IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Max_

Shelter

Rate this topic

This great KC band needs some appreciation I think. I don't think Ray Cappo is making any records anymore, but still the Shelter back-catalog is inspiring young people. It was through the music of Shelter that I actually got interested in the Krishna Consciousness movement, and I just found three of their CDs today at a local independent music store. Ray's lyrics are so inspiring.

Haribol Max,

What sort of music do Shelter play please , and which is the best Shelter album (in your opinion)?

I have been thinking about buying one of their CDs as I have heard a few people on this site praise them, but was not too sure if I would like their music.

My (maya) tastes in music have ranged from 60s music all the through to Radiohead, and Whitestripes, but since my interest in K.C has grown I have been listening to less pop/rock and more to the few K.C recordings I have eg George Harrison-London RadhaKrishna Temple album, a couple of VisnuJana CDs (I wish I could find more), and recently purchased a Rasa CD 'devotion'.

Hare Krishna

Mark

It ranges, Shelters older CDs are very hardcore influenced, their most assessable album is probably Mantra, which has very very KC lyrics and a more poppy sound I guess you could say. I'd start with Mantra if I were you. Message Of The Bahagavat is one of the coolest songs ever I think.

Guest guest

haribol !

i'm friend with Raghunath. I came into KC thanx to Shelter too, as many of our generation (generation X ha ha !!)

Yeah the best is mantra, that's for sure. Ray doesn't seem to be doing a new album but he has a very cool site you can visit about Yoga and raw foods:

www.rawyogis.com

enjoy !

Hare Krishna

Many Thanks for the info Max.

Could anyone recommend some traditional K.C music/bhajans as well please please, as I would like to get more devotional music.

My humble obeisances

Haribol

Guest guest

You could try Jagjit Singh if someone is going to India, another singer is Anup Jalota. Also, if you were to search you would find many old Hindi film songs on Krsna which are prayers to Krsna (i mean in the Hindi movies). They are normally compiled into one cassette.

such tapes, though pleasant-sounding, will not help anyone develop Krishna bhakti because they are sung by nondevotees. if they are devotees, they are kanistha at best because they have no parampara.

"When the mantra is chanted by a pure devotee of the Lord in love, it has the greatest efficacy on the hearers, and as such, this chanting should be heard from the lips of a pure devotee of the Lord, so that immediate effects can be achieved. As far as possible, chanting from the lips of non-devotees should be avoided. Milk touched by the lips of a serpent has poisonous effects."

the closest to a devotee out of these is Jagjit Singh, who is a friend of ISKCON.

but better to hear from fixed-up practicing devotees as can be found on, e.g. www.chantandbehappy.com

Hare Krishna

May i suggest the records of Pandit Jasraj who is a great devotee of Krishna. His albums are of the classical Indian style which not everyone relishes but once one develops some taste then they are truly beautiful; i recently had the fortune of attending a live performance which was quite remarkable.

Guest guest

I have many mp3's by Loka Nunda Prabhu,

he makes dance/trance techno songs with nice devotional lyrics thru them.

If you liek that sort of music do a search on google for "loka nunda mp3" you can legally download most off his songs for free off the web through "alternatrive" music websites.. google will help you find them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

HareKrishna Jagatpurush! I think that bhajans sung by Anup Jalota atleast are good especially the ones he had sung about 10-15 years back as they are light and easy going tunes with simple lyrics. Anyone who has a little bit of sincere devotion for Krsna and Prabhupada may like those...I know I do. I agree with you that chanting by non-devotees could have the opposite effect. I have heard a couple of Anup Jalota's recent bhajans and I must admit I do not get the thrill I used to from the older bhajans that he has sung. It could be due to various factors eg. divorce that he got from his wife(his wife left him for Roop Kumar Rathod I understand) and a number of other factors probably. So, yes those could affect a singer as well. But yeah, the older ones are really good. Please forgive me for any offences to yourself, RadhaKrishna and Srila Prabhupada. HK! AGTSP! PAMHO!

Guest guest

The vrindavan mellows cd's of the 24-hour bhajan band Vrindavan (Krishna-Balarama mandir) led by Aindra Das are very nice. There are several cd's with recordings of Prabhupada singing bhajans and they are very nice as well. But for sure one of my favourites is Sri Narasimha Stotravali dedicated to Srila Prabhupada by a Sri Vidyabhusana, all hymns to Nrsimhadeva. The cd's of Nitai Das or also very nice all dedicated to Srila Prabhupada as well.

Guest guest

Can I get the vrindavan mellows cd's of the 24-hour bhajan band Vrindavan (Krishna-Balarama mandir) led by Aindra Das, in India? I have not been able to find them in shops in Bangalore.

In which country have these CDs been produced?

Hari Bol

Guest guest

The music of Krishna Das is also very beautiful, especially the c.d. pilgrim heart.

HARE OM.

Guest guest

I have some problems wit accepting Shelter's lyric. I'm very pleased that their popularity find place in people of various beliefs but I'm not accepting them as a bona fide source. Also I can't find much more than just satisfying senses and not concentrating on the real message.

Important part in their work is to bring Holy Name to the masses but when you pierce that point you should go on without Shelter or any similar band.

I hope that i wasn't too offensive with this post.

yours servant,

Radhe Radhe