IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

The Strength of Madhvaism Part 1

Rate this topic

I thought I'd post a few passages from an interesting book called "The Strength of Madhvaism". It was written by H. Subba Rao and published I believe in 1979.

The next question is, "Is God a real Being? If so how can we know Him?"

By definition God is a perfect Being. The conception of God implies perfection. An imperfect God is a contradiction in terms.

Some scholars argue that these questions are futile; for if God had existed, He would be known by one of the two methods mentioned above. The answer is, that this is a shameless attitude to adopt by one who knows Sri Madhva and his followers. It is 'Koopa mandooka drsti', narrow view to ignore a part of experience and content ourselves with only knowing a small part of sensible experience. Mystical experience is another source of knowledge. Mysticism is the direct apprehension of even super-sensible reality by the power of yogic insight. Yoga is spiritual power of the well disciplined mind sharpened by following the path of Sravana, Manana and Dhyana as inculcated by the Vedas which are the eternal gazetter of the eternal Government of God, handed down to seekers of truth in our "Sadhana Bhoomi" by Mantra Drashtra seers of the infinite past.

[Note: Now I'm jumping to another section with regard to mysticism]

Most mysticism is moonshine. In order to be able to escape from being imposed upon by Tamasa and quasi-mystics of magic power and demon-strength, we must keep in mind these three laws of mystic-experience. (i) Full fledged mystical experience is clear and undeluded visualisation of some Bimba form of God Narayana in the Lotus of the heart and not meer Tamasa Mantra Shakti or even Rajasa or Satwika power of spell, born of lower Sadhanas or practices as sacrifices, mantra-repetition, fasting before deities or saints etc.... (ii) Secondly, the upadesha or remarks of one mystic are capable of verification by other mystics. Mystics are all consistently truthful though the sayings of some of them are ambiguous at times. They are masters of siddis (Anima etc. stated above) in proportion to their ability in Taratamya. They are unequalled in their capacity for renunciation of material riches; and they have power of Anugraha and Sapa (blessing and cursing) and prophecy also. For example, Sri Madhva has prophesied that Sri Vishnu teetha will return to the world of men in a future time to reform the Madhva people of the times and that the Lord's Consort, Durga will manifest Herself in the near future; (iii) Thirdly, they have capacity invariably to impart their mystic realisation and Sastraik knowledge to one or a few of their devotees and lend proof to strengthen the knowledge of validity of the Vedas and of Madhva Sastra in these times.

I will post other portions later.

Gauracandra

##Sri Madhva has prophesied that Sri Vishnu teetha will return to the world of men in a future time to reform the Madhva people of the times and that the Lord's Consort, Durga will manifest Herself in the near future;##

Have the prophesies come true ?? And who is Vishnu teetha by the way ??

Thanks for the Beautiful post.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Jai Shri Krishna

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Om Shri Dhuupa Theerthaya Namaha

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Om Shri Guru Raghavendraya Namaha

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Om Namo Venkatesaya Namaha

Guest guest

The propheies are yet to happen. Please wait.

There is still lotza time for that.