IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauradasa

Srila Prabhupada Speaks on the Swastika

Rate this topic

Prabhupada: Swastika is also there, Vedic mark. Especially for the impersonalists. But we take direct, beautiful Krsna, and worship Him.

There was no swastika on Arjuna's chariot. Kapidhbaja means whose flag is marked with a picture of Hanuman. So Arjuna's chariot had the flag of Hanuman on it.

Satyaraja Dasa ( Prabhupada's disciple, from his book Om Shalom ) Satyaräja Däsa: Oh, yes. The swastika as well. Er...actually it is a swastika in reverse. Let me make that perfectly clear. These are ancient Vedic symbols. To my knowledge, they were utilized in the Vedic tradition centuries before they were used by the Germans, for the swastika, and the Star of David, by the Jews.

Syamasundara: Just like when we investigate different folklores, different mythologies all over the world, we find certain symbols which are the same. For instance the swastika, we find that in the Indian mythology and you find it in Mäyä or Inca, western Indians' mythologies as well. And different symbols which are common to man all over the globe, whether they are primitive or whether they are advanced, Carl Jung says that these are archetypal images which for thousands of generations have been passed on in men's consciousness. So that we are composed not only of our own individual thoughts and ingredients but also the ingredients of our ancestors. Is this a fact?

Prabhupäda: Yes. That is called tradition. That is called tradition. But that is not paramparä. Paramparä is different. Paramparä means we get the right knowledge from the supreme. It is not something archetypal.

Syämasundara: Acquired. Archetypal. Means the original type.

Prabhupäda: My acquired knowledge can be changed by understanding from superior. Just like generally we have got bodily concept of life, but Krsna says, "No. You are not this body." So this knowledge is not coming to me from tradition, but I learn it from great authorities like Krsna.