of looking up what all it's good for (besides diabetes) and maybe why I crave it. But anyway, alpha-lipoic acid is supposed to be good for a lot of things, but is not produced naturally in the body to the extent it's supposed to, generally. Here's another article about it, that lists all kinds of uses:

Alpha Lipoic Acid is a sulfurous fatty acid that would have been classified as a Vitamin except for the fact that it can be synthesized within the human body.

Lipoic Acid helps to prevent Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) (due to the Antioxidant properties of Lipoic Acid; Lipoic Acid can penetrate eye tissue and protect both the Lens and the Retina from degeneration).

Lipoic Acid protects the lens and retina of the eye from degeneration.

Lipoic Acid alleviates Glaucoma (after 1 month of treatment with 150 mg of Lipoic Acid per day 47% of persons with Glaucoma exhibited improvement in visual acuity, visual field color discrimination and increased lacrimal tear fluid)

Lipoic Acid reduces the incidence of cataracts in persons with Diabetes.

Lipoic Acid normalizes blood sugar levels.

Lipoic Acid (300 - 600 mg per day) reduces Insulin Resistance (i.e. it increases Insulin sensitivity).

Lipoic Acid prevents and alleviates many of the detrimental side effects that occur as a result of Diabetes Mellitus (both Type 1 and Type 2).

Lipoic Acid prevents the (diabetic) Neuropathy that is a common side effect of Diabetes Mellitus [Lipoic Acid improves nerve blood flow, reduces oxidative stress and improves distal nerve conduction in experimental diabetic neuropathy].

Lipoic Acid is a potent scavenger of Hydroxyl Free Radicals.

Lipoic Acid inhibits the cross-linking of the body’’s Proteins.

Lipoic Acid is used therapeutically to treat Liver ailments and it protects the Liver from the toxic effects of many Pharmaceutical Drugs.

Lipoic Acid is an effective therapy in the treatment of food poisoning by toxic mushrooms.

Lipoic Acid helps to recycle Vitiams C and E.

ALPHA LIPOIC ACID

Alpha lipoic acid is a vitamin-like substance that is used as an anti-oxidant. Many sources list it as the most powerful anti-oxidant ever discovered. When looking around at various protocols for hepatitis C, you will find that more likely than not alpha-lipoic acid is considered an important part of the health regimen for patients with HCV. It is considered an important and versatile anti-oxidant that enhances the functions of vitamins C and E and glutathione. For these reasons many people with liver conditions, especially HCV, take it as a staple part of their "treatment programs".

Many doctors who treat patients with HCV prescribe this anti-oxidant, especially those in the natural healing community, although not limited to the natural healing community.

The functions of alpha lipoic acid is to neutralize free radicals in the body by enhancing the anti-oxidant functions of vitamins C and E and glutathione. According to Lloyd Wright (hepatitis C survivor, researcher and author), ALA is "used in Europe to restore liver health and confer protective benefits against oxidative processes involved in degenerative diseases."

Another interesting piece of information about this substance is found in his book Triumph Over Hepatitis C. He states that it regenerates glutathione, giving cells a "double dose of anti-oxidant protection". Further he writes, " It is also easily absorbed when taken orally, and once inside cells is quickly converted to its most potent form, dihydrolipoic acid, an even more potent free-radical neutralizer than ALA. Because both alpha-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid are antioxidants, their combined actions give them greater anti-oxidant potency than any other natural anti-oxidant now known."

Lloyd Wright, claims that he has rid his body of this virus through natural healing therapies and that there are no signs of the virus in his system after his recovery. Among other supplements, he took alpha lipoic acid everyday and suggests it was a "vital" in his fight against hepatitis C.

Other points he made in its favor are: Ester Packer, professor of molecular biology at UC Berkley, says it is the most important anti-oxidant ever discovered; and that scientists have found that it can inhibit replication of HCV-1 and other viruses through its ability to bind directly to DNA.

