IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Can women chant Gayatri Mantra?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have understood that Women must not chant Gayatri Mantra as it is Nithya Karma which means people need to do this without fail everyday and they cant do this for known reasons (period's pre-natal and post-natal periods). In fact, they need not do this too as it would be more cruel to ask them to do it along with other activities. But, I do see some websites (including ISKCON, I guess) having women do this. Please clarify whether what I stated above is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks,

Narayana Dasa

Jai Sriman Narayana

Guest guest

Of course women can chant the Gayatri Mantra. There have been many women who have chanted the Gayatri Mantra that you can buy on CD like that of Anuradha Paudwal.

I stated why in my original question, Anyway. I repeat again,

Nitya Karmas need to be done without fail everyday and Women may not be able to do that due to periods etc (but this cant be an excuse for Nitya Karmas). It is hence advised that Women should not chant. This does not mean they cannot get the benefits, God knows this so he has recommeded other things that women should do and get the same benefit. This was always my understanding but now things seem to have changed.. so was just looking for a convincing answer for this change.

Guest guest

in my experience women do not get the sacred thread, they chant mentally, so there's no problem of purity or impurity in the menstrual period

another explanation is that bona fide spiritual masters, tattva darshinah (devotees who see krsna directly), seeing that in kali yuga women and men have the same mentality, no difference, have decided to give brahminic status even to women..

so that's enough, vedic culture spreads through the spiritual master.. everything is allowed by him, it is right and pure

where's the problem?

Ok, thanks for responding. I agree that Aacharya is the authority for a disciple, so it is ok as long as a bonafide Aacharya says.

Women dont get the sacred thready because of the question of purity... ofcourse this doesnt mean "all men are pure" . It just means that by nature there are some important differences in the way men do things and women do it. Thats why Sastras said some things. I dont expect these to change based on situations but some of our Aacharyas have done so with due responsibility, no doubt.

Still, just to be clear: Am I right in assuming that Sastras have changed with changing times? I guess only the interpretations have been changing with changing times right? and this is what Aacharya's are supposed to be doing for upliftment of manking, right?

Guest guest

Hari OM

Is not Gayatri a woman name? so why do you say woman are not pure enough to chant her name?

earlier days duties were seperated into men and women

men- Japa, agnihotra, homas, etc.,

women- cooking, lighting lamps, rangoli, etc.,

for each of the occasion there were specified mantras.

there is mantra while lighting lamps, making rangoli, cooking and for all occassions.

it is not like women are not entitled for Gayatri Japa or men are not entitled for rangoli or lighting lamps, it is just that every body should do their alloted duties (and mantra while doing their duty is for purifying their mind, body and environment)

Ok, what you are telling is that Sastras actually dont say women should'nt chant Gayatri mantra? but sastras just said that men and women should just do prescribed duties.. as there is really no need to change.

Secondly, are you telling that since Gayatri is a women's name,they can chant?

In my opinion, if Sastra's say something we should adhere to it (unless ofcourse the Aacharya says so).

Anyway, I dont have enough knowledge, so will live by this logic for now.

Guest guest

Hari OM

"Secondly, are you telling that since Gayatri is a women's name,they can chant?"

i also don't have enough knowledge so what i am telling may not be significiant.

but what i think is ---it is important why a woman want to chant

if she is doing her duty perfectly and wants to chant additionally due to love or spiritual attraction then it is fine

but if she is not doing her duty perfectly and wants to chant out of ego or just to show she is "equal" to men then it is sheer stupidity.

and btw this applies to man also (in all activities) i think...

Guest guest

Ok, thanks for responding. I agree that Aacharya is the authority for a disciple, so it is ok as long as a bonafide Aacharya says.

--so do not speak to me of scriptures. Do you know any pure acharya? are you sure of his purity? has he said to your mother, daughter, sister, wife that they cannot get brahminic initiation due to their sex?

that's the only thing to consider...

the acharyas in my line do not discriminate because in kali yuga everyone is of the lowest intelligence, mleccha, yavana... so there's no possibile discrimination between fit and unfit to get brahminic status. So someone has to be brahmin to worship deities, and brahmins are made between the most devotee disciples.. men and women..

but if your guru maharaja, if you recognise him as completely pure, has a different opinion for his transcendental purposes, there's no problem... stick to his instruction and be happy