IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Sri Gadadhara shows mercy

Rate this topic

In the Sri Caitanya Bhagavata

Sri Gadadhara shows mercy to the evil:

In that same village lived a very tyrannical Muslim priest, or Kazi. He was strongly opposed to the congregational chanting of the holy names. Intoxicated with spiritual ecstasy, Gadadhara dasa one night made his way to the Kazi's house. Everyone was mortally fearful of the Kazi, but Gadadhara dasa this night strode fearlessly to his residence. Never once did he stop chanting as he entered the house. The Kazi's friends and family members stared speechlessly in disbelief at Gadadhara dasa.

Gadadhara dasa said, "Where is that rascal Kazi? He had better chant Krsna's name or I will sever his head."

The Kazi came charging in, fuming with rage, but seeing Gadadhara dasa he calmed himself. The Kazi inquired, "Why have you come here, Gadadhara dasa?" Gadadhara dasa replied, "I have some things to discuss with you. Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda have incarnated in this age and have inspired the entire world to chant Krsna's holy name. Only you remain to chant, so I have come to urge you to chant Lord Hari's name. The Lord's holy name is all auspicious and supremely beneficial, and I take responsibility for saving you from all sinful reactions if you simply chant."

Although the Kazi was known to be very cruel, now he was speechless and stupefied. Then smiling wanly, the Kazi said, "Listen, Gadadhara dasa, tomorrow I will certainly comply with your request to chant 'Hari! Hari!' but tonight please go home."

As soon as Gadadhara dasa heard Lord Hari's name from the Kazi's mouth, he became jubilant. He said, "Why wait for tomorrow? Just now you have taken the Lord's name, and now you are completely free from all sins and inauspiciousness."

Saying this to the Kazi, Sri Gadadhara dasa began to dance like a madman clapping his hands. Then suddenly he turned around and left, leaving a surprised Kazi still staring after him. Gadadhara dasa returned to his residence. Gadadhara dasa was always absorbed in meditating on Lord Nityananda. He is counted among the foremost of Lord Caitanya's associates.

This Kazi was considered so evil that no saintly persons would come near him. In fact, they said his close proximity would contaminate anyone. Yet Gadadhara dasa showed his mercy even to such a demoniac person as he was. Gadadhara dasa was able to make him temporarily forget his malicious ways and inspire him to take Krsna's holy name once.

The truth is that one who is imbued with love of Krsna can never be attacked by snakes, tigers or any wild beasts, or be burned by fire. The devotional surrender to Krsna Lord Brahma strives for, and the intimate loving exchanges of the gopis of Vrndavana with Krsna were all manifest in the persons of Lord Nityananda's associates solely by the causeless mercy of Lord Nityananda.

Therefore, all of you, my brothers, please serve the lotus feet of Lord Nityananda. By His infinite grace one can attain the eternal shelter of Lord Caitanya.

So let it be written. So let it be done.