A holistic physician, Jesse Stoff, M.D., director of IntegaMed in Tucson, AZ, says hepatitis C is a treatable and often reversible condition. He gives detailed description of a case in which it was cured with natural remedies and supplements which can be found on the alternativemedicine.com website. He lists alpha lipoic acid as one of the supplements that should be taken. He says, " it is always useful in treating chronic liver inflammation". According to Dr. Stoff ALA occurs naturally in potatoes, carrots, yams, sweet potatoes. He reinforces that when given as a supplement it can increase the body's production of glutatione, an enzyme that protects the cells from damage by harmful free-radicals.

Overall it is considered to be a very important anti-oxidant and very important in treating chronic inflammation of the liver.

Life comes from life, giving life, spreading, praising and rejoicing in LIFE within and without, in this world and out of this world.

Just as Bhakti begets Bhakti and Prema begets more prema, so your glorious soul continues to infuse all life with the greatest gift of all. From the topmost, to this lowly amoeba in the worms intestines.

Even tho we may aspire for Absolute good Srila Guru Maharaj has told we can still go from 'down to down' with no prospect of bottoming out. Such is the way I feel at times, instead of using my God given wings the caterpillar can end up inside itself, untill the grace of Guru and Gauranga comes our way in the form of the beautiful vaisnavis' or as'.

Oh Lord have mercy! and please kindly bestow that mecy on this fallen soul thru your ever loving devotees.

My thoughts, hopes, ever well wishes and prayers are with you and all those who serve this beautiful reality. Be so kind and send prayers this undeserving way, that I may somewhere in time, gain an opportuity to re-establish my eternal connection to the inner realm of charm, sweetness and beauty.

Below is a link to an ocean of nectar for all to relish.

Keep that heart pulsating, so that ours might also throb. Together that big Mrdanga of combined love for each other will send a sound that can inundate the whole worlds sorrowful misconception, in a vibration of devotional medicine.

Yours in aspiring seva.

Krsnadas

http://sudhirgoswami.com/

Jrdd,

thanks for the posts on ALA.I was aware of it a little but have only been taking 100mg a day.Now I found out 600mg or more is the proper dosage.

I am going to search the web for the cheapest source and will post it when I find it.

Remember Krsna

The best price so far is found here: http://www.totaldiscountvitamins.com/default.asp

Go to this home page and click on the Now co. icon from the list of other co.'s.

When that comes up click on supplements and that will take you to ALA.

The best deal is 120 caps, 250mg for $28.77

My local vitamin shop sells the same brand 60 caps, 250mg for $20.75.

I have never dealt with this co. before but will give them a try.They have a huge selection at good prices.

Haribol

but the doc did say a couple of days ago that my anemia is gone and that though te liver enzymes are still high, things have not got worse and seem stablized right now.

Nice to know. Hope you get completely fine. Posted Image

As always you make pictures with words and heart as beautifully as you do with paint and heart. I can not rival such beauty but can send you back the same well wishes, from my heart.

I wonder if a lot of devotees are going through the carpet being pulled out from under them syndrome. I hear people in general talking about how the wonkiest things have been going on. You make plans, then....I feel that Krsna is nudging me closer to taking true Shelter. He really WANTS us to depend fully on him. All those silly things that happen here, thwarted plans, things falling apart (including the body), it gets more and more obvious who is really the capable one here, and fortunately for us He also knows best what we need. Sometimes my sense of humor dones't jive with His, and I ask "Why? Why why why?" but that is not His fault. A friend sent this reassuring little quote this morning:

"Every moment there is danger. It is not very peaceful living at the present

moment. We are running, we are flying in the sky, we are….we do not say that

this should be stopped, but you do everything in Krishna Consciousnessso

that even danger takes place, ante narayana-smrtih, you can at least

remember Krishna at the time of death. Then your life is successful." SP

lecture, Bombay India, 1972

So glad to see you, Mr Krsnadas,

your servant, Jayaradhe

Originally posted by Krsnadas:

Life comes from life, giving life, spreading, praising and rejoicing in LIFE within and without, in this world and out of this world.

Just as Bhakti begets Bhakti and Prema begets more prema, so your glorious soul continues to infuse all life with the greatest gift of all. From the topmost, to this lowly amoeba in the worms intestines.

Even tho we may aspire for Absolute good Srila Guru Maharaj has told we can still go from 'down to down' with no prospect of bottoming out. Such is the way I feel at times, instead of using my God given wings the caterpillar can end up inside itself, untill the grace of Guru and Gauranga comes our way in the form of the beautiful vaisnavis' or as'.

Oh Lord have mercy! and please kindly bestow that mecy on this fallen soul thru your ever loving devotees.

My thoughts, hopes, ever well wishes and prayers are with you and all those who serve this beautiful reality. Be so kind and send prayers this undeserving way, that I may somewhere in time, gain an opportuity to re-establish my eternal connection to the inner realm of charm, sweetness and beauty.

Below is a link to an ocean of nectar for all to relish.

Keep that heart pulsating, so that ours might also throb. Together that big Mrdanga of combined love for each other will send a sound that can inundate the whole worlds sorrowful misconception, in a vibration of devotional medicine.

Yours in aspiring seva.

Krsnadas

http://sudhirgoswami.com/

Originally posted by theist:

Jrdd,

thanks for the posts on ALA.I was aware of it a little but have only been taking 100mg a day.Now I found out 600mg or more is the proper dosage.

I am going to search the web for the cheapest source and will post it when I find it.

Remember Krsna

Great! I was about to order some from the site posted above, then found it at my local store, for three dollars less plus sans shipping. So I paid $27. It's important to get the right maker, I am told it is a "buyers beware" thing, and that the best out at the moment is apparently European-made. I got Jarrow's Formula on the assumption that, since it was the one recommended on that site, it must be a good one. But if you or anyone finds out otherwise, could you also post recommended brands here?

thanks, JR

Originally posted by Avinash:

Hope you get completely fine. Posted Image

Thanks once again for your well wishes! and I hope the same for you and all the devotees, that you enjoy good health. And happiness--in the highest ways possible.

ys, JR

Here is another article on ALA. (For reader info, HCV means Hepatitis C)

ALPHA LIPOIC ACID

Overall it is considered to be a very important anti-oxidant and very important in treating chronic inflammation of the liver.

Originally posted by JRdd:

As always you make pictures with words and heart as beautifully as you do with paint and heart. I can not rival such beauty but can send you back the same well wishes, from my heart.

I wonder if a lot of devotees are going through the carpet being pulled out from under them syndrome. I hear people in general talking about how the wonkiest things have been going on. You make plans, then....I feel that Krsna is nudging me closer to taking true Shelter. He really WANTS us to depend fully on him. All those silly things that happen here, thwarted plans, things falling apart (including the body), it gets more and more obvious who is really the capable one here, and fortunately for us He also knows best what we need. Sometimes my sense of humor dones't jive with His, and I ask "Why? Why why why?" but that is not His fault. A friend sent this reassuring little quote this morning:

"Every moment there is danger. It is not very peaceful living at the present

moment. We are running, we are flying in the sky, we are….we do not say that

this should be stopped, but you do everything in Krishna Consciousnessso

that even danger takes place, ante narayana-smrtih, you can at least

remember Krishna at the time of death. Then your life is successful." SP

lecture, Bombay India, 1972

So glad to see you, Mr Krsnadas,

your servant, Jayaradhe

In the immortal words of Robin Williamson

"Krsna colours on the wall you taught me how to love You"

Another quote from the same poets "Be glad for the song has no ending"

Who is the painter, the paint, and the painted or the Lover, the loved, and the love being exchanged?

"acharyam mam vijaniyam I am the Acharya" He says. And who is our greatest teacher and example of Love? None other than She. It is Her that descends and acts thru her loving servitors, glorifying Her beloved thru those surrended souls, empowering, inspiring and utilizing those fortunate souls in that pure pleasure potency, the delight that all souls hanker after, and will only ever receive thru Her Divine Grace, as its concentrated flow finds it's way into their immeasurably blessed hearts and they find themselves in the magnanimous distribution of that greatest gift. What better state of existence could one hope to attain.

I have no rivals my dear fren, and I sincerely pray not to be seen as one, but unfortunately my actions don't deserve such an environment. But I know it does exist and I can only pray to aspire, to reach such a state of real Krsna Consciousness some lifetime.

I know too that you could never rival those transcendental vibrations, because they are already flowing thru you, and you definately arn't your own enemy, rather more like the inspiration of those pictures of reality you distribute.

For that I am eternally indebted for your sacrifice in shareing such a selfless self and its life of dedication with us all.

One kind thought or sentiment if placed in the right place is enough to change the face of the whole world. Consider if Arrafat were to give it to Sharon or vice-verca.

Of course I'm not drawing any parralells here, for you, sweetness drips as easy as honey from the trees of Vrndavan. And I take your well-wishes to this war-torn heart with absolute relish and gratitude, for this and more, everything will come with your kind wishes.

Wish me into the sweet will of Their Holy Grace.

Yes I think the carpet is being pulled on many. I know mine was literally pulled last week, But I still have a nice tapestry rug that innumerable great souls have sung and danced on, that I set up over the years especially to gather their footdust. It all helps.

"So the carpet too is moving under you, now it's all eternal Baby blue."

Excuse me if I don't get to respond much as I just got a short block of internet time to touch base, and then I have to get back to a graphic designing course I've signed into, If I can re-enter in the near future I will try, untill then, keep that spirit flying.

I'd still like to hear some of Theists recent travelling tales.

To all the Vaisnavas and Vaisnavis, who are like desire trees fullfilling everyones inner wishes, I embrace ya little pink roots. Offering my koti dandvats I ask you all, Where has that Blue dude gone?

Krsna dasanudas the perplexed.

Dear Mr Krsnadas,

You speak of hankering to be kind and loving while speaking so kindly and lovingly yourself. I've been thinking, about the carpet that gets pulled from underneath us. Of course we always manage to grab it back, and sit on it firmly, in some imagined sense of security. I hanker for the day when there is no carpet left under me even to pull, maybe it'll be worn threadbare from overuse/misuse, or maybe I'll finally lose interest in it. I think when that carpet is gone, then the magic carpet will swoop down and scoop me up to take its place. I think I'll try wearing down the old one by practicing more loving-kindness. Man it is such a harsh world, enough as it is, without spreading more harshness around. It feels like even when we try not to, we somehow manage to hurt others. It's like, just by colluding with this world, we get implicated in all kinds of foul stuff. I feel so ashamed and undignified when that happens (a good deal of the time Posted Image ), as if I am above all that and it was just a temporary glitch in my system. It's a sleazy, sleazy place to hang out in. I boggle to think of the humility of Srila Prabhupada in taking on so many many fallen souls, including some of the lowest of civilization, in spite of being sometimes criticised and joked about because of it. He never wavered. That is real humility.

Originally posted by Krsnadas:

Yes I think the carpet is being pulled on many. I know mine was literally pulled last week, But I still have a nice tapestry rug that innumerable great souls have sung and danced on, that I set up over the years especially to gather their footdust. It all helps.

"So the carpet too is moving under you, now it's all eternal Baby blue."

To all the Vaisnavas and Vaisnavis, who are like desire trees fullfilling everyones inner wishes, I embrace ya little pink roots. Offering my koti dandvats I ask you all, Where has that Blue dude gone?

Krsna dasanudas the perplexed.

Jayaradhe the carpetrider

(edited for semi-significant typos)

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 06-11-2002).]

Natural Health Tip of the Day - Herbal Remedies For Diabetes

Many herbs have a hypoglycemic effect on the body’s blood sugar. These are useful for diabetics who have problems with levels that are too high. Add moderate amounts of the following herbs to your diet: allspice, bugleweed, burdock, ginseng, lily of the valley, nettles, wormwood, goat’s rue, fenugreek, corn silk, buchu and dandelion.

=======

Natural treatment for Hepatitis C shows great promise!

According to reports by users, colloidal silver is giving great relief from this terrible disease.

EMAZING Quote of the Day

A word said is a shot fired. - Uzbek proverb

========

**KRSNadAs Prabhu: Send my regards to Bhaktisudhira GoswAmI