IndiaDivine.org

narayana

Rate this topic

Guest guest

just a few questions:

How is Narayana different from Vishnu?

Does Narayana have a separate abode in the spiritual world?

Is Narayana the one who sleeps on the ocean of milk?

Srimad-Bhagavatam says Narayana is the supreme cause of all causes. It also says that Narayana is the holy name tht is the ultimate aim to chant at the time of death...

So how come we chant Krishna, not Narayana?

Please forgive any offence.

Lord Narayana lives in Vaikuntha-loka with Lakmi-devi.

it is the abode predominated by opulence. On this abode you also have Kurma, Buddha, Varaha, Nrsimha...

Above this you have Madhurya dhama, and above all you have Svarupa Sakti, with Goloka Vrndavana with Radhika and Krsna and Gaura Nitai.

i recommend you to check Sri Brahma Samhita "5th chapter" translated by Srila BV Narayana Maharaj. inside you also have a fully detailed map of the material and spiritual worlds as a poster.

Jay Radhe !!

narayan, vishnu, padmanabha, srivasa etc all the gagillian vishnu murtis differ in their paraphernalia. Each holding the shanka, chakra, gada, padma in gagillians of different combinations. Wearing their clothes differently and so on. Each with their own Vaikuntha loka. Says in Garuda Purana right?

The purusha avatara kshiro vishnu sleeps in yoga nidra in the kshiro ocean. I believe you can find in bhagavat.

Srimad-bhagavat says krsna is svayam bhagvan, the original narayan and that narayan is from krsna. Says padma puran, krsna is subject matter of ever line of bhagvat. so when u see names narayan, vishnu etc they are refering to krsna directly or indirectly. So chant krishna or narayan whatever form one perfers

So there is no actual personality called Vishnu living in Vaikuntha?

It is Narayana who lives there?

More importantly, what is Narayana's role in creation?

Are Narayana and Vishnu two different expansions of Krishna who are both united with the same Laxmi?

If the Srimad Bhagavatam is supposed to give us the highest lesson on God-realisation, why does it tell us that the PERFECTION of human life is to remember Narayana...why does it not say that it is one of the ways of getting out of material world, but actually there is something higher than the chanting of Narayana and that is the chanting of Krsna?

My doubt is here because I always thought the biggest evidence that Krishna is Supreme was that he was described as 'the source of all incarnations'...however, a similar quote is there for Narayana 'the supreme cause of all causes'...add to that the references where it says 'anta Narayana' (In the end everything ends up with Narayana)...

On what basis then can we truly say that Krishna is superior to Narayana? Someone may argue that when they say Krishna is the source of all incarnations, they are actually referring to Narayana.

Especially since the underlying message in Mahabharata (save for the Bhagavad Gita) says that Krishna in a previous age was Narayana (and Arjuna was Nara)...

I know this is a long-winded email with many questions, but is it not important to know from scripture exactly why Krsna is Supreme?

I suppose why the names Naryan and Vishnu are used a whole lot more in sastras is because these are the forms everyone knows. The majestic forms of Krishna that deal with the material manifestation. More emphasis given to these so we'll know the 'human-like' Krishna is god, I suppose.

http://vedabase.net/sb/10/3/44/en1

When being 'born' to Devaki, Krishna says: I have shown you this form of Vishnu just to remind you of My previous births. Otherwise, if I appeared like an ordinary human child, you would not believe that the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Vishnu, has indeed appeared

...if anything that just makes things more confusing. Now we have a quote coming from Krishna saying that Vishnu is the Supreme Personality of Godