IndiaDivine.org

Vaisnava Family Development

Rate this topic

Gauracandra

I was just curious about the parents out there who are raising their children as Vaisnavas. What sort of foundation of values do you think the Vaisnava tradition brings that will help guide your children? What problems do you see as they grow up as Vaisnavas in a western world? And what do you think in practical terms the broader community could do to better assist in your childs life.

I don't have any children, but I can try to brainstorm some ideas. But it might be helpful to get a few seeds planted by those with practical experience in this regard.

Gauracandra

From what I have seen, the best devotee children tend to come from the simplest devotee parents. Sometimes I think it might even be genetic. I posted similar thoughts in the past. Children who I would say are in the mode of goodness, almost always their parents are calm, peaceful and humble.

But then we have the wild children (many of whom unfortunately are from temple authorities). The only way to handle children who are in the mode of passion is by discipline, and finding a way to focus their energies in a positive direction. This has not been one of our strong points. If we don't engage these children's energies, they just end up watching MTV and acting foolish.

Unfortunately, due to our small size it is often difficult to create programs to engage these children. Something like the Boy Scouts (or Girl Scouts) would be good, but it really isn't very practical with just a handful of kids.

Just a few thoughts.

Gauracandra

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Unfortunately, due to our small size it is often difficult to create programs to engage these children. Something like the Boy Scouts (or Girl Scouts) would be good, but it really isn't very practical with just a handful of kids.

Stone: Actually, when San Diego temple was full of devotees in the early '90s, Sarvasatya had a Boy Scouts troop for devotee boys.

Was it affiliated with the Boy Scouts? That would be interesting. Or was it devotees who created a Boy Scout like organization. I think getting these kids into nature, with kayaking, camping, hiking etc... would be a great way to take these passionate kids and put them in a mode of goodness.

Its just a matter of focusing their energies towards positive ends.

Here is another idea. I think Iskcon should work to build up a mentoring program. We should build a database of devotees, with their occupations and skills. Then try to match those young adults with the more experienced adults. So if a devotee kid wants to become an artist, well work to build on that skill by getting them mentored by an artist. Or if someone wants to learn computer programming, it would be very helpful to ask a devotee who knows computer programming. Should one focus in on C++, or Java, HTML etc...? I think such a setup would be very beneficial. Of course it would all be voluntary, but atleast those who would want to participate would be accessible. There are advantages to being small, one of which is that you can create very tight, and efficient networks. Then it is just a question of tapping into the true potential of those networks of skills and knowledge.

Gauracandra

Great idea, the mentoring program. I think we could start with what we have now, and not wait for any more kids to get older. For example I would be willing to take someone in who wanted to explore artistry. Not only by living with someone (myself) whose whole life is art, practically, but also direct him to excellent classes at our local college, where fees are covered by the State as long as one can show California residency for at least one year.

But not only artistry. One could take advantage of the nature here and learn alot both by being in nature and also going on some of the hands on seminars put on by a local who teaches herb identification, making tinctures, eating from the wild, etc. And supplement that with a classes on say botany, ecology, etc, from the college. I love next to a river and surrounded by trees and mountains so it could be an ideal setting.

Deity worship, cooking, so many things could be done. I think it is good to expose a child to a variety, within their own inclinations or tastes or talents, and let them take time flowing into what is appealing and natural to them. I'm no business type, but they could attend courses on career research and also have a career counselor from the college as well as a great independent employment type place here that focuses on finding what you want to get into.

These are just more ideas, in addition to your computer ideas. This could really take off.

What if we somehow started a datebase of devotees, and matched mentors with students? That could be so dynamic for all involved. Maybe I could set up some website about this, or if someone else feels the urge to do so go for it. Otherwise I would be happy to work on it if there was a small core of devotees to discuss how to go about it, and give me advice, etc. What do you think, GC, or anyone?

Jayaradhe

Jayaradhe,

I think this idea can work. The internet can connect people across vast distances. This way, people of similar interests can communicate their ideas. I don't think people would necessarily have to physically meet, as this would be a little troublesome (no one area has all the skills to match the varied interests). But through email people could connect, and discuss career paths, get advice etc....

Gauracandra