IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

Compassion for animals

Rate this topic

Haribol,

Modern science gives backing to KC/vedic view of animals as being feeling thinking creatures and not just fleshy 'robots' - please see following web link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4360947.stm

Anyone in K.C probably knows all these 'findings' already, but its good to see the modern scientific view point catching up at last.

Perhaps many devotees should join CIWF organisation (many probably have already I guess), and could help put forward vedic/K.C information to what I guess would be a sympathetic audience, and help press the case for vegetarianism as the only truly compassionate way forward.

How I deeply regret all my years of meat eating now, caused by my weakness, laziness, lack of compassion, and by following convention rather than my heart.

Giving up meat, fish and eggs (prompted by turning to K.C) was the best thing I ever did. I wish I had done it decades ago, rather than deliberately blinding myself to how I was living.

I tell myself at least I'm doing the right thing now, but

I feel I do not deserve to be forgiven for carrying on meat eating for so long when deep down I felt it was wrong, but convinced myself otherwise.

What can one do about bitter regrets over past actions?

Chanting may burn up your karma, but it will not erase memories of past wrong doings in this lifetime, and the regrets stemming from them.

humble obeisances

Mark

Guest guest

Hare KRishna!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada! I offer my humble obeisances unto him!

It is too painful for me to see these animals slaughtered. Frankly, I have no faith things will change and get emotional and angry at the calous barbaric attitude people have for eating animals.

The joke is they make a big deal about dogs and cats and are least bothered about cows, and other farm animals.

All of them are plain hypocrites and can never love GOD or other people truly. I get emotional just when I see people's brutal ignorance to the fact that all creatures feel pain.

However, the link is good but i frankly feel people will never change.

Sorry for being pessimistic!!

Haribol!

anand

Haribol!

Thats OK Prabu..

The only thing I can do to temper you pessimism is to point out that I managed to change from my callous and barbaric ways, and that was mainly due to the mercy of Srila Prabhupadas writings.

If more people were to recieve this mercy then perhaps more might change.

We should try and distribute K.C literature, even if only to a few people around us , and not get too down.

I can fully understand your feelings, there seems to be no end to the cruelty.

I could kick my self sometimes for my past misdeeds, but if someone as weak and lazy as myself can change then I guess a lot more could, given the right prompting.

More humble obeisances and regrets

Mark

Haribol,

It's remains ever so staggering, to witness the gross ignorance of modern society. This "scientific revelation" is perhaps the greatest example. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this. How one can come to think that only humans are conscious is beyond me. Even before I got into KC I never thought only humans were conscious souls and animals some sort of miraculously animated dead matter.

Generally, people only have sympathy for the animals they keep as pets in their home, for their enjoyment. Personally I think we should all stop to hold any sort of pet, but that's another issue.

There was another topic on that site which highlighted the intelligence of fish. When young, I used to feel a tremendous pity for goldfish trapped in small bowls or aquariums.

At best, I can see this research leading to a general consensus like the following comment written by a reader of that newsbit:

"I believe that animals should be treated with dignity and respect. We should not be cruel and we should be as "humane" as is possible. But at the end of the day, I want to see them on my dinner table as well. I do not believe these two thoughts are incompatible."

Guest guest

What makes humans kill and eat animals?

The irreligions, this is the absolute truth.

The Bible says 'animals are food' and the Koran says animals should be killed and eaten to please Allah.