IndiaDivine.org

Does God know the future?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How can God know our future actions? This means that no matter what we do, we will be following a set pattern of activities.

Wouldn't we be fooled into thinking we have free will...

for example, say i were to find the cure for cancer in the year 2020....but up until that point i just sat around and did nothing...wouldn't this somehow change the outcome?

Hare Krishna.

God knows exactly where each of the trillions of living beings will be in trillions of years time. That is God. He knows the past, present, and future of all living beings (zillions of living beings).

God is not someone who hangs on a cross.

We have free will, but he knows exactly what you're going to do.

Hare Krishna.

God has given us all free will to do whatever we want.

We can chosee to eat cows or be vegetarian. You control your own destiny. If you kill today then you will be killed tomorrow. I you sin today then you will have to pay for it tomorrow. It's not so difficult to know our own future. It's all based on what we do today.

We can create and practice whatever religion we choose. That's why there are so many religions which don't have the same beliefs.

i personally don't think God can see our exact future...or else we would just be puppets thinking we're actually creating our own future...no matter what we do (or choose to do) the outcome will be the same.

I think God can see the future depending on what decisions we make. It doesn't make sense that He knows what i am going to be after 100 lives. That means we are preprogammed to act and think a certain way to reach the desired outcome.

If you think God does not know the future then it means you do not know the power of God.

He knows exactly the trillions of living beings will be in trillions of years time. That is God.

If you have been brought up to think that God was someone who hanged on a cross, then you will not get this.

No i do not believe Jesus to be God in any way....I'm just confused as to how He can know the future and we still have free will at the same time.

Say i knew your future and exactly when you would die....do you think your actions/decisions would change the fact that you would be dying on that particular day and time?

just looking for a valid answer (as in from the scriptures)

Hare Krishna.

"O Arjuna, I know everything that has happened in the past, all that is happening in the present, and all things that are yet to come. I also know all living entities" (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 7.26)

“Many, many births both you and I have passed. I can remember all of them, but you cannot!"

(Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-Gita 4.5)

Hare Krishna.

In the Mahabharat war, before the war started. Lord Krishna gave Arjuna divine vision and showed him all the great sodliers on both sides being killed, even before the war started. That is God.

"All the sons of Dhrtarastra along with their allied kings, and Bhisma, Drona and Karna, and all our soldiers are rushing into Your mouths, their heads smashed by Your fearful teeth. I see that some are being crushed between Your teeth as well." (BG 11.26-27.)

Hare Krishna

You are thinking at your level.

God is great, that you fail to realize.

Whether Arjuna was going to fight or not was known to Lord Krishna before he appeared. The war was one reason why the Lord descended.

There is free will, but Krishna knows what you will do. That is God. That's why he says he knows the past, present, and the future of all living beings.

Only pure devotees who know the Lord's past times can understand him better than the average person.

The average person cannot understand at all.

I would suggest you read his past times and increase your devotion then you will understand him more.

I understand and believe that Krishna knows the past present and future....i'm not doubting this fact.

Im just questioning the free will aspect. I just want an answer to the question: How can free will exist if there is a predestined outcome?

this means we can be punished for future actions...Karma for things that we are meant to do. If i am destined to Kill a cow in 10 years time...will i be punished for it now?

How can free will exist if there is a predestined outcome?***

There is free will for us Jivas, which means there is no predetermined outcome. Krishna knows the past, present and future. That doesn't mean He's already determined what the future is gonna be (that's for us to decide using free will), it simply means He knows all POSSIBLE outcomes that follow the mis(use) of free will.

Hare Krishna.

Let me give you a real example from my own life.

When I was about 20, I went to see a future teller.

I asked him when I would get married. He said June and February.

At that time, I thaught this man is bogus, how can I get married in June and February.

About six years later, I got married in June 1993 and then again in February 1995.

The old future teller was 100% accurate.

It doesn't matter how good my first wife was, I was destined to divorce her. I actually feel guilty now for divorcing her as she was very loving and caring, but I still divorced her. It wan't in my control, it was destined for me. Based on my and her karma.

In a similar way, our future is predistined. Even some humans know what will happen in the future in our life. Just like the old future teller. Lord Krishna knows what will happen to each one of us trillions of years into the future.

It's not easy to understand this, but those who have higher consciousness can understand more than the average person.

Please note that not all future tellers are accurate, most are bogus. So be aware of this.

"He's already determined what the future is gonna be (that's for us to decide using free will), it simply means He knows all POSSIBLE outcomes that follow the mis(use) of free will. "

To add to the prior message. I forget to address the above statement. I totally disagree with this statement.

My second marriage was predistined. So it doesn't matter how good my first wife was. I was going to divorce her. I did just that.

The old future teller knew the exact months of my two marriages, and thus Lord Krishna knows exactly what my future is. Lord Krishna knows exactly where each of us will be in trillions of years time. That is God.

Most people cannot understand this, God's power is trully inconcievable.

"He knows all POSSIBLE outcomes"

This is completely wrong. Lord Krishna knows exactly what our future is. That is God.

thank you all for the responses, but what about "future karma" then ?

If we are destined to do or become somethingn then our choices will not effect that outcome right???

If i want to earn a PHd in some field of knowledge, but i am not destined to do so, no matter how hard i work/study i will not attain that position. So, i do not have free will...i am forced to follow this path.

And like i said before, why can we not be punished for future actions if Krishna knows what we WILL do?

I actually feel guilty now for divorcing her***

You used your free will to divorce her, about which Krishna knew. Supposing you'd used your free will NOT to divorce her, Krishna would've known that too. In other words, your free will as well as Krishna's omniscience remain intact.

My second marriage was predistined***

You used your free will to marry second time. So there is no question of predetermination.

I was going to divorce her. I did just that.***

That also implies free will.

This is completely wrong. Lord Krishna knows exactly what our future is. That is God.****

Krishna knows the future, because he exists in the three phases of time simultaneously, but that doesn't mean things are predetermined because you do have free will. So whatever decision you make will ALREADY be known to Krishna because he exists in the future as well. But that doesn't mean he's predermined your course of action. He doesn't have to, which is why he's given you free will.