IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jagatpurush

Prabhupada-lila from 1969 Vyasa Puja book

Rate this topic

Blissful Return to New York

Namah Om Vishnupadaya Krishna Presthaya Bhutale Srimate Bhaktivedanta Swamin Iti Namine. Just hearing that Prabhupad was coming back to New York, the devotees, having felt separation from their Spiritual Master, were filled now with so much bliss as could be observed through flowing tears and joyous shouts of "Haribol." On the day Prabhupad was to arrive, the temple was swarming with activity like a beehive. After morning kirtan, Jayadvaita and Brahmananda gave everyone some task to help prepare arrangements to satisfy our spiritual master. Cleaning the temple spotlessly was very important, for as Prabhupad says, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." It could be definitely said that each devotee engaged to his utmost abilities in this preparation before the transcendental arrival of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami.

Knowing that my father's apartment in New York City would be vacant for The weekend, I called my father begging him if our Spiritual Master could stay there while explaining to him that anybody who can render service to Prabhupad can be relieved to some past sins. At first my father refused giving me the excuse that a guest would be occupying the room, but when I told him that Prabhupad means a million times more to me than Arnold Palmer means to him, he got the message and okayed my most important request. Before I put down the receiver, jubilant and ecstatic shouts expressed our feeling of thankfulness.

At around noon on the day of arrival, most preparations were finished And the devotees took Prasadam, their spiritual food. Soon after, we Gathered all the transcendental paraphernalia and departed for the airport singing joyfully the Holy Names of God while travelling on the bus. Arriving at the airport, the devotees paraded into the National Airlines Terminal pushing chairs aside and began to start kirtan. A crowd of spectators and National Airline officials watched as the devotees danced in ecstasy to the Hare Krishna Mantra. Finally, Prabhupad's plane arrived, and the Swami stepped out of the terminal building while the most respectful man in the community, Kirtanananda Maharaj, offered a most beautiful garland of flowers to Prabhupad. Prabhupad, accepting the flowers from the sannyasi, then walked over to the seat prepared for him, as all of the devotees offered their obeisances. Gasps of joy were exulted as Prabhupad touched Balai's baby in approval. Then Prabhupad was offered his khartals, and he led Kirtan. Then there was a procession out of the airport, as Ekayani strewed rosewater and rose petals in Prabhupad's path as he walked to the car followed by the devotees, who have taken shelter at his lotus feet. In the car, driving toward my father's apartment (which is really Krishna's), Prabhupad warned us that no matter how far we have advanced, Maya is so strong that we can easily slip back, so always be engaged for Krishna and have complete faith.

After settling down in the apartment, Brahmananda offered fruit to Prabhupad, which he then accepted and handed out to Purushottam, Hayagriva, Kirtanananda Maharaj, Jayadvaita, Chandan Acharya, and myself. I was as lucky and nervous as anyone could be and the pat my spiritual master gave me on the head was just another example of his causeless infinite mercy. Truly, this was the most treasurable and fortunate day in this life.

-Jimmy Feldman