IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Possible Kurma Avatar??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

im just putting this out there as a possibility. i personally believe it to be highyl possible if not absolutely true.

could the kurma avatar have been a eathquake of some sort following a volcanic eruption thousands of years ago? An earthquake perhaps under water or near the water could theoretically be related to an erupting volcano, especially if the eruption is massive. Indonesia is known to have massive volcanic eruptions every now and then. And there are others in that area as well.

Actually, the second most plausible reason why the dinosaurs died out is because of a massive volcanic eruption in india. This theory is not as widely known as the meteour theory though. But it has the most scientists behind it that all the others/

But back to the point, an eruption could be likely. a far away euption would only show phsyical signs to Indians through smoke coming out of a mountain. This is what is said to have occurred in the story. I believe thru Mt. Mandaru.

this might cause a sort of famine or ash covering or soemthing of that sort that made survival hard causing the good guys (Devas) to work together with the bad guys (asuras) which the people say are the cause of god (Vishnu).

A major quake could make the land sink which might be the reason people said that the Lord (Kurma) stopped the land from sinking all the way. The nourishment that they got from possibly a singular food source or water source could be the amrita talked about.

In reality (i know this may not be what ppl wanna hear) the gods (Mohini) helping the good guys get more of the necatar from the bad guys was probably a jusitification of certain people getting more from that food source than others during a time when food was a neccessity.

-------------------------

I know there are some holes in my theory. But i think it can be rationally and logically. I hope i dont offend anyone's beliefs. But please, add to my theory appropraitely where my holes are and others can criticize my theory using logic and evidence please.

Your theory may be partly true, or complete untrue....but, it is nice that you tried to come up with something rather than like most of them who just read and blindly follow someone elses' opinion/interpretation, which is more suited to that persons' likes/dislikes.

However, you mentioned "the gods (Mohini) helping the good guys get more of the necatar from the bad guys was probably a jusitification of certain people getting more from that food source than others during a time when food was a neccessity"....is not what is exactly.......actually it was decided that whatever comes up would be divided equally amongst the devas (good guys) and the asuras (bad guys). However, when the nectar came up, the asuras (bad guys) grabbed and ran away with it, to become immortal, seeing this the helpless devas sought the intervention of Vishnu, who transformed into Mohini and got back the nectar from the asuras.....

Guest guest

i do believe this kind of interpretation of hisotry/religion is neccessary. it does no good to blindly believe in supernatural and magical things that occur and say it occurred then but those sort of things dont occur anymore. the same things that occur now occured then. the only difference is the perspective which people of today take to describe those events as opposed to the perspective taken by people of yesteryear to describe events that happened to them in their lifetimes. most of the puranas and "mythological" stories are poetic version of true to life history that occurred. but because of the poetic-ness of it, general people using common language dont believe in its factuality and most of these poetic histories get turned into what we term 'myths'

to me, i see the nectar not as some powerful potion, but probably just water. perhaps good water. as opposed to contaminated regular water. therefore, safe drinking water would be different from regular water and could be seen as some sort of nectar, or special water. if it was water, then i could see how a certain group (bad ppl/asuras) would proclaim safe water for themselves while another group (good people/devas) would try to get it for all.

of maybe the deva/asura difference was jsut a matter of north indian vs south indian or someother sectarian difference.

please comment

Poetic descriptions often involves the poet's own way of imagination, adding more colour, even a bit of exaggeration etc., The same is true of the artistic description of that era which is infact the artists' idea/perception of the person/people during that age, their occupation, their way of living, again which is influenced by his own imagination, the information he has etc.,.....Thus, this had lead to a larger-than-life picture of that era and its people, which seems quite unreal to the more recent and present population who terms it as 'Mythology'.

As to devas being from north and asuras from south, is a concept which has been around from quite sometime. This has arised because people from north are fair skinned and down south they are dark skinned, and since devas are depicted as fair skinned and asuras as dark skinned it lent credence to this theory. However, it is nothing but again an artists' impression which reflected in his art-work depicting devas as fair, because they were seen in good spirits and asuras in black/dark form because they were seen in bad spirts. The light/fair colours stands for purity and it reflects light, while dark colour form the shades of evil deeds and it absorbs light.

