IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
peter

As It Is version question

Rate this topic

I recently ordered the Bhagavad Gita As It Is Complete 1972 version. I understand some of the later versions were changed. Is the 1972 Complete edition the correct one?

Thank you

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

For a person who is interested in knowing the principles of KC, any version is fine. I have both versions on my site to please everyone.

When one is thirsty pure water is the best but a little impure water is better than no water.

Guest guest

edited by sanskrit scholars to be more gramatically correct eh? I've heard censorship described in the same way. Prabhupad did God's work. Sure we should not leave the literature untouched, because it is a living document. Still is the original wording left intact? We shouldn't just change things under the guise of correcting the grammar. Grammar can drastically change meanings so if it was ever unclear it should be left unclear because English was after all a second language and if translation was confusing to His Grace how can we be so arrogant as to suggest that we know better. All we can ethically do, in my opinion, is to make a footnote of the "correction", which maintains that it is a living document and has been critically studied with some dispute about the intended grammatical meaning.

Excerpt of Prabhupada Memories from Gauridasa Pandita Prabhu:

"We were always happy when Srila Prabhupada was telling a joke but when he was upset about something watch out. Actually in the four months that I personally served Srila Prabhupada I only saw him get angry about two things. One was the slamming of the guest house doors which he could hear from his garden and the other was when he found out that his books were being edited without his authorization."

Need I say more?