IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Sri Adi Shankara

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have heard that Sri Adi Shankara was sent to preach impersonalism to bewilder the atheists.. Where did this idea come from? Which scritpure is it in?

Guest guest

you have heard of Shri shiv Shankar? or shankaracharya, because i do really know some about many incarnation and just one avataara taking place in Bharatavarsa - india. Is question of time.

Hes Kala also. bewilder is may to be as that of the way of preaching, even some learned scholar didnt know bout this, avataar. at the end of the Kalpa. Takes place. and aim to send all atmaa to Param-dhama.

om shanti.

Guest guest

Shankaracarya was an incarnation of Lord Shiva who had been ordered by the Supreme Lord to cheat the atheists. The Shiva Purana quotes the Supreme Lord as ordering Shiva: "In Kali-yuga mislead the people in general by propounding imaginary meanings from the Vedas to bewilder them." To do so, Shankara gave up the direct method of Vedic knowledge and presented an indirect meaning which actually covered the real goal of Vedanta. This is confirmed in the Padma Purana where Lord Shiva addresses his wife, Parvati:

My dear wife, hear my explanations of how I have spread ignorance through Mayavada philosophy. Simply by hearing it even an advanced scholar will fall down. In this philosophy which is certainly very inauspicious for people in general, I have misrepresented the real meaning of the Vedas and recommended that one give up all activities in order to achieve freedom from karma. In this Mayavada philosophy I have described the jivatma and Paramatma to be one and the same. The Mayavada philosophy is impious. It is covered Buddhism. My dear Parvati, in the form of a brahmana in Kali-yuga I teach this imagined Mayavada philosophy in order to mislead the entire population toward atheism by denying the personal form of God.

Herein, Lord Shiva himself points out that to believe God has no form is not accurate and equal to atheism. Even though this Mayavada philosophy was not good for pious people to hear because it would sway them toward an impersonalistic viewpoint, we should note that Shankara's philosophy was just right for the time and circumstance. The Buddhists, who had spread throughout India and neglected the Vedas, believed in neither a soul nor a God and that, ultimately, the essence of everything is the nothingness or void wherein lies nirvana, freedom from all suffering. So considering how the Buddhists had followed a philosophy of complete atheism for hundreds of years and would never have accepted a viewpoint which advocated a supreme personal God, Shankara's was the only philosophy they would have considered. It was like a compromise between atheism and theism, but Shankara used portions of Vedic knowledge as the basis of his arguments. In this way, as Shankara traveled throughout India his arguments prevailed. Thus, Buddhism bowed and Vedic culture was brought back to prominence. Therefore, his purpose was accomplished, so much so that his Sariraka-bhasya is considered the definitive rendition of Vedanta even to the present day.

Several times, however, Shankara revealed his true beliefs, that he was actually a devotee of Lord Krishna. For example, in the first verse of his Vivida-cudamani he explains that it is Krishna Himself who is the source of the supreme bliss and the Divine Master to whom he offers obeisance. Furthermore, in his birthplace of Kaladi there is a temple near the samadhi tomb of his mother that has a Deity of Lord Krishna that was installed by Shankara himself. Also, in his Gita-bhasya, the first verse explains that Narayana (another incarnation of Lord Krishna), or Bhagavan, is transcendental to the material creation. In The Bhagavad-gita with the Commentary of Sri Sankaracarya, Dinkar Vishnu Gokhale establishes that Lord Shiva writes in his "Meditations on the Bhagavad-gita": "Salutations to thee, O Vyasa [the incarnation of Krishna who compiled the essential Vedic literature]. Thou art of mighty intellect, and thine eyes are as large as a full-blown lotus. It was thou who brightened this lamp of wisdom, filling it with the oil of the Mahabharata." Shankara also readily points out that it is Bhagavan Krishna "whose glories are sung by the verses of the Vedas, of whom the singers of the Sama sing, and of whose glories the Upanishads proclaim in full choir."

