IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
neophyte

Some questions about Mahabharat

Rate this topic

Haribol!

I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask on behalf of a friend of mine.

Well, first she would like to know why when Krishna revealed his universal form in the court of Dhrtarastra, not everyone could see that, especially Kripacarya who is certainly a great personailty. Why was he not able to see that form when others were?

Secondly she is curious about the curse of Ashwatthama at the end of the war. How is it that a soul can be eternally condemned by God himself to remain in this material world and what were the specifics of that curse?

Thankyou!! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hare Krishna

please accept my obeisances

Well, first she would like to know why when Krishna revealed his universal form in the court of Dhrtarastra, not everyone could see that, especially Kripacarya who is certainly a great personailty. Why was he not able to see that form when others were?

Only the devotees of the Lord could see Him; because the Cosmic Form of the Lord cannot be seen with the material eyes rather only by the will of the Lord when He empowers a jiva with His internal energy.

Secondly she is curious about the curse of Ashwatthama at the end of the war. How is it that a soul can be eternally condemned by God himself to remain in this material world and what were the specifics of that curse?

Not eternally because the material world itself is not eternal (in a cycle of creation). As far as i know the curse was for three thousand years (will try to find the exact reference). In fact due to his vaishnava seva of pandavas while in guru's ashram, he will take the post of Vyasa at the beginning of the next yuga-chakra.

Thankyou for your reply Sumedh.

Are you saying that kripacarya was not a devotee of lord Krishna and was therefore unable to see him? I have just read elsewhere that so many had seen the Visvarupa of Krishna including personalities like Karna, Duryodhana & Duhsasana (http://www.vnn.org/editorials/ET0003/ET10-5657.html) who are domniac in nature. What is the meaning of this?

Sure a reference on that curse would be nice. Thankyou Prabhu for your time!

Hare Krishna and dandavat pranam

Okay, i finally got around to searching for the references.

Are you saying that kripacarya was not a devotee of lord Krishna and was therefore unable to see him? I have just read elsewhere that so many had seen the Visvarupa of Krishna including personalities like Karna, Duryodhana & Duhsasana (http://www.vnn.org/editorials/ET0003/ET10-5657.html) who are domniac in nature. What is the meaning of this?

Although Krishna exhibited Cosmic Form before everybody not all could see that Form. From http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m05/m05131.htm

Saying this Kesava, that slayer of hostile heroes burst out into a loud laughter. And as the high-souled Sauri laughed, from his body, that resembled a blazing fire, issued myriads of gods, each of lightning effulgence, and not bigger than the thumb. And on his forehead appeared Brahman, and on his breast Rudra. And on his arms appeared the regents of the world, and from his mouth issued Agni, the Adityas, the Sadhyas, the Vasus, the Aswins, the Marutas, with Indra, and the Viswedevas. And myriads of Yakshas, and the Gandharvas, and Rakshasas also, of the same measure and form, issued thence. And from his two arms issued Sankarshana and Dhananjaya. And Arjuna stood on his right, bow in hand, and Rama stood on his left, armed with the plough. And behind him stood Bhima, and Yudhishthira, and the two sons of Madri, and before him were all the Andhakas and the Vrishnis with Pradyumna and other chiefs bearing mighty weapons upraised. And on his diverse arms were seen the conch, the discus, the mace, the bow called Saranga, the plough, the javelin, the Nandaka, and every other weapon, all shining with effulgence, and upraised for striking. And from his eyes and nose and ears and every part of his body, issued fierce sparks of fire mixed with smoke. And from the pores of his body issued sparks of fire like unto the rays of the sun. And beholding that awful form of the high-souled Kesava, all the kings closed their eyes with affrighted hearts, except Drona, and Bhishma, and Vidura, endued with great intelligence, greatly blessed Sanjaya, and the Rishis, possessed of wealth of asceticism, for the divine Janardana gave unto them this divine sight on the occasion. And beholding in the (Kuru) court that highly wonderful sight, celestial drums beat (in the sky) and a floral shower fell (upon him). And the whole Earth trembled (at the time) and the oceans were agitated. And, O bull of the Bharata's race, all the denizens of the earth were filled with great wonder.

I am not sure of the meaning as given in the article you gave; all it can mean is that the Cosmic form was exhibited before all but due to their asura nature they were unable to see it in truth.

The curse to Ashvatthama is mentioned in Sauptika Parva of Mahabharata. From http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m10/m10016.htm

The holy one said, "The fall of this mighty weapon will not be fruitless. The foetus will die. But being dead, it will live again and have a long life! As regards thyself, all wise men know thee for a coward and a sinful wretch! Always engaged in sinful acts, thou art the slayer of children. For this reason, thou must have to bear the fruit of these thy sins. For 3,000 years thou shalt wander over this earth, without a companion and without being able to talk with anyone. Alone and without anybody by thy side, thou shalt wander through diverse countries, O wretch, thou shalt have no place in the midst of men. The stench of pus and blood shall emanate from thee, and inaccessible forests and dreary moors shall be thy abode! Thou shalt wander over the Earth, O thou of sinful soul, with the weight of all diseases on thee.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 8.13.16

galavo diptiman ramo

drona-putrah kripas tatha

rishyasringah pitasmakam

bhagavan badarayanah

ime saptarshayas tatra

bhavishyanti sva-yogatah

idanim asate rajan

sve sva asrama-mandale

O King, during the eighth manvantara, the great personalities Galava, Diptiman, Parasurama, Asvatthama, Kripacarya, Rishyasringa and our father, Vyasadeva, the incarnation of Narayana, will be the seven sages. For the present, they are all residing in their respective asramas.

Also mentioned in the Vishnu puraana that the vyasa for next yuga-chakra will be ashvatthama (sorry i have no reference, nor a copy of vishnu puraana rather what i have heard from senior devotees)