IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
silvere

Harmonium lessons ! help !

Rate this topic

Hey i just got a small harmonium. i got some of the songs on "gauranga.org" and as i'm a really novice musician and let's say it, i've never really had some talent at it, i'd like to know if some of you know very simple songs, in the same style of Jaya Radha Madhava or Nrsimha prayers, where you press 2 or 3 keys at the same time and change form time to time:

example: DMR then PGS... you know what i mean, very simple but beautiful songs in the same style. i really enjoy playing the 2 songs above but the others in the book downloadable from gauranga.org are too complicated for me.

Any help welcome !!

Sunanda

Guest guest

Dont think there are any books that will teach you how to play in the chords, I was in a similar situation to you, but didn't know who to ask. Then one day it came to me, like magic (probably that krishna again). If you like you can get in touch with me, ma email is:

defilade@hotmail.com

Guest guest

Hi!! I am trying to learn as well and have ordered the following 2 DVDs from ITV. Have you used these by any chance? Did they help? Any tips will be highly appreciated. Hare Krishna!

HARMONIUM LESSONS with Vaiyasaki Dasa. & VISHNUJANA MELODIES, SRI PRAHLAD HARMONIUM MELODIES

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

I also bought a harmonium very recently and i have become very good at it in very shorts period of time. i can a new kirtan or bhajan in less than 10 minutes. There are two ways of learning i think one way os learning it properly from a teacher or book. Or the other which i use very, very useful is learning by sound, i sing and find the right keys which suite the tone and start from there then i play around with the other to get the rest of it. If u like, i don go by sa re ga ma pa, as i find that too complicated i follow the keybord notes, so if u like, u cud give me ur email address and i cud send u files in word format. i have learnt nrsimha prayers, various mahamantra tunes, including some of vaiyasaki's from kirtan rasa, and B.B.G maharaj's from his fantastic recoridings, and i no time u can also be playing at kirtans. I have bin to kirtans not noing what we are goign to sing but i now the kirtans and bhajans and the ay they r sang so i figure it out from there and we have great sanga. my email address is kishan_2890@htmail.co.uk. do email me if u have questions or want help. Hare Krishna

Hey i just got a small harmonium. i got some of the songs on "gauranga.org" and as i'm a really novice musician and let's say it, i've never really had some talent at it, i'd like to know if some of you know very simple songs, in the same style of Jaya Radha Madhava or Nrsimha prayers, where you press 2 or 3 keys at the same time and change form time to time:

example: DMR then PGS... you know what i mean, very simple but beautiful songs in the same style. i really enjoy playing the 2 songs above but the others in the book downloadable from gauranga.org are too complicated for me.

Any help welcome !!

Sunanda

Guest guest

I got a small green fold-up suitcase model. Simple, but very nice sounding. Ive had it for 35 years, bought it mail-order from mumbai, and it arrived in pieces.

Make yourself a drone (forget the drones built-in) by removing the hold-downs, then you can play anything rather easily. I especially like Srila Prabhupadas version of Haraye Namah Krsna (E Chai Gosai).

I run mine thru a peavy stereo-chorus amp and a flanger. Now there is a sound for ya. Might bring boos from traditionalists, but then, why? Harmoniums are not indian instruments any way, the druids and celts brought them there. Pink Floyd was criticized for being all amp, no talent. Until Roger Waters said to a reporter, "There's my amp. lets see you do Floyd?".

mahaksadasa