IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Maitreya

Jhulan-yatra begins today

Rate this topic

Jhulana yatra—the swing festival beginning on the third day of the month of Shravan (July-August) and lasting for a fortnight. The swings, usually made from gold or silver, are hung in temples on which the Deities are swung during kirtan by the guests and Vaisnavas.

I love this festival.When all get to swing Sri Sri Radha-Gokulananda,if even just for a few moments.For five evenings in a row no less.

As we have already explained, there are different ceremonies to be observed, such as the birthday of Krsna, the birthday of Lord Rämacandra, the birthday of some prominent Vaisnavas, the ceremony of Jhulana-yäträ with the Lord sitting on a swing, and Dola-yäträ (the Lord’s activities in the month of March). In all festivals the Lord is seated on a car, and the car moves through different streets of the city so that people may take advantage of visiting the Lord. In the Bhaviñya Puräëa it is said, “In such a ceremony, if even a candäla [dog-eater], simply out of curiosity, sees the Lord on the cart, he becomes counted as one of the associates of Visnu.”Nectar of Devotion ch.9

Over here they have Jhulan morning and evening. I love the festival too. Monday started swinging Rukmini Dwarkanath, what a nice way to start the week.

This month is full of festivals. Today Ekadasi and Jhulan for 5 days. Friday Lord Balaram appereance's day. Sunday is Ratha Yatra. Sunday next, Janmastami and the day after Vyasa Puja. Two weeks later Radhastami....Fasting and feasting. Posted Image

Originally posted by atma:

Over here they have Jhulan morning and evening. I love the festival too. Monday started swinging Rukmini Dwarkanath, what a nice way to start the week.

Probably here also atma, but I can't remember the last time I went to the temple in the morning.

I'll ask today and who knows I may get inspired enough to drag my lasy bu...I mean mind over there to attend.

YS MC