IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Time For A Third Edition Of Bhagavad-Gita

Rate this topic

Time For A Third Edition Of Bhagavad-Gita

BY ANANDA-SVARUPA DASA

Jul 12 — We have been watching the continued discussion on the subject of the 'book revisions'. It seems that on both sides there are good points. In the 'Hayagriva' edition of the Bhagavad-gita there were certainly many mistakes and though Srila Prabhupada certainly did not want his books 'changed' at the same time he did want his books 'improved'. Certainly this is the intention of the 'Jayadvaita' edition. Maharaj is certainly a dedicated servant of Srila Prabhupada, however it would seem that in the opinion of many that he has gone too far.

Srila Prabhupada: My only credit is that I did not change anything.

He has quite rightly pointed out the necessity of improving mistakes such as the famous "fruitive being in the fixed conception" but the improvement of these clear errors does not justify all the other changes that seem to be not only unnecessary but incorrect. In many places there are changes of meaning, style and voice, and it is on these changes Maharaj has been mute, preferring to move the discussion to the area where the changes are clearly justified. This is not an example of clear thinking and straight talking, but rather a refusal to accept the conclusion of many that he has over-stepped his limits and fiddled unnecessarily with the earlier edition in ways that are highly questionable.

It is quite right that the devotees are unnerved to see Srila Prabhupada's books subject to changes that are not clearly supportable and productive of different meanings. Such a thing as many have pointed out is a dangerous precedent. The Bible is a document that is a fine example. Endless differing versions are available--is this the fate of Srila Prabhupada's books? While this may seem impossible at the moment,have not the BBT editors, of whom Maharaj is one, started a dangerous precedent with changes in the Gita whose necessity is questionable and that have produced clear changes in meaning?

This, we feel, is the central point in this debate. The concern of many devotees is: "When will it stop?" How many more changes in meaning will arrive?" Such concern is well placed and is the actual duty of the disciple in regard to the words of the spiritual master. Srila Prabhupada's oft repeated statement: "My only credit is that I did not change anything," is fully pertinent here. We would call upon Maharaj to consider these points not with a combative/defensive attitude but with humility and an understanding of the dutiful concern of the society of devottes that we do not indulge in the negative propensity of agitated "chopping and changing" and "breaking and building". Srila Prabhupada pointed out this tendency in his disciples. Maharaj, in humility, kindly consider have you not been subject to this proclivity? While the propensity may be expensive when a new temple president whimsically decides to remodel a temple room, it is certainly most dangerous when it acts upon the sacred writings of Srila Prabhupada and starts a fearful precedent of unnecessary change.

In the circumstances I would call upon either the KBI created by Hansdutta and Bhagavan Prabhus or the BBT(I) to produce a third edition of the Gita. This definitive edition would correct all the clear mistakes, correct the misplaced purports, have the improved word-for-word, and have only the editorial changes that are clearly supportable. How to define what is clearly supportable? I would suggest that not just the obviously needed changes be illustrated, but that every single change of punctuation, word or grammar be supported with relevant reason and argument and that every such case of change be published on the internet. Let there be imput from all concerned devotees of Srila Prabhupada, we are all custodians. When consensus has been reached (a time limit may be set) then let the book be published, signed and sealed as the final definitive edition.

We must act now in a positive defined course of action to bring this ensuing confusion to a conclusion--who can say that this is not the desire of our Srila Prabhupada?

I remain your servant,

Ananda-svarupa dasa

One of the reasons why Christianity is in the dump is because self-proclaimed prophets want to "improve" what is given to them.

I just want to remind you that the GRAVEST and UNFORGIVEABLE sin in Hindusm is to modify the words of the Lord (should it be the Vedas or the Gita).