IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Maitreya

Bhakta to bhakta-who are we to each other?

Rate this topic

Dear friends,

This thread is opened for the heart felt airing of all that brings us together and keeps us apart.How do you feel in this movement say in a black body in the USA or Europe?Or a White one in India?Or as someone like myself who is a fringey type at best?I know many of the woman feel cheated and used.Let it out.How about the kids?It must be strange for them growing up in today's society and the parents trying to guide them to Krishna, seemingly against all odds.So many angles of vision that I have only guessed about, being so 'self' absorded as I am. How about our Indian bodied brothers and sisters.We don't hear enough rom you I feel.

Let's drop the walls,take down the facades,lay the masks aside and try to talk soul to soul as best we can.

I'll start.You know for years I have felt uneasy around going to the temple.For some reason I don't really seem to connect with others on a deep and meaningful way.I always have a certain guard up.Suspicious of others motives etc.I also sense this in others.How do we bridge this gap?Materially we may have so many different interests,but Lord Caitanya's movement is above that.So am I even in Lord Caitanya's movement?

I am trying to speak from the feeling side a little bit without analyzing too much on what comes out, at least at first.

Anybody else or am I just going off on some sentimental tangent?

MC

A big part of the answer to your question is:

Diversity is a weakness.

I have been doing my own research into other religious traditions to find out what factors tend to make a religion successful. One of the key factors is developing a sense of ‘peopleness’. How do people relate to one another? People relate because they have a common cultural background, have common approaches to the world, have common interests in general, have common ways of speaking and acting, have common notions of what is right or wrong, have common ideas of what is important etc…

The most successful religions are those that are as homogeneous as possible (at least early on). Everyone knows what they can expect from one another and how to approach each other whether it be in anger or in love. Now fast forward to the Hare Krsnas. In my opinion, we are one of the if not THE most diverse religious group. I’ve made a posting in the past explaining the diversity at my temple, and I’ve seen the same thing at other temples I’ve frequented. Next time you are at the temple find two people and ask yourself a simple question “What do these people have in common that they are both devotees?” I’ve done this and almost never can come up with an answer beyond they love the deities, kirtan, and prasadam Posted Image Beyond that most people have nothing in common for them to relate to outside of the temple environment. We’ve got different races, ages, economic backgrounds, cultures, ideas for doing things etc….

If you wanted to make interpersonal relationships work out better then the best thing for the Hare Krsnas to do is to start cutting back on its membership. There are some groups that only focus in on certain niches – like teaching yoga to suburban housewives with family incomes of $100,000 per year. A nice clean homogenous group. Get rid of all the chunks and differences. Blend it up, homogenize it, pasteurize it, run it through a sieve a few times. Once a group loses its diversity it becomes much easier to relate one to another. We’ll all be the same. We’ll all have the same ideas of how to do things, the same background, the same income levels, the same approaches to anger and love.

Diversity is a weakness – but homogeneity is really, REALLY boring.

Gauracandra

Your comments are interesting, Gauracandra. Here in Montreal, the Ritvik group seems to consist primarily of Quebeckers (French Canadians). Though Vishwambhar is French Canadian, the Iskcon temple's language is practically speaking English.

On Sunday, they had four Gita classes -- English in the temple room, French, Tamil and Russian (there are about 25 Russian regulars).

In general, I have found that Indians and Americans don't mix much. But the Indians who continue to support Iskcon are generally quite committed. There is a solid group of Bengalis at Montreal Iskcon who have consistently participated in temple activities and donated generously with their time and money, despite all the vicissitudes of the movement. They have been the most consistent thing about the temple.

Anyway, I think that though you may be right in part, on the whole, you are wrong. The variety is a strength. It means that when one portion of the movement weakens, others can become strong. It gives the opportunity for different national expressions of Krishna consciousness, the chance for different cultural assimilations to develop. Look at how since KC has weakened in N.A., how it has spread in Latin America and Eastern Europe.

Haribol. Jagat

I really hope that Gauracandra was joking or sarcastic went he wrote the things above. The beauty of this movement is that we all know at least teorically that we're spirit souls, WE ARE NOT THIS BODY. All that homogeneity is based in the bodily conception of life. We're all together in this path because we want spiritual life and that's why so many diverse people is atracted to it.

How can you suggest to cut the membership? Have you seen how many people comes to the temple lately? Less and less. Actually we have no numbers. We're nothing in quantity and still we mistreat people and send them away, like we're millions of Hare Krishnas and we can afford to lose people.

Where is the compassion and love for all living beings. Aren't we parts and parcels of the Supreme Lord? Is not the Lord in your heart in my heart too and everybody's else?

One senior devotee was telling me how went she was living in Oregon, she saw the interaccion of the mormons. If somebody new arrives in the area they make a point to help that person and family out in every sense. Job, house, schools, etc, etc. The person feels welcome, apreciated and care for. Who will want to leave a church like that were they care for you?

On the contrary over here, they mistreat you and at best show indiference. "Everything is karma, prabhu". In the name of karma, we become very cold and impersonal. So sad, the impersonals that worship a personal God. More to say but again no time.

Let me be very clear - I love the diversity of this movement. So many different people, who ordinarily would never come together. The only thing that holds them together is the Holy Name. I am not suggesting that we cut membership etc... But a homogeneous group of people can relate to one another better.

I came to this conclusion by trying to determine what factors are necessary for a religion to grow and flourish. One key factor is for the members to become a 'people'. What does that mean? It means to have a common connection to one another, a sense of history and destiny. Not a bunch of disparate individuals, each with their own plans, doing their own thing.

Diversity can be useful in one sense. In my opinion, the sheer diversity in India is what prevented it from ever being destroyed and vanquished by the British, the Muslims, Christians etc.... Look at how many culture in the world have been wiped off the face of the earth. But not India. Its still there. Why? Because there was no one head to cut off for the body to die. But at the same time, it is my thesis that one of the reasons that Europe prospered economically (for instance) is because they created a common religion - Christianity - that united a broad geographic group. Thus they were able to move forward economically, socially, religiously. In India today you have people who want a country for Sikhs, for Tamils, for Gujaratis etc.... Everyone has their own caste, their own language etc.... What Caitanya Mahaprabhu decided to do was give a common platform by which all these people could relate to one another - that being the Holy Name.

I look at the diversity at my temple and marvel at how many different people there are. Its great. I love it. The only unifying principle is the Holy Name and the power of Prasadam Posted Image But on a day to day basis, for management, for relating to one another outside of the temple kirtan, most of us have nothing in common.

A homogeneous group is capable of creating a sense of peopleness. A sense of shared destiny. With that, then such people can relate much better to one another.

Gauracandra

Hari bol, freinds, I like this idea of a thread, though was thinking I'd see more hanging out, maybe a bit more risk-taking, but really, how do you do that in cyberspace when only Krsna knows who all's reading these. How much can you reveal in a place where you do not feel entirely nurtured or accepted? And how can you feel that way in such a wide open space. (back to the small is beautiful idea). which brings me to say, that even though this is my main association, and for which I am grateful beyond words to describe, still I feel also the angst of separation and feel as if the written word is where our friendships and commitments with and to each other stop. This is not multidimensional depth from where I stand, but I also stand still to be corrected on this if need be. I am sad when I feel that someone doesn't want to meet me personally, but acts as a friend cyberly, I for sure appreciate that friendship, but can not help but also feel hurt that I may be avoided, as if there is soemthing wrong with me, when we come to be in the same temple or celebration.

Anyway, there is a lot more to say, about many many things, but I will start and stop here for now, and let someone else speak next.

your servant and aspiring friend,

Jayaradhe

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Dear friends,

This thread is opened for the heart felt airing of all that brings us together and keeps us apart.How do you feel in this movement say in a black body in the USA or Europe?Or a White one in India?Or as someone like myself who is a fringey type at best?I know many of the woman feel cheated and used.Let it out.How about the kids?It must be strange for them growing up in today's society and the parents trying to guide them to Krishna, seemingly against all odds.So many angles of vision that I have only guessed about, being so 'self' absorded as I am. How about our Indian bodied brothers and sisters.We don't hear enough rom you I feel.

Let's drop the walls,take down the facades,lay the masks aside and try to talk soul to soul as best we can.

