IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Acupuncture for the Heart?

Rate this topic

Acupuncture for the Heart?

Study Examines Alternate Treatment for High Blood Pressure

By John McKenzie

N E W Y O R K, Feb. 27 — By his own account, Dr. Randal Zusman, Director of blood-pressure medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital, is a pill pusher.

"I am very aggressive in the treatment of high blood pressure using drugs, using pills," he says.

High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a major risk factor for heart attack and stroke. Middle-aged Americans face a staggering 90 percent chance of developing the condition, according to a new report in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

But the drugs used to treat it must be taken daily, usually for a lifetime. And they may have side effects, such as fatigue, depression and dizziness.

So Zusman is looking for alternatives for relieving hypertension. He thinks he may have found one in the ancient Chinese technique of acupuncture.

"There is an extensive literature from Asian and Russian communities that acupuncture does indeed lower blood pressure," he says.

American researchers have already shown that special acupuncture needles, when gently inserted into specific points on the skin, can stimulate nerves that reach up into the brain and to cells in the brain that control blood pressure.

"There's evidence from our laboratory and many other laboratories to suggest that the cells quiet down after acupuncture," says Dr. John Longhurst professor of medicine at the University of California, Irvine.

When those cells "quiet down," or become less active, blood vessels relax.

Clinical Trials Continue

Now, in the most rigorous study of its kind, patients with high blood pressure — 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic) or higher — are being given a series of 12 acupuncture treatments.

The study is not yet complete, but Zusman is already enthusiastic.

"A substantial number of our patients have responded with significant reductions in blood pressure," he says.

Patients like Rip Reeves are also impressed: "In my late 30s, I was probably 145/95; with medication, I got it down to 130/80. And since I've been on acupuncture and not taking medication, I've been averaging 125/75."

Perhaps most amazing, acupuncture's benefit can be long lasting. Some patients who received the acupuncture treatment nine months ago still have normal blood pressure.

"The implication," says Zusman, "is that 12 acupuncture treatments over a six-week period will produce a cure."

In this case, the doctors defined "cure" as maintaining normal blood pressure for one year without medication. And that, for some patients, may now be within their reach.

Health & Fitness Tip of the Day

Beans For Your Heart

You know how the POETIC saying goes: beans, beans, they're good for your heart; the more you eat the more you... well, you know the rest. You can finish singing it yourself. The reason I bring this up is that new evidence suggests that beans, and other legumes, really are good for your heart! According to a study of more than 9,600 Americans published in the November 26, 2001 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine, those who consumed legumes at least four times per week had a 22% lower risk of developing heart disease over the 19-year study period as compared to those who ate legumes only once weekly. The reason may be that legumes contain many healthy compounds, including magnesium, calcium, potassium, folate, and soluble fiber.

- M. Ellman

These tips are for educational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical attention or professional diagnoses. If you have health concerns, or want to start an exercise program, please consult your health care provider before embarking on any activity or treatment.

EMAZING Quote of the Day

Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre