IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

The Transcendental Passing of Srila Gaur Govinda Maharaja

Rate this topic

The following is from the book "The Embankment of Separation" in a section called "A Life of Devotion". There is no particular reason I am posting this today, other than for the pleasure of the Vaisnavas.

On February 9th, 1996, the holy appearance day of Srila Bhaktisiddanta Sarasvati, two senior devotees requested an appointment to see Srila Gaur Govinda Swami. They had never spoken with him before, but they had become eager to hear from him after reading some of his books. As if by providential arrangement, they entered his room at 6.00 p.m. and submissively inquired, "Why did Caitanya Mahaprabhu stay in Jagannatha Puri?" He laughed with delight and began to explain the confidential significance of Mahaprabhu's pastimes. In anser to this question he lovingly described the pain of separation felt by Radha and Krsna when Krsna was away from Vrndavana. He had often narrated this moving pastime as recorded in Chapter Eight of this great work, "The Embankment of Separation". Enchanting all the devotees in his room with the nectarean topics of Krsna, he gradually unfolded the pastime to the point where Radha and Krsna were finally united after Their long separation. He described how Krsna became so ecstatic upon seeing Radharani that He manifested a form with big round eyes, known as Lord Jagannatha. With a choked voice he said, "Then the eyes of Krsna fell upon the eyes of Radharani. Eye-to-Eye union." Overwhelmed with love for Radha and Krsna, he apologized with folded hands, "Please excuse me, I cannot speak". In a barely audible voice he gave his final instruction: "Nama Koro! Nama Koro! (Chant the holy name)" All the devotees began to chant as their spiritual master lay back on his bed, breathing very slowly and deeply. A servant nearby placed a picture of Gopal Jiu [his childhood deity] in his hand. Then, gazing lovingly at the picture of his worshipable deity, Srila Gaur Govinda Swami called out, "Gopal!" and departed for the spiritual sky to be united with his beloved Lord.

Every day before Srimad-Bhagavatam class, Srila Gaur Govinda Swami would sing a song he had learned as a boy. Now his prayer was fulfilled.

paramananda he madhava

padungaluchi makaranda

se-makaranda pana-kari

anande bolo 'hari hari'

harinka name vandha vela

pari karive caka-dola

se-caka-dolanka-payare

mana-mo rahu nirantare

mana mo nirantare rahu

'ha-krsna' boli jiva jau

'ha-krsna' boli jau jiva

mote udhara radha-dhava

mote udhara radha-dhava

mote udhara radha-dhava

"O supremely blissful Madhava! The nectar is coming from Your lotus feet. Drinking that nectar, I blissfully sing 'Hari! Hari!' With the name of Hari I am binding a raft on which Lord Jagannatha will ferry me across this ocean of material existence. My mind always remains at the lotus feet of that Lord Jagannatha who has very large round eyes. In this way, I call out "Ha Krsna!" and give up my life. O husband of Radharani, please deliver me."

The sadhu never speaks theoretically.

If only we could all have such a passing.

Haribol.

Gauracandra