I'll start.You know for years I have felt uneasy around going to the temple.For some reason I don't really seem to connect with others on a deep and meaningful way.I always have a certain guard up.Suspicious of others motives etc.I also sense this in others.How do we bridge this gap?Materially we may have so many different interests,but Lord Caitanya's movement is above that.So am I even in Lord Caitanya's movement?

I am trying to speak from the feeling side a little bit without analyzing too much on what comes out, at least at first.

Anybody else or am I just going off on some sentimental tangent?

MC

In looking inward I find that I don't really feel a sense of mission any more.I seem to be trying to find a comfortable place as a urban hermit who visits the temple occasionally for kirtan.But Prabhupada's efforts were outreach based.Take it to the streets with boldness.Spread the rays of the benediction moon.The temple is there to support that.Basically this is a street movement in many ways.So many other things as well, but if we neglect supporting the outreach componet it all gets backed up some how.

I feel that it is that sense of mission that will carry us beyond our false designations.Working together on projects that bring Krishna consciousness to others, makes the superfical differences just drop off to a greater extent.

But we have to be sattvik in our dealings.

I'm not doing that so no wonder I have problems relating to others.I'm selfish.I have become really attached to my little life and avoid anyone that may disturb it.

Trust is another issue.I don't trust 'Hare Krishna's'.I have been ripped off by the very people I chant with and it just doesn't appear to bother them at all.

If we develop the tendancy to justify scamming people in the street we will find a way to try and justify scamming each other.

Case in point.At a recent ratha-yatra someone was selling CD-roms of the Srimad Bhagavatam.I commented that the price seemed rather cheap.The person then grabbed some price list and said to me "Oh, you're right it's really double that".Being a simple fool I paid double.Later to find out he saw my ignorance and decided to double the price.Okay my fault for trusting him.I accept that.But then I see him at the temple and he gives me a big Haribol and smile.Yeah right.I spare you by not giving the rest of the list.

The point is most Christians would have said no it really is the price its marked and not cheated me.Most'karmis' would not have cheated me.

So let's start being a little more honest in our dealings.

Okay that's off my chest.Whew.Thanks for lisening to my little rant.

YS MC

Guest guest

Confessions of a 'bhakta' like me:

1. I chant harinama that is very powerful, and therefore I am also a very powerful one, I am a bhakta.

2. I am vegetarian, so I am pure and superior than omnivorous ordinary humanoids.

3. I took Vaisnava-diksa and all my sins were burned forever, ordinary people who are not initiated in my sect would face the terrible fate of to born again like animals, or like ordinary karmis, rascals, hypocrites, demons, etc.

4. Only my sectarian viewpoints are correct in all aspects, as they are supported by powerful and infallible acaryas.

5. People are suffering in this world only due their ignorance caused by maya. I have nothing to do with their karma. They will be released from all suffer as soon as they adopt harinama.

6. All relationships I may have in this world are all temporary and they only will cause damage to my bhajana, therefore it is better to leave alone like a urban hermit and occasionally to have some meetings with some people of my sect.

7. My religion is superior than all the others and only it can give one the utmost experience of divine love.

8. Only those who follows all the rituals of my sect are eligible to advance in this spiritual path.

9. I'm controlling my senses, my mind and intelligence and I have no more interest in this world. I am freed from maya forever.