If one takes the example of Prahlad, the son of King Hiranyakashyapa - the King of Asuras (who was slain by Vishnu in the form of Narasimha), Prahlad is always depicted as fair skinned, inspite of being an asura, this is because he was always devoted to Vishnu and indulged in wise practices of prayers and good deeds.

Krishna is generally known to all as being dark-skinned, having the colour of dark evening sky. However he is mostly depicted in the art form as fair, because even though he was dark, his thoughts and actions were pure in nature and he reflected radiance.

It also gives a message that no matter what colour skin you have, your action and thoughts are more important.

Guest guest

to be honest, i think it gives the opposite message...To always depict a certain charachter, from any religion or culture, as haveing a certain quality or charachteristic and always showing that person to have that charachteristic forms a natural association between that person and the charachteristic he has. This is the association that would be formed with Krishna and light skin if he is alwyas depicted that way.

Once this association has been made, there is a generally tendency for the mind to associate good with that quality (light skin). In a sense, to teach that Krishna is depicted light skinned will only give a subconsious message of good and light skinned

If Krishna was dark skinned, he should always be depcited as dark skinned, unless in situations where the artists uses a color that would be unambiguously not a human pigment and does so to display a specific message. One should always be shown as he or she truly is or was.

This will really get the message accross that Krishna and other great people can be dark skinned just as Rama was a fair skinned great person. By a collective display of diversity among good and great people, this will truly get the message of good actions from different colored people.

Well, thats' the difference in taking the message in the right sense or viewing it with a negative perspective.

In earlier times, even though the general population was quite less, people tend to have the basic knowledge of differentiation of art and real life........When krishna is depicted as fair, it is not his skin colour which is in the mind of the artist, but his deeds, which shines bright and brightness being associated with light colours in art, so he is depicted as fair-skinned.........just like a diamond, which when polished shines bright and sheds its original form of being a mere black-stone.

Nobody can set any standard of depicting a person in art/poetic form by saying you should only write or draw as you see in real..... it is like arresting his freedom of expression and thought. A poet or an artist lives in their own world or imagination and fantasy, and expresses their feelings in the form and nature as they perceive it. Art in any form is a gift. Any lover of art, with good knowledge, will appreciate the work, and knows the simple difference between art and reality.

People who compare light colour skin to superiority, just like Hitler and the Whites who considered dark-skinned people as inferior race, has no knowledge of art and artistic meaning. They are only self-centred, egoistic, power hungry creatures who manipulate the ignorant and simple minded people for their own benefit.

Guest guest

unfortunately thats why some ppl today associate dark skinned with bad and light skinned with good. This association wasnt made back in the day in India because there was a natural mix of oclors from the south to the north. but as foreign (specifically euro) invaders came, they set it into the mind that white is good and dark is bad

buit anyway, were getting off the topic. do u think this is a good possibiliy of what the kurma avatar represents? if so, then this is the approach that mainstream hinduism and hindus in general should take and teach. In truth, Brahman is Satyam. If we cant accept the truth as it raelly is or was, how can we truly accept brahman?

Yeah, i do think it is a good possibility and yes basically people should approach in a more logical way to explain things. For that to happen people should come up with their doubts and question things which they could not understand in simple terms.

Just like Arjuna had doubts and questioned Lord Krishna....so also we should.....if Arjuna hadn't posed his queries the 'Bhagvad Gita' and its teachings would be non-existent today.

Krishna is generally known to all as being dark-skinned, having the colour of dark evening sky. However he is mostly depicted in the art form as fair, because even though he was dark, his thoughts and actions were pure in nature and he reflected radiance.

---------

What's the color of Indra & shiva?

unfortunately thats why some ppl today associate dark skinned with bad and light skinned with good. This association wasnt made back in the day in India because there was a natural mix of oclors from the south to the north. but as foreign (specifically euro) invaders came, they set it into the mind that white is good and dark is bad

---------

What have been going on in India is that Hinduism divides into countless sects & 4 varnas divide into countless sub-varnas. Their results are the decline of Hinduism & the fading away of varna system.

