IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

Lord Krishna appeared only 1400 years ago ?

Rate this topic

Haribol

I saw this story on the BBC new website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2226804.stm

Its good to see events such as Jamashtami being reported and the 'Hare Krishnas' actually being treated with due respect as a valid religion and not as a dangerous cult,

but there still seems confusion even amongst well-meaning media reports that Krishna is 'just' another God amongst the pantheon of hindu Gods, and also according to the above article, that he was born fairly recently (1400 years ago)

Although I do respect the BBC I wish they would do more programs on religions apart from Christianity (and these are limited to a small slot on Sundays) and be a bit more careful on the accurate reporting of beliefs.

There still seems to be this view held in the west, that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in the same God and differ on what they call him, and how they worship, whereas somehow the vedic based religions (lumped together as 'Hinduism') do not believe in the one true God (Lord Krishna).

Could a senior guru perhaps ask the BBC do an interview in which the Sanatana Dharma teachings and the Hare Krishna philosophy are clearly explained for the mass of ordinary people to clear things up?

Perhaps British devotees could persuade the BBC to do a documentary on the Hare Krishna movement as it celebrates its 40th birthday soon ?

I'd ask them myself but I am only a neophyte and I think it would be better coming from real devotees of a senior nature who are used to dealing with the media !

Hare Krishna !

Mark

Guest guest

but there still seems confusion even amongst well-meaning media reports that Krishna is 'just' another God amongst the pantheon of hindu Gods, and also according to the above article, that he was born fairly recently (1400 years ago)

To be fair, the report says that Krsna was born in 1400BC i.e. 3400 years ago, not 1400 years ago (of course, this is also incorrect).

Guest guest

Haribol

Got my ADs and BCs mixed up - My apologies to the BBC although still not accurate they were closer than I said!

Mark