10. Now I am convinced that such a hellish discipline will lead me to hell!!! What a nighmare!

One of the things that irritates me the most in this 'society' is the treatment of women and children. Inmediately comes to my memory this very nice and dedicated lady, who lived in Mayapur from 1973 when hardly anything was there. She did so much austerity and service and was a great cook. She cooked for Sri Sri Radha Madhava for years. After many years of living of living in celibacy with the husband, they decided to have a child. Bhavananda ordered them to go out of Mayapur for procreation because was the holy dham (they went to an hotel in Navadwip -like there is not holy too). Anyhow, she got two beautiful boys, continued her service to the deities and when the first building in the grihastha area came up, BAnanda gave them one of the aparments because of so many years of service. After Bhavananda left, the husband decided to have an studio in Calcutta (he is an artist) and trained many bengalis to reproduced famous paintings and sell to the devotees when they were coming for Festival. Everything looking good. Wife and kids in Mayapur, he used to come in the weekends from Calcutta and do his pujari and Samadhi services. One day to surprise him on his b-day she showed up in Calcutta with the kids and found him in bed with another woman! He decided to go with the other woman and left his wife and kids abandoned in Mayapur, without any money and protection. He moved to Hong-Kong. This lady tried to survived with whatever little she had, selling few paintings, making bread, cakes, etc. The temple management decided to take the apartmen from her because Bhavananda gave them the apartment and he wasn't around anymore and she didn't need it because she didn't have a husband and she could put the kids in the gurukula. They moved her from her house and gave her a room. She did put the kids in the gurukula and didn't have to pay for it because she was cooking for the school. When the kids got molested and she took them out, she had no source of income. She started selling even the shelves from her room, books, anything to survive. On top of that their visa run out and she has to come out with the money for tickets to go somewhere. Somehow, selling the last painting left to one Maharaja that cheated her, she got the money. All this time she was still hoping that her husband would come back to them. Even she did the Katyayani Vrata! For one full month she eat once a day rice and dalh boil together without any spice or salt, to bring the husband back. It was almost time to leave India and she was completely disappointed with the devotees but still chanting all her rounds, going to all the programs and doing service. On the train to Delhi she met this 'karmi' man and they become friends. I forgot to mention that some authorities told her that she'll never have a chance to get another husband because she was over 40, ugly and with 2 kids. Somehow they changed addresses with the guy and to her surprise when she was in England this man showed up in the Manor and asked her to marriage him! She accepted because the situation in England didn't improve, a single woman with 2 kids and no money is not welcome anywhere. Now for the last 10 years she is been living in Austria with this 'karmi' that is a nice husband and father for her kids. They have 2 more children together. Should we blamed her because she went away? Should we blamed the 'devotees' that didn't help her out in her moment of need/

Another story; this American family with two children moved to Mayapur. After 2 years doing service, the man decided to leave, he just took off one fine day and left wife and kids in a foreign country, without money. The management decided that she was 'dangerous' because she didn't have a husband anymore. Make her life hellish. That woman didn't have anything to eat. Somehow with some people's help, she went to England and now she is living outside with a 'karmi' that he is taking care of the kids and her. The husband is here in California, married again, doing service for a temple and like was OK to leave the family stranded in India.

I know that many of you can come out with stories like that, it just break my heart.

Guest guest

Dear Atma, pranam :

Thank you for your sincere and kindly words. They show a beautiful vaisnavi's heart. Actually Hari is not attained only because someone is a member of a sect, and it is better to seek after some new flowery fields, as one may notice that inside this sect his (her) heart is drying. There is natural and pure bhakti, with no dry siddhanta, no rules and regulations of vaidhi-bhakti, no criticism, and only pure love and affection towards Hari. There are many Vaisnavas' philosophical concepts with no maya, rascals, demons, atheists, sahajiyas and others ghosts that shade our love towards Hari's lilas. Hari has become many to expand His own lila, your family and all people are part of this lila too.

"Do that which feels natural and good in your own heart. Let your heart be full of love, devotion and innocence. Hari will take care of the rest." These are sadhus' precepts...

your friend

Satyaraj

<title>We MUST Surround Ourselves Somehow or Other with Bhakti-lata</title>

<h6 align=center><hr>HARE K R I S H N A </H6></hr>

<h6 ALIGN=CENTER>Atma wrote:</h6>It hurts though that devotees are not up front, I'm very honest, and if something bothers me, I say it. I hate misunderstandings. People talks bad, I go to the person and try to clarify things. I thought I had a friend, but that person is avoiding me like a have the plague or something. I prefer thousands times that somebody tell me that I don't like your association for this and that reason, or plainly I don't like you than just do like nothing happened and you don't exist anymore.

Anyhow, I'm learning a lot, experiences don't come easy. Break my heart though that the devotees are so indiferent to another's feelings. Serious doubts about letting my kids growing up in this environment. Don't feel like going back to the family because even though they're pukha karmis, they're really nice. The girls may think that is OK to eat meat, smoke and sex if they're really caring people. The 'devotees' didn't care.

Maybe I said too much, but I had to let it out.

<hr></hr>

<font size=6 color=CC9999>

You are truly the "real" vaishnavi brahminical devotee. Whenever you come into my home I will give a suitable place for you to rest.</p></font></center>

Dear Atma prabhu,

Just being who you are, so honest and true, you reveal yourself as a wonderful person, and I too welcome you if you ever get a chance to have a break in the beautiful mountains of Northern California. I laud your bravery and your gumption and I pray that the dilemma you face is resolved. The dilemma of whether it is better not to raise your children around those you see as cold and unsupportive, though they be dressed as devotees.

All the other stories you told here were also heartbreaking. Not new, not worse or better than ones I know of, and elements of them not unfamiliar to me personally.

best wishes,

your sister, Jayaradhe

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 07-03-2001).]

All this time who is been there for support?, separate for 1 devotee, they're all 'outsiders'. Who is been driving me around, getting clients for business, making contacts, a person that everybody criticizes because she is not from "prabhupada's family". Who has opened her house and invited lots of her friends for me to have astrological consultations and make some money? From the 'devotees' point of view, a prostitute and meat eater. Who are the ones who prayed for me in their church meeting? The gays.

What are the devotees doing to me now? Talking bad because I'm single and too friendly for their standards. They see sex everywhere. Their problem, not mine.

It hurts though that devotees are not up front, I'm very honest, and if something bothers me, I say it. I hate misunderstandings. People talks bad, I go to the person and try to clarify things. I thought I had a friend, but that person is avoiding me like a have the plague or something. I prefer thousands times that somebody tell me that I don't like your association for this and that reason, or plainly I don't like you than just do like nothing happened and you don't exist anymore.

Anyhow, I'm learning a lot, experiences don't come easy. Break my heart though that the devotees are so indiferent to another's feelings. Serious doubts about letting my kids growing up in this environment. Don't feel like going back to the family because even though they're pukha karmis, they're really nice. The girls may think that is OK to eat meat, smoke and sex if they're really caring people. The 'devotees' didn't care.

Maybe I said too much, but I had to let it out.

[This message has been edited by atma (edited 07-11-2001).]

Thank you so much to Satyaraja, Jagannatha and Jaya Radhe for their kind words and support. It takes so little to make a person feel good.

We may go to San Francisco Ratha Yatra, JR, will you be there?

Thanks again.

Atma.

Hari bol, Atma, It would be great to meet you at Rathayatra.

If you want, email me at .

ys, Jayaradhe

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 06-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 07-03-2001).]

Originally posted by atma:

Thank you so much to Satyaraja, Jagannatha and Jaya Radhe for their kind words and support. It takes so little to make a person feel good.

We may go to San Francisco Ratha Yatra, JR, will you be there?

Thanks again.

Atma.

<h6>Radhe SHYAM Hari K R S N A </h6>

<center>

I considered the two temples where I lived at as parents to me; One was where I originally joined Iskcon, in Phila., PA and the other was where I took my initiation in San Francisco, Ca.

So much has happened since I first encountered the devotees.

Now 25 years later, I am thinking seriously about rejoining a devotional community.</p>

I am probably going to the San Francisco Rath-yatra and will be keeping my eyes openned for some fresh smiling faces.</p>

<font size=6 color=cyan>I L @ @ K Forward to Seeing You All There :-)</font><hr>

Hare K R S N A ,</center>

<h5><hr align=center>jagannatha das brahmachari</h5>

Originally posted by Maitreya:

July 29th prabhu.Pulling the carts, chanting the Names.What can compare?

What can compare? Well, this year I$kcon Toronto is offering hot-air balloon rides?! No word yet on who is supplying the hot air...

------------------

No offense meant to anyone...

Good point, Gauracandra. I attended my 30 year high school reunion last night and had a great dialogue with a Christian preacher classmate about Paul Tillich’s book on hermenutics and Thomas Aquinas v.s. St. Augustine. Because we had this life long bond, having known each other since childhood, we were able to connect across a wide gulf in our disparate religions leanings.

Satyaraj: I do not know what you mean by ‘hellish discipline’.

Personally, I tend to vacillate between being a total recluse and craving loads of human contact with many different people. I feel there are merits to both and that, depending on the individual and different junctures in his/her life, there are many benefits to be derived from each extreme. One yogi friend of mine in Denver that has an Indian guru used to say back in 1972 that the group rituals are secondary to private sadhana such as meditation. I think he was only partially correct, given the power of group kirton, which we all have experienced directly.

There is one thing that I never quite felt comfortable with and that is how family and friends react to a Roman Catholic cum Vaishnava. Even if it is not outright persecution, the incredulity alone I find difficult to deal with. Sometimes I sense a genuine feeling of betrayal on their part, as though I had sold military secrets to some enemy nation. There was a similar experience when I switched my affiliation from GM/ISKCON to the Hindu community outside of that institution. No doubt these are more a result of an internal conflict that I need to resolve (sort of a type of stage fright, if you will), but certainly the ‘not fitting in’ syndrome is a very real component of all modern societies. Perhaps it is just human nature to want everyone to assimilate to the geographic norms. The tragedy of that is that rich traditions tend to die out as a result. What is refreshing is that one large American corporate client of mine is taking great pains to promote internal diversity in their organization with annual cultural events and even going so far as to allow gay rights activists to display banners for their parades in their atrium concourse (not that there’s anything wrong with that! Posted Image.

[This message has been edited by Ananga (edited 07-01-2001).]

I think that JNdas should send us badges saying "Audarya Fellowship", to recognize each other in the Ratha Yatras or other festivals. Posted Image

I'd been remembering that great saying:

Men are like.....mascara

They run at the first sign of emotion.

After my emotional posting, wasn't so much response from the guys Posted Image

Continuing the saga of mistreatment to women, yesterday I was walking to my job (only 4 blocks away), when I heard my name. A lady that I couldn't recognize was calling me from a car. It happened that 10 years ago she stayed in my place in India for a few days (one of the hundreds that passed through my house, sometimes I though that I was living in Howrah Station). To make it short, she was married, husband completely abused her, and when she left no body helped her. She has nothing to do with the devotees anymore. Sometimes she comes in the neighborhood because she has to come for the children, her ex- husband lives in the community. She was telling me that she wonders why she wasted so many years of her life in this movement. Very sad. Again, can we blame her for feeling that way?

atma,

Being single and no example myself on how to lead even myself to Krishna consciousness I naturally stay some distance from the topic of devotee marriages.It is true though that as a community we need to learn to show support for those that do break up, for what ever reason.For the men and woman and especially the helpless children.

I have gained respect for you, JRdd and many others that found themselves in such dire straits and somehow kept going.

I doubt that I have such strength.

The pressures of just providing materially are heavy enough, what to speak of adding the spiritual reponsibility.

Here is something that may apply a little.

As far as Ñäöhé, the daughter of Särvabhauma Bhatäcärya, was concerned, she was advised to give up her relationship with her husband. Concerning this, Srimad-Bhägavatam (5.5.18) states, na patiç ca sa syän na mocayed yaù samupeta-måtyum: “One cannot be a husband if he cannot liberate his dependents from inevitable death.” If a person is not in Krsna consciousness and is bereft of spiritual power, he cannot protect his wife from the path of repeated birth and death. Consequently such a person cannot be accepted as a husband. A wife should dedicate her life and everything to Krsna for further advancement in Krsna consciousness. If her husband abandons Krsna consciousness and she gives up her connection with him, she follows in the footsteps of the dvija-patnés, the wives of the brähmaëas who were engaged in performing sacrifices. The wife is not to be condemned for cutting off such a relationship.

Madhya 15.264 purport

Just thinking. Someone should get together and write a book of Iskcon women's stories. Bhaktivasya, Jaya Radhe, etc. Find ten women and get each of them to write an account, with the help of a professional writer like Nori Muster or someone.

Jagat

Guest guest

Originally posted by Jagat:

Just thinking. Someone should get together and write a book of Iskcon women's stories. Bhaktivasya, Jaya Radhe, etc. Find ten women and get each of them to write an account, with the help of a professional writer like Nori Muster or someone.

Jagat

Better yet, invite them and their ex-husbands onto the Jerry Springer show for a real slapdown. That way you get both sides of the stories, and the matajis could earn some needed cash.

Guest guest

Thanx Jagat for seeing the invisible facetious tag on my post. I had put my asbestos suit on..... Posted Image