This would seem to indicate that Shankara was encouraging everyone to read Bhagavad-gita and Mahabharata as written by Srila Vyasadeva to understand the conclusion of spiritual knowledge. This would also give evidence that Shankara's own personal beliefs were different from the philosophy that he taught. There is no evidence that makes this more clear than texts eight and nine of his Meditations on the Bhagavad-gita as follows:

I offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna, the transcendental, blissful husband of the Goddess of Fortune, whose mercy turns the dumb into eloquent speakers and enables the lame to cross mountains. Let all obeisances be unto the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna, whom Brahma, Varuna, Indra, Rudra, the Maruts, and all divine beings praise with the divine hymns of the Vedas and their supplementary parts, such as the Upanishads, whom the followers of the Sama-veda glorify with song, whom great mystics see with their minds absorbed in perfect meditation and of whom all the hosts of demigods and demons know not the limitations. To Him, the Supreme Lord, let there be all obeisances.

Near the end of his life, Shankara wrote his Bhaja Govindam prayers. Verses 1 and 34, which are the conclusive verses in these prayers, are often overlooked by his followers. Yet they were written especially for those who might miss the actual purport of the Vedas. He wrote, "Worship Govinda [another name of Krishna], worship Govinda, worship Govinda, you intellectual fools. At the end of your life all your grammatical arguments will not help you." And again in verse 34 he writes: "Worship Govinda, worship Govinda, worship Govinda, Oh fool. Other than chanting the Lord's names, there is no other way to cross the material ocean [of birth and death]."

In this way, even Shankaracharya emphasized that it is Krishna who is the Supreme form of God, and that the supreme form of God-realization is through the process of worshiping Him and chanting Krishna's holy names, which is the sure way of liberation from material existence.

Guest guest

Hi, can you give me the verse reference for the place where Lord Shiva says this?

Guest guest

Of course there is no verse where Lord Shiva says that exactly as it is mentioned here!! LOL!

Another misinterepretation!!

Guest guest

that Sankara was Lord Shiva. Sankara was, in fact, the asura Manimantha who was killed by Bhimasena in Dwapar Yuga. That's why Manimantha incarnated as Sankara in the kali yuga to fight Krishna by teaching people that Krishna doesn't even exist (after all, saying an object is attributeless is tantamount to saying the object doesn't exist). As you can see, Manimantha used such clever tricks in his advaita to fight Krishna but to his misfortune, Bhimasena took birth again as Sri Madhva to destroy him with his tatvavada.

This the REAL truth behind Adi Sankara's appearance and not what GVs would like you to believe, putting him on a pedestal by calling him Lord Shiva. GVs have no idea what they're talking about most of the time. Soon they'll say Karthigeya incarnated as Sai baba to deceive the atheists by teaching them neo-vedanta.

Just that

the real satya narayan khata is explanied throughout that knowledge for the new world.

If one doesnt mean to know, that is -one can´t forget gods mission, if it is shiva whom swallow all poison from the ocean. or whom relating the endurance of matterial world and all creation.

I have had the curiosity also, as Some lila avatar get melts with the roll, but is like, though knew knowledge means new gathering.

Can anyone explain about the expansions sence is like it goes like --shankara or sankarsan, shiva then rudra then narayan vasudeva nanda then baladeva .. i dont know further but here is something new about the rol of God father in this matterial.

ou i hope so to see the sastra points.

It is said that so couse of god it can be written millions of millions of trees with the ink he manifests the paper trees come from, and it ciant be more space inna forest to continue writtigng about him

The veda doesnt lie. What is this GVs, proposal anyway- in the long run ?

SB 1.3.24

tatah kalau sampravrtte

sammohaya sura-dvisam

buddho namnanjana-sutah

kikatesu bhavisyati

...Lord Buddha had to reject the authority of the Vedas altogether. This is simply technical, and had it not been so he would not have been so accepted as the incarnation of Godhead. Nor would he have been worshiped in the transcendental songs of the poet Jayadeva, who is a Vaisnava acarya. Lord Buddha preached the preliminary principles of the Vedas in a manner suitable for the time being (and so also did Sankaracarya) to establish the authority of the Vedas. Therefore both Lord Buddha and Acarya Sankara paved the path of theism, and Vaisnava acaryas, specifically Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, led the people on the path towards a realization of going back to Godhead.