Though Hindus call aloud "unite", it's dif. bcos they can't eliminate the diverge in doctrine with lost wisdom. Varna system seems hopeless, too, for it has been confused with discrim. & racism by even sages. The processe are as follows:

loss of wisdom -> division -> confusion -> decline

Iskcon simple is one of its participants.

And I was told by my guidest Enoch and Metatron, that I was not to eat the food of the false powers of the earth, nor encourage my seed to marry with the fallen spiritual races of the earth, nor join in false worship of those who serve the fallen mind energies of the earth.

---------------------

12:47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

12:48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

12:49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

---------------------

15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

---------------------

16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Guest guest

indra and shiva, in my eyes, have no color. they are not people like krishna and rama. artists like to depict them as having certain colors when they draw pictures, and some simple minded people like ot think that they have color. but shiva and indra are forces or energies, they have as much color as oxygen.

as for the varna system, it is so decrepit and continues to get worse while it is said its getting better. its not. castes and sects havent stopped. its just reversed. those being oppressed are now the oprressors. but they dont see what can happen

oppression begets oprression. one groups gets oppressed for a while, then turns around and oprresses their oppressors. aftera while of that, those being oppressed will again turn around and oppress their oppressors. this is a deadly cycle that must be broken.

the varna system is not meant to socially divide. its a system meant to rate one's own characther. that gives one heirarchy in society spiritually, in order for one to know how good or bad they are living their life.

Dear Ratheesh,

You are right about Lord Krishna. He is called Neela Megha Shyama, with the color of His skin resembling dark cloud. But you are not right about Siva's skin color. In Rudram, he is depicted as having the hue of an early morning sun.

But you are I disagree on our interpretation of scriptures regarding the caste system so I won't go its details here. Very briefly, the caste system is sanctioned in the scriptures. Dropping the caste system is akin to dropping Sanatana Dharma itself. So no Hindu is prepared to do that (I hope!) The Varnashrama Dharma has resulted in some problems, yes, but it worked for us until the advent of Muslims and Europeans.

Guest guest

when i say the caste system is not good, i say it in the way one says that killing someone with a knife is bad therefore the knife is bad. its only bad in terms of harming someone with it. a knife on its own is not bad

the system as mentioned in the scriptures is not bad. it is not meant to rank as much as it is for one to rank ONESELF. for one to know, through meditation or contemplation, where one ranks in a scale of virtuousity; how virtuous one is based on merits of one's charachter and personality (these are the gunas). That system as said by Krishna is totally free of adharmic qualities and should be practiced.

However, this is not what goes on in 99 % of India today. Perhaps there are one or two places that follow the original caste system, but everywhere else, it is a matter of birthright. This is wrong. One does not become a brahmin just because one's father is brahmin. Same holds for any caste, sub-caste, outcaste, etc. Any system that propounds this and works of this inheritance theory should be dropped. Its useless and only serves to subjugate the lower classes and seperate society into social stratifications. Its a very bad thing

a culture should not hold onto this broken system just because it is old and has been done for a long time. Either fix it or drop it. A chariot from Roman times can be a great vehicle and might bring one a lot of joy to ride around it instead of a car, but if the chariot is broken its uselss. Either fix it or dont use it.

Dear Ratheesh,

As you say, there are some problems with the caste system. It is somewhat a broken system. But the problem is within ourselves.

Here are my points:

(a) It is a misconception that the Brahmins have usurped the power from all other groups. Most Brahmins just want to do Svadhyaya and Pravachana (refer to Taittareeya Upanishad). All they are interested is in intellectual pursuits related to Ishvara and Brahman. It is possible that the Brahmins influenced the thinking in the older times because they were the bookkeepers and most of the brain of the society regarding God. That is probably their only crime.

(b) In the modern times, Brahmins don't tread the path of Brahma. Most people can't even remember any of the Shlokas of Sandhyavandanam. Most people are so busy surviving that the caste system is now passe.

© The only place where it is still thriving is in the country side where you will find severe and strong divisions along the caste lines. A non-Brahmin, these days, possibly cannot get the job of a priest (although that too is changing) but he/she can get practically any other job.

If you think the system is broken, well, start a revolution. It will take another 5000 years to do it, but perhaps you can drop the caste system in that timeframe and the society might be that much better.

Just don't forget to indulge in beautiful experiences of chanting God's names while you work towards your goal!

Guest guest

there are no brahmins born of birth. there are many that run around saying that they are. but they are not. a brahmin is any person who displays sattvic qualities. There are many that do, and many so called brahmins that dont. Those that dont know the scriptures, dont preach goodness and just out to get money, they ARE NOT brahmins.

i dont believe there should be a publicly discussed system of seperating people. when the gita discusses the varna system, it is based on qualities of one's personality. these things are not always available in the public domain. i cannot meet a person and then judge their caste based on my first encounter.

only those people that know you can truly know your caste, for they are the ones who really know your charachteristics.

Guest guest

indra and shiva, in my eyes, have no color. they are not people like krishna and rama.

-----------

Don't put gods, gods' avataras, & mundane people in same rank, which is the purpose of my q..

the varna system is not meant to socially divide. its a system meant to rate one's own characther. that gives one heirarchy in society spiritually, in order for one to know how good or bad they are living their life.

-----------

A society needs hierarchies. The significance of varna is that it hooks up a person's spiritual level to a suitable class. While in the societies of other systems, a person's social status may depends on money, occupation, or even fate.

but everywhere else, it is a matter of birthright. This is wrong. One does not become a brahmin just because one's father is brahmin.

-----------

Varna's definition is clear. I don't want to hear any blurred or distorted def.. If sone. become a brahmin for his birth, he has the right to enjoy what he earned in the past lives whether he's good or not at least now. If you have no enough insight, speak with caution. I tell you a chinese saying: hearts are separated by bellies. In my view, God treated 2 actresses properly at least.

The superstructure waits to build but it needs a solid foundation. This system is the consequence of hooking up spirituality & materiality.

Sad ... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The thing I do not like much about Indians nowadays is that they do not have 1/10 the wisdom or the knowledge their forefather had in the past.

That is why, when someone asked Hindus about something like Kurma Avatar, instead of looking into history of the Planet itself, they choke themselves with various, self-made and illogical explainations such as above. Good try though.

Guest guest

how have I showed an illogical explanation? I think this explanation makes more sense logically than any other explanation out there...tell me one that makes more sense....what do U think it is? some made up story for peoeple to learn from? Stories dont last unless they have some truth behind them. All myths have some truthfull aspect

Guest guest

_______

society needs hierarchies. The significance of varna is that it hooks up a person's spiritual level to a suitable class. While in the societies of other systems, a person's social status may depends on money, occupation, or even

fate.

____

Just because societies have certain heirarchies, that doesnt mean its a great thing that needs to be duplicated. Heirarchies seperate people and allow those higher to indulge in stroking their own ego by placing themselves higher. A truly genuine person in search of spiritual truth has no need for heirarchies and seperation. One does not NEED to be hooked up to a spiritual class. Its a secondary desire done by those wishing to place themselves within a socially recognized category and obtain the social support of those that are of the same class, directly or indirectly

______

Varna's definition is clear. I don't want to hear any blurred or distorted def.. If sone. become a brahmin for his birth, he has the right to enjoy what he earned in the past lives whether he's good or not at least now. If you have no enough insight, speak with caution. I tell you a chinese saying: hearts are separated by bellies. In my view, God treated 2 actresses properly at least.

_____

Just beacuse someone was born of a better social situation does not mean that they should then take that as a reason to splurge in the enjoyment of that status. By looking down upon those that arent born brahmin is an incompassionate, indifferent way to psychologically placing yourself higher that others, possibly because of one's own insecurities about one's own disposition.

Secondly, just because one is born a brahmin doesnt mean he is neccessarily in a great position. Look at society today, there is alot of animosity for brahmins from those that arent, and that isnt neccessarily because they are not brahmin. Perhaps it is because the brahmins have slowly over time brought the animosity upon themselves by the actions of successive generations. As it is said, in the Kali yuga, those that are brahmin will be looked upon as Sudra. Those born brahmin today are looked down upon by many (im not saying most or all) but many people because of the strict caste rules which they followed.

Thirdly, this debate is fruitless because one CANNOT be born a brahmin. One becomes a brahmin because of the goodness of one's heart and soul. That goodness takes time and experience. A baby has no experience to make it good or bad, so one cannot say it is brahmin without knowing these things. Just because society has degraded to the fact that PEOPLE label others as brahmin, vaishya, sudra, etc., doesnt mean that they are. Get a grip on yourself and your understanding of the truth. Varna is based on charachter NOT on birth and ancestors.

1st of all, Kurma Avatar is a Turtle, NOT the Boar Avatar which lifted the Earth up from the waters.

In Kurma Avatar, Vishnu KEPT a MOUNTAIN afloat while Dewas and Asuras churn the Sea for Amaritam. So basically, Kurma Avatar's hard shell is the grinding stone and Mahameru mountain (if not mistaken) is the grinder in this story.

Your explaination that islands sanks because of valcones and Kurma Avatar kept it afloat (probably to save people on top) doesn't make any sense.

Furthermore, have you bothered to look at the 8 Avatars from Charles Darwin's point of View?

In till 1850s, there is NO other theory which (partically at least) successfully explain about Evolution of Life. Basically, Darwin explains that Life began at the Sea, and later as land emerged, Life evolved and produced legs and crawl out of the sea and into the land. As time progress, so did Evolution and from there, diversity of life as we know it exists now and then. Humans are just one of that diversity.

Now, if you look properly at the sequence of the 8 Avatars, WHICH explaination between us makes sense more? :cak

One of the reasons why Hindusm declines (despite of having massive civilizations less than 1,300 years ago) is because of attitude of Hindus themselves.

IF Hindus themselves looked at examples in Puranas as something illogical and mythical only, which has NO place to be explained by means of modern methods and science of so-called civilized people, THEN who is going to be Hindus?

Muslims for example hold onto their beliefs, no matter how illogical it maybe. Christians STILL believe the world is created in 6 days till now, and up to 200 years ago, any other explaination means death in a horrible way.

But to a Hindu, Purana = Myths. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

Heirarchies seperate people and allow those higher to indulge in stroking their own ego by placing themselves higher.

-------------

Absolutely right. Let the good be good & let the bad be bad. But don't forget that this freedom is not for free but test & karman.

A truly genuine person in search of spiritual truth has no need for heirarchies and seperation. One does not NEED to be hooked up to a spiritual class.

-------------

Nonsense. If you are a school-student, you will be put into a class of a grade.

As it is said, in the Kali yuga, those that are brahmin will be looked upon as Sudra.

-------------

Unqualified brahmins may no long be brahmins in next lives.

One becomes a brahmin because of the goodness of one's heart and soul. That goodness takes time and experience. A baby has no experience to make it good or bad, so one cannot say it is brahmin without knowing these things. Just because society has degraded to the fact that PEOPLE label others as brahmin, vaishya, sudra, etc., doesnt mean that they are.

-------------

Half right. A baby is not a baby but a soul incar.ed into this world. Varnas are the labels indicating how they were.

possibly because of one's own insecurities about one's own disposition.

-------------

This word is smart. I have said "The superstructure waits to build but it needs a solid foundation". A peaceful circumstances is better than a unstable one by any means for all. You will regret if the society gets into hatred & hostility.

Guest guest

I have never once said the earth was lifted up from the waters. I was talking about the turtle. I didnt say that volcanos sank land and the turtle left it afloat. If i have heard right, it is said in the story that the land sank and vishnu took form as a turtle to keep it afloat.

I have always looked at the forms that the vishnu has taken as a form of evolution theory, but all the stories are not interlocked as much as each is important in its own right. Therefore to look at it as just a theory of evolution, which would mean that all the stories are interlocked, would mean that the only logic behind the story (the reason for it = to state an ancient theory of evolution) is as an interlocked one, where all the stories must be looked at together to understand the sum significance.

That would mean that the stories individually have no pertinence. But they do. I believe it states both. The stories themselves have some meaning. There is no myth that has no aspects of truth in it. All have some truth to it. A set of successive generations would not remember a story that didnt have any aspect of truthful experience in it.

______

One of the reasons why Hindusm declines (despite of having massive civilizations less than 1,300 years ago) is because of attitude of Hindus themselves.

_________

This reason is connected to the 1300 years that India spent under foreign oppression when the advanced knowledge that the Indians had were oppressed because of religious differences. There are many Hindus today that follow the gods and pray but few that have retained the expansive knowledge of what the religion holds. Many years of not allowing us to do it made us do it quietly, made many people who did not fuly understand it. It takes time to rebound back to the level we were once on. Time and truth will tell.

___

Muslims for example hold onto their beliefs, no matter how illogical it maybe. Christians STILL believe the world is created in 6 days till now, and up to 200 years ago, any other explaination means death in a horrible way

_______

Religion meaning should never go against science. They are two heads of the same coin. If you know of empirical interpretations, there are two kinds - intellectualist and functionalist. The latter says exactly what it does and the former says why it does. Religion is the former and Science is the latter way of looking at the same existance. Holding onto beliefs that may not apply socially in todays world is different from holding onto scientific belief that doesnt appply.

Social belief changes with each generation and if one of those choses an un-righetousness path that prevails during their time, one should hold onto righetous beliefs.

Indeed and doubtless(some)Christians (those that are actually practising one's that is) still believe that creation took place in 6 days and on the 7th day the Lord rested.

If one takes that in the context of a vedic day of Brahma, then it seems perfectly rational / logical that it could have been so. I suspect however, that most Christians would probably associate it with a "material / human" day.

The actual definition and indeed probably the word (day) itself, may well have been corrupted (either accidently or by design) during translations of Biblical texts from Aramaic to Greek to Latin and later to English and other languages - not to mention various Kings & Popes etc. who wanted to change or omit / add things for their own gratification!

Q8D

"up to 200 years ago, any other explaination means death in a horrible way"

Is this a general or specific statement?? On what basis / authority is it made. Does it apply to the whole of Christendom??

Guest guest

<<<In till 1850s, there is NO other theory which (partically at least) successfully explain about Evolution of Life. Basically, Darwin explains that Life began at the Sea, and later as land emerged, Life evolved and produced legs and crawl out of the sea and into the land. As time progress, so did Evolution and from there, diversity of life as we know it exists now and then. Humans are just one of that diversity>>>

Dude who told u that there was no theory till 1850s explaining the evolution ? is it ur own explanation or u were there at that time `???? don give ur own things down here, control ur tongue and mind!!!!

I admit that most of the Hindus (this was the bloody name given by the british and muslims), which exists in none of our scriptures, don know much about the sanatana dharma, but that does not mean all the people who are in india are of same kind, dude there are more than a billion live in India and most of those who know the religion and Sri Visnu dont come to computer to write about reliogion (infact they don find any sense in spreading the religion as normally christains and muslims do)

and about the darwin, i can sy boldly he was a rascal and he cheated the world, he stole from vedas and misintepreted like a third class man

<<Now, if you look properly at the sequence of the 8 Avatars, WHICH explaination between us makes sense more? :cak >>

Everything makes sense as long as and as far as heard from the right authority, if u goto a veternary doctor for ur fever(human) then u will never be cured witth the right drug, rather u also will be treated like an animal, samething has happend right now , all the bloody third class men have started intepreting in thier own way and started preaching especially to the persons like u !!! well in a way everybody tried to become Gurus which is not possible!!!!

Understand that our mind is very tiny (even darwins) and cant understand it wuthout the grace of the Lord .(Spiritual knowledge can be got by submissiveness not by arrogance)

Hari bol

Uttishta Kuanteya Yuddhaya Kritha Nischaya