IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Samkhya

hinduism: an ontology of despair?

Rate this topic

Dear cyber-hindus,

It seems that in your view, the world is cyclical in nature. That's why there are three gods, one who creates, one who sustains, and one who destroys. And there is the metaphor of the breathing of Brahman.

The problem is that if all that is in the world is doomed to happen again, then there can be no definitive salvation.

Suppose your soul is saved in this life. In the next cycle, when it will come to the time you should be born, will you leave moksha and come back to samsara? If no, what would happen? Another soul will take your place? But where does this soul come from? Is there an infinite number of souls waiting to take a body? But an infinite number does not make sense. So there must be a finite number. But if there is just a finite number, and if the world is eternal... all souls should be saved by now! Is the soul created by Brahman? But it does not settle the problem, because since the world is eternal, there should be an infinite number of created souls to make up for the eternal duration...

I find this thought very worrying.

I hope you will get me out of the hole...

If no, what would happen? Another soul will take your place? But where does this soul come from? Is there an infinite number of souls waiting to take a body? But an infinite number does not make sense.

Your worries is fine IF there is only this World. Unfortunately, both Vedas and Science had shown that there are other Worlds, and other beings. Even Science go and formulate that there could even be Multiple Universes.

So, Moksha from one world could mean that we could leave this world, and enter a new one. There, we could be given better understanding about God and new path to follow, ultimately leading to higher state of evolution (which is not possible in this World) and much closer to God and the cycle goes on and one till one day, this Universe will dissolve itself and we all gathered before Him.

Frankly speaking, I would love to go to other Worlds and see how it is there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jai Sriman Narayana:

Is there an infinite number of souls waiting to take a body? But an infinite number does not make sense.

Why do you say infinite number of souls does not make sense? If finite then only Narayana knows the real count!. It is said that the cycle of births and yugas will be there until all souls reach Vaikunta after which we dont know what will happen. Please note that this may not be only world or even the only universe. So, souls could go to other worlds, planets, universes before reaching Vaikunta.

Good question though, let me start looking for answers myself.

Guest guest

The Vedas clearly says that there are billions of Universes and within each universe there are thousands of living planets. Theres also the eternal Spiritual Universe which is consists of unlimited vaikunta planets. The Spiritual Universe is Eternal. The material universes will go on the cycle of creation and destruction.

Please understand Sanatana Dharma(Eternal Laws)