IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Gita by Radhakrishnan ?

Rate this topic

Dear Guest,

what is a good translation?

You can only find out this, if you try. So read more translations than one. And so you can compare.

And you will find out, that every translation is involved in a tradition.

If you are a follower of advaita-vedanta or shankara, than it is better to read translations of whom, wchich are involved in this tradition.

If you are a follower of any kind of dualistic vedanta, than read translations of people, which are involved in such traditions.

Radhakrishna is a typically neohinduistic repsresentative. And if you say, that is the siddhanta I follow, than read Radhakrishnas translation.

There is no good or bad translation, but there are translation which can concerne you or can not concerne you.

Hare Krishna

Nataraja

Guest guest

Radhkrishnan's version of the Gita is good for those westernised or from a christian background as I heard from others who read his books, he (rather annoyingly) tries to absorb Christianity into Hinduism this sometimes looks silly as some christians who know their scriptures well say his knowledge of christianity is inaccurate and he commits grave errors when trying to draw parallels between the two faiths.

I haven't read his books so I can't say.

As for the 'translation' of the Gita, most translations say more or less the same thing. For 'commentaries' it will depend on what sort of person you are.

But if I was to recommend a Gita translation with good commentary I'd recommend Swami Chidbhavananda of the Ramakrishna mission version, which gives an excellent commentary which seems to satisfies all those on the paths of Bhakti, Jnana and Karma Yoga or Sri Aurobindo's 'Message of the Gita' which is aimed at intellectuals, scholars and yogis.

Srila Prabhupada's version is good if you consider yourself a bhakta and believe in the bhagavad purana and don't take it as mythology.