IndiaDivine.org

Telling my mother

Rate this topic

Max_

Well today I sorta told my mom that I'm a Krishna, it was kinda weird. I was joking around that I wanted to be a monk, and she starts talking about the vow of silence that Catholic monks take. So I said "no, I wouldn't be a Catholic monk" and she asked me what other kind of monks were there, and I explained that Buddhist monks can talk and such. Then she asked me if girls can be monks, and I took it as my opportunity to mention Hare Krishna monks, and how the girls can take the same vow as the guys and stuff. Well I explained that a bit to her and she asked me if I ever prayed, and I told her the Hare Krishna mantra and how it's just like the Our Father or Hail Mary. Oh and I also told her that I chant on beads. And then I popped the big question "would you freak out if I told you I was a Hare Krishna?" and shes' like "yeah.. it's a cult". Then I explained to her some basics of it, how it is just Vaishnava devotee Hinduism and some famous people like Harrison who were Krishnas. Needless to say after some time talking she said if I wanted to go to a Hindu temple sometime she'd think about tagging along with me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thats good that you finnaly got to tell your mother and she said she would tag along. good story.my mom used to be an om namah shivaya chanter so it wasnt to hard for her and my dad is very spiritual and one day i asked him about srila prabhupada and he said he had read the bhagvad gita and loved it soooo, it wasnt to hard for me.i just did this recently too, because i am young, only 13 and i too got intersested in it early. If you think about it this probably happend because of krishna's grace.... we have been chanting and it is said that it will all happen naturally if you worship krishna..... cool huh?

hare krishna

She already knew, but I still had very long hippie hair (in 1972). She had spent years tryin to get me to cut my hair, and I was bein stubborn, because the girls all liked it and I was way cool, hash-oil king of the surfin pukes.

So I go knockin on mamas door in Kaneohe, Hawaii, as she went into shock, cause I was as bald as the day I was born. She was so happy, until I turned around, and showed her the braided sikha reaching down to my belt.

She was cool, and a devout lover of Gods servant in her own humble way. She was a catholic devotee of Mother Mary, and I had great rapport with her on that subject, because to this day, I too appreciate the transcendental position of the glorious daughter of Hannah and Joachim, descendant of King Solomon.

Find a way to connect with family members, use your extra benefit to inject a little something into them. It works, they always listen.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa