IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Intermarriage - Brahmin and Khatri.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

my girlfriend ended our relationship because she says that her father will not accept a non-brahmin boy. To be honest, I wasn't too aware of this whole caste thing until recently. I'm a Hindu Khatri and she's a Brahmin from the mountains or something. Although we love each other dearly, she has sacrificed me for her parents (even though her parents have said nothing about it), our relationship is/was going on without her or my parents knowing and we aren't anywhere near marriage age but I don't know, it just saddens me.

I got mad at her for starting a relationship with me without thinking about this whole caste issue and then telling me after and breaking everything.

I'm quite sad, and I have no idea what to go about doing. Too bad I wasn't born into a Brahmin family?

Now I think, is this really how it works? There is no intermarriage between castes? Please post your comments/suggestions and anything.

Thank you.

Guest guest

Heh, having some problems with this thread,

*PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THREAD*

Delete the thread entitled : same

Guest guest

I forgot to mention that we're both from Toronto, Canada and that her father is still not over the wedding of her cousin, who married a Punjabi boy in India.

Guest guest

in the age of kali, we are all sudras, or people of low class birth. nobody falls into these higher categories anymore. the caste system was meant to seperate those men of lower births & god-potential from those of higher births with greater spiritual inclination. in the modern age it has become nothing but a farce. according to the modern version, i could change my surname and immediately be considered a man of higher birth. it's stupid..

Guest guest

Honestly, I don't know anybody in the West that still cares about caste, when it comes to marriage. It seems that parents are happy as long as the person is Indian and Hindu.

I agree with the above poster, in that most people don't practice varnas correctly anymore. Besides, it has been reiterated on this forum that varnas were originally determined by one's spiritual qualities/characteristics. After all, Valmiki went from a Sudra to one of the most respected Brahmin sages. Does your gf's dad know this? You shouldn't feel bad by not being "born" into a caste.

Guest guest

There is mention in some scriptures of inter-caste marriage. Anulome refers to a man of a "higher caste" marrying a woman of a "lower caste," and Pratilome is where a high caste woman marries a lower caste man. Tradionally, vedic culture didn't encourage the mixing of varnas, because it was hard to adjust to different customs. But, if it's outlined in the scriptures, then I'm sure some of them took place.

But, now these days, it shouldn't matter. Being born into a caste has nothing to do with it.

Let's say you have two kids that are "born into the Brahmin" caste. One smokes, drinks and sleeps around. One is pious,devoted and austere. Does it make sense for the two of them to get married, just because they were both born into the Brahmin caste? No.

Thus, marrying within your own caste now these days doesn't really have a point.

A lot of people on this forum say this caste nonsense should be eliminated from Hinduism anyway. It's just too much of a mess........If you truly love someone and they are as devoted to Hinduism as you are, then there's nothing wrong with marrying them, regardless of what caste they were born into.

Guest guest

This is not only applicable to Brahmins alone it is universal.

I have seen many instances of Brahmin girls marrying other caste boys who are rich. But I have never seen Brahmin boys marrying other caste girls because, there is no money as simple as that. Money makes many things.

Guest Priya Bansal

I am baniya.

I am Not Khatri and not a Brahmin.

i am a sociel worker, brahmans, Khatris and baniyas all are in my friend circle

But i see mostly Brahmins are greedy.

Pandit, ho ya kisi or profession mein ho, Brahman Lalchi  hi hota hai,