IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Polytheism-Good or Bad?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hari OM:

This is regarding the concept of polytheism, one of the major issue where Hindus become defensive.

Polytheism simply means "many Gods" and by this defintion, Hinduism is defintely a Polytheistic religion, and Hindus try to defend this by statements like:

1) It is the same God but with different forms

2) The earlier Glorious Hinduism wasn't polytheistic (meaning todays concept is a corrupted one)

etc.,

But before we defend or criticize let us try to understand the polytheism.

There are two aspects of Polytheism in Hinduism- Types of Gods and Number of Gods.

Types of Gods:- The Hindu Gods can be classified into five types

Type-I: Feriocius Gods- Like Muni, Kali, Bhairav, Karuppu... these gods are generally depicted sitting on a beast with a weapon and blood dropping from every where with partially mulitated body parts strewn around (this has become so much offensive that it is rare to find now a days)

Type-II: Frighetning Gods- Durga, Chandi,Rudra... these are gods are generally depcited with multiple weapons and a frowning face, sitting on a beast, but not much of blood bath depicted.

Type-III: Calm Gods - Most of the Hindu Gods, Shiva, Rama, Subramanya, Ganesha.. they have one or two weapons, in a much relaxed mood and with a smiling face.

Type-IV: Delightful Gods- Nataraj, Krishna, Dancing Ganapathy, Laxmi, Saraswathy.... they have generally no weapons but with music instruments, laughing, dancing, singing and blessing.

Type-V: Advanced Gods- Formless, Nameless and Attributless Gods found only in Yoga and Vedanata where the Brahman concept is introduced.

So why there are different types of Gods? simply because there are different types of men as stated in Vedas, "Loke Binna Ruchi"

We can classify the general humanity into five types depending on their level of consicuness.

Level-I: Base instincts- People are controlled only by their senses- interested in meat, alchol, sex and fully sensual pleasures, can do anything to satisfy their sensual pleasures, not worried about the disaster they bring upon others or themseleves.

Level-II: Controlled instincts- The senses are slightly controlled by mind, even though they are still behind sensual pleasures, they try not to hurt others for fulfilling their sensual pleasures.

Level-III: Egoistic: Here the senses are mostly controlled and they don't hurt others or animals for their sensual pleasures, but may hurt some body (mainly their feelings) to satisfy their ego

Level-IV: Intelligent: Here all senses, mind and emotions are under control, they have cravings for advanced knowledge, happiness

Level-V: Wise: Here the cravings for every thing disappears and they are into spiritual enquiry, like who am I and who is God

And now we can see that the types of God are made according to the types of people, so Level-I persons strong sensual pull is balanced by the equally strong fearful God. While there is no needed of a fearful God for Level-V.

And note that Hinduism does not degrade or demean Level-I persons, it just acknowledges it as their nature. Also it is not static, i.e., a Level-I person will not be always be Level-I but will gradually move up in the evolution scale and reach Level-V, even though he may take many Births to attain it, Hinduism does not want him to hurry but rather proceed on his own pace.

The Monotheisc religions try to solve this by basically dividing humanity into Good and Bad. And the same single God acts both Good (with grace) or Bad (with anger) towards Good and Bad people respectively.

So in Hinduism we find different persons (or entities) having different characterisitc and appeal to different levels of people, while in other religion we find the same person (or entity) having different characteristic at the same point of time.

Hence we can conclude that Monotheism is not inherently an advanced concept than Polytheism or vice-versa, they are just different types of concepts and no need for Hindus to be defensive.

----------

Hence we can conclude that Monotheism is not inherently an advanced concept than Polytheism or vice-versa, they are just different types of concepts and no need for Hindus to be defensive.

----------

The last time I checked, we Hindus called Sanatana Dharma a purely Monotheistic religion. "Ekam Sath ViprAh BahudhA Vadanti".

Just because we believe God manifests Himself in many forms does not make us a polytheistic belief system.

Guest guest

How does that mean that Hinduism is polytheistic? Haven't you seen the references in Vedas, Upanishads, etc that state God is one? From your post it looks like you either don't understand the concept of God in Hinduism or you're confused by it. I'm not saying whether or not polytheism is good or bad, I think it's limited, but I will say that Hinduism is not Polytheistic.

Hinduism is Monotheistic, though it differs from other monotheistic religions as it does not limit God to one form, one name, etc as the Abramamic faiths do. Hinduism has a far more broader concept of God than the Abrahamic faiths and is a pluralistic religion, which recoginese that there are many paths to God, rather than only one path to God and all the others are doomed to eternal Hell as the Abrahamic faiths state.

Hinduism says God can manifest in many forms and if you worship a manifestation you are still worshipping God. It is still monotheism.

Guest guest

hinduism is monotheist

impersonalists think that god is one, formless and generates many gods for human worship

personalists think that god is one, with infinite qualities, and that has many assistants.. these are the devatas

other religions haven't "officially" devatas, but they have saints, angels, mother mary and so on who are worshipped for the same reasons of devatas.... money, health, luck and so on...

so religion procedures are the same all over the world (because sanatana dharma is the eternal religion of the world even if in kali yuga there's fragmentation and conflicts)

The supreme Lord is essentially DIRECTLY worshipped, in all religions, almost only by the ones who desire only devotion.. nothing else..

Hare Krishna

The following quote is from Caitanya Caritamrta Madhya lila 20.173 Purport, By A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

In the Vedas it is stated that the one becomes many (eko bahu syam). The Supreme Personality of Godhead expands Himself in various forms—visnu-tattva, jiva-tattva and sakti-tattva.

According to the Vedic literatures, there are different regulative principles for the worship of each of these forms. If one takes advantage of the Vedic literatures and purifies himself by following the rules and regulations, ultimately he worships the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna. Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita (4.11): mama svartmanuvartante manusyah partha sarvasah. Worship of the demigods is in a sense worship of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but such worship is said to be avidhi-purvakam, improper. Actually demigod worship is meant for unintelligent men. One who is intelligent considers the words of the Supreme Personality of Godhead: sarva dharman parityajya mam ekam sararam vraja [bg. 18.66]. One who worships demigods worships the Supreme Lord indirectly, but according to the revealed scriptures, there is no need to worship Him indirectly. One can worship Him directly.

Please chant Hare Krishna and be happy

Nitai

Why is it that Polytheism considered bad?

I mean, in Hindusm, they do poojas to satify the "Punja-boodam" (5 Elements), and by doing so, they satify the higher being into being happy with their worships.

In many ways, worshipping the 5 Elements made Hindus one of the most Environmental Conscious people in the World. That is one positive outcome.

Also, by different people worshipping different Elements but respecting one another, you have sort of unity among different races. Another positive outcome.

So why is it that many Hindus are busy trying to change to Monotheism - stating their god is better and their worship is the best?

I can think of several reasons, such as :

1. Christianity and Islam's influence.

2. Their own Ego.

Guest guest

Why is it that Polytheism considered bad?

because god is one.. not many

worshipping the five elements, personified or impersonally, without knowing that they come from the lord, and that the worship goes actually to him, could be environmental but it is useless to reach the spiritual realm and liberation

read something

because god is one.. not many

worshipping the five elements, personified or impersonally, without knowing that they come from the lord, and that the worship goes actually to him, could be environmental but it is useless to reach the spiritual realm and liberation

Here, what I see is several contradictions and more influence from Abrahamic Religions (Christianity and Islam).

1. Without knowing that they came from the Lord? By stating such, you are saying there is OTHER "God" or maybe some other reasons (such as self-creation like what Atheists claims) for this elements to come into play.

By rejecting the Elements, you are saying that some other force, other than God could be responsible for them. This is contradicts against Hindusm which clearly states God (should it be Lord Vishnu or Lord of the Elements Himself - Lord Shiva) are in some way or other oversees their activities for balance of all worlds.

2. By rejecting the worship of Elements, thinking such practise will not bring you closer to Liberation, what you are doing is actually Selfish Devotion, which again, against Hindusm.

God, through Sri Krishna had given Man the Gita and instructed Man to conduct his duties according to what is written in the Gita.

The Elements themselves are doing the same thing in their own respective ways - such as Yama Dharma, Indra, Suyra Bhagavan etc.

Yet, you, who supposed to respect the Elements who directly gives you beneficts do not do so because you (selfishly) wants God's liberation upon your circle of Rebirths.

Which is required? Selfish or Selfishless Devotions?

Guest guest

1. Without knowing that they came from the Lord? By stating such, you are saying there is OTHER "God" or maybe some other reasons

••of course.... there is "other god" different and simultaneously on with the creation as you and me are separated and one as human beings, living entities and so on.

God is everything..... inside everything there's omnipervadence and individualism, oneness and variety

This is contradicts against Hindusm which clearly states God (should it be Lord Vishnu or Lord of the Elements Himself ..

••yes LORD of the ELEMENTS.. (actually the sustainer of the universe..) so sri vishnu is simultaneously the elements and the lord of them.. on with them and the supreme over them

By rejecting the worship of Elements, thinking such practise will not bring you closer to Liberation

••different....... the practice does not bring to the liberation if we do not know who is the lord of elements like you have said before. I am already elements, they're in my body, there's no liberation in the contact with material elements.. liberation is given by the master of all elements

God, through Sri Krishna had given Man the Gita and instructed Man to conduct his duties according to what is written in the Gita.

••no.... sri krsna who is god has said "sarva dharma.." leave all duties and surrender to me.. It is clear and simple

Yet, you, who supposed to respect the Elements who directly gives you beneficts do not do so

••when you worship the owner of the factory (god) you authomatically worship the products of the factory (the elements)

Which is required? Selfish or Selfishless Devotions?

•••selfishless... whe have to worship the lord not our self

••of course.... there is "other god" different and simultaneously on with the creation as you and me are separated and one as human beings, living entities and so on.

Who is this "Other God" which is equals to God? I don't see it or understand such being could exist.

•yes LORD of the ELEMENTS.. (actually the sustainer of the universe..) so sri vishnu is simultaneously the elements and the lord of them.. on with them and the supreme over them

If you believe in that, then you shouldn't have problem giving the Elements their respect and prayers they need, do you? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It's like saying the Earth is Alive and can sustain ourselves and itself as well. That is true to the Earth and to God who doesn't need anything from us.

YET, if you use the same excuse not to water the flowers, take care your crops, handle your pollutions etc very well (thinking the Earth can take care of them), then you are doing the opposite of what you attended.

By stating you do not wish to give the Elements what they need (in form of prayers etc), you actually stating you are above them and will only deal with God. This is false assumption based on Islamic point of view. That is why Islamic nations have more natural disasters, disease and strife.

••no.... sri krsna who is god has said "sarva dharma.." leave all duties and surrender to me.. It is clear and simple

No, He said - "Do your duty and surrend the action and fruits of your action to Me", I don't remember Him saying "Leave all duties".

And, to Humans, respecting the Nature and its Elements IS part of Dharma and their duties as well.

•••selfishless... whe have to worship the lord not our self

So why are you behaving like a Muslim? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

A muslim worship his god (assuming Islam has a God) NOT because he has faith in God, but because Muhammad ORDERED them to pray 5 times a day. So, if they do not pray, other Muslims will label them as unfaithful.

Such actions are not selfishless devotion, it is selfish devotion toward Muhammad's orders and their own fears of been presecuted.

Guest guest

YOUR own Gita tells the world that other gods are for the selfish, and that belief in 'other gods' is a false belief........sounds a bit like elephant heads and the like are creations of mens greedy, earthly possession loving lifestyle. There is only one GOd Krsna Allah Yaweh GOD smae being! ALL ELSE IS CREATED TO DECIEVE AND DIVIDE......... Chapter seven of the Gita will clear up your foolish notions of phoney deities. if you wanna belive in animal gods so be it, but don't belittle LORD GOD/KRSNA/ ALLAH because hindus were having animal sex (as seen on temple statues) before true guidance of the oneness of God! KRSNA knows you are ignorant................and now so do the rest of us.

YOUR own Gita tells the world that other gods are for the selfish, and that belief in 'other gods' is a false belief........sounds a bit like elephant heads and the like are creations of mens greedy, earthly possession loving lifestyle.

I have not only read the Gita but also translate it to be paste online (with respect to Lord Vishnu, Shiva and ALL the other demi gods).

I have NOT come across ANY phases, statements or even a hint of ANY other "God" such as what you described. Such foolish notion exists ONLY in Abrahamic Religion - Islam and Christianity.

Even in Jewish Traditions, Fear and Prosecution of Satan didn't begin till Christianity come and added Jewish Tradition into its corrupted book, only to be made true by Muslims who believe it blindly.

There is only one GOd Krsna Allah Yaweh GOD smae being!

Yahweh is NOT Allah or vice versa. Jews do not accept Arabic god because there is NO indications that God has made ANY pacts with Arabs.

Also, Muslims do not follow Jewish Traditions where prophets are just messangers who deliver message and fade into the backdrop, leaving God in the highlight. In Islam, Muslims are worshipping Muhammad indirectly by following his examples like a blind pig. This is NOT Jewish tradition nor do Jews accept such nonsense.