IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
amanpeter

All For One and One For All

Rate this topic

From Jagat (on another thread):

Iskcon and any other Vaishnava organization established in the West has to create viable lay

communities. This can only be done by placing spiritual value on occupational duties. Iskcon

has become a hollow shell in most major North American cities because it totally devalued

people working according to their guna and karma and contributing the results of their labor

to the service of Krishna. Preaching has been exclusively geared to renunciation, even for

those who are not prepared for it.

Whether these things are important or not is another question.

HARIBOL Jagat prabhu! I wholeheartedly agree with the necessity of recognizing and appreciating the individuality and unique service of anyone and everyone helping maintain ISKCON temples. There must be a feeling of equality and recognition of oneness in devotional service (Sri Radha). There was an ugly incident in Toronto where a pujari showed contempt for a pot washer friend of mine who took after him with a kitchen implement, resulting in the police being called and the loss of one very important pot washer who had been quite content to tackle mountains of huge pots caked with burned on food (do harried cooks ever consider this?). It happened during Rathayayatra when the two were alone in the temple (everyone else enjoying at the island picnic) and both were of Indian descent. Not only did caste come into it, but also place of birth. Certainly there must be zero tolerance for such nonsense within Lord Caitanya's Sankirtan Movement. Unfortunately, in my view, diferential treatment of devotees was there right from the start since big book distributors were rewarded in many ways.

Krsna is providing all that is needed. It is up to those in management and positions of authority to act wisely and always honour each and everyone profusely as well as encouraging if not demanding that individual devotees do likewise. Imagine if the gurus continuously repeated that our service to each other was actually the best service to them. Srila Prabhupada emphasized the need for co-operation, true, but he didn't say, like Lord Jesus, "What is done unto the LEAST of these you do unto me." Cliques and castes have no place here and will end up destroying the very essence that keeps us together and strong. As an ex-military officer, I know the importance of morale in the ranks. Every soldier has to feel of immense value to the mission and equal to everyone else, whatever their position or rank. Resentment of officers by enlisted men can be immediately removed by working hand-in-hand alongside each other when necessary. All for one and one for all. In my realization, that one is Srimati Radharani alone. My commission in the Canadian airforce came from the queen and it was never each other that we saluted, but always her. That is how I see the offering of obeisances to each other as vaisnavas. We must try to see HER in all and thus recognize everyone as at least potential vaisnavas. Devotion is present in everyone--we must become expert at dovetailing it smoothly and naturally, both in ourelves and others. Service is our basis and anyone assisting the pure devotee is to beconsidered a devotee by each and every other devotee, regardless.

As one who has been around the movement for 30 odd (in every sense of the word...) years without ever becoming part of the heirarchy or even initiated, much was/is revealed to me, especially when working alongside `guests` who just like to help out. As you indicated, Jagat, not everyone is ready or, for whatever reason, capable of following all regulative principles, etc. etc. Still we must consider them devotees! For myself, I was always happier looking up to full-time devotees and assisting them in whatever way I was permitted. Whether or not I was acting like a devotee was not something I wanted to dwell on due to my prideful tendencies. Identifying me as a devotee, let alone an `advanced` one, always created problems whereas others truly appreciating my help, or even simply my personally caring, was most encouraging. The relationship between Radhika's maidservants and Herself, as well as with each other, is the most intimate possible. Secrets and emotions are shared. Physical services are really only incidental. I honestly believe that the bond between us all is so much deeper than most realize. I came to appreciate these things from Radha, within my heart of hearts. This is HER realm, not Krsna's. The importance of what we are to each other and how we interact with one another in our personal relationships cannot be overestimated. I pray that all of you prabhus will take this in the best possible way, as intended, and consider carefully and deeply not only what was said here, but where it's coming from and why.

------------------

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna

Krsna Krsna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare