IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tarun

Seatbelts for SAdhu's Safety?

Rate this topic

On this thread we can reveal our experiences in bike/car accidents:

In general, physical motion safety.

One guru-godbrother claims he was saved by NOT wearing a seatbelt.

His car flipped over;

he was thrown out before being burned & crushed.

Exceptions to the Rule?

In light of TKG's + VRndAvanezvarI's recent tragedy, appropriate.

= = = = = = = = = = =

Health & Fitness Tip of the Day

Friday March 15, 2002

Backseat Seatbelts

Many people feel that it isn't necessary to wear a seatbelt if sitting in the back seat of a car. However, new evidence suggests that buckling up in the back seat might not only protect you, but other occupants of the car as well. In a study published in the January 5, 2002 issue of the medical journal The Lancet, researchers examined data from a Japanese traffic database on more than 100,000 injured front-seat occupants in automobile accidents in which there were two or more rear-seat passengers. The investigators found that front-seat occupants who wore a seat belt were nearly five times as likely to die in a car accident if the rear-seat passengers were unbelted. Had rear seatbelts been worn, nearly 80% of deaths of belted front-seat occupants could have been prevented. These results add additional evidence to support the saying "buckle up!"

- M. Ellman

Seatbelts: My folks were in a head-on collision in June '65, about two weeks after my high-school graduation. Two things saved their lives. One was that they were driving a Mercedes; even then, they were incredibly safe cars. The other is that they had their seat belts on. That apparently got my mom an extra 32 years.

Bicycle helmets: My older daughter (25) was run over by a car or truck last month. Her helmet was destroyed, and I'll always be happy she's a fanatic about wearing it. She got off with broken bones and a really bad concussion.

Great to hear she's mending. Young vital people can heal fast, but they also have less patience than us. I bet she will soon be looking back on this. I hope so anyway.

I have always been religious about using a seat belt, and the one time I couldn't, as there wasn't one, and I was a passenger, the car ending up smashing into the end of a multi car crash on the motorway in England. I still suffering the affects. But not near as much as in the first few years. The body is a miraculous design, even if our attachment to us lets it cause so much misery.

Srila Prabhupada was in the back seat of a car once, I can't remember who was driving but I think Brahmananda was there, and there was a head-on kind of crash, not too bad, but Srila Prabhupada was saved by his cane, which he propped up and was leaning on. At that time he said any speed higher than 40 mph is dangerous. It'd be nice if someone could verify this well known story.

JR

I heard same story. He propped up his cane just before crash.

It was as if he knew/could foresee what would happen next.

Like certain species can tell a storm or earthquake is coming.

SP's premonition was generally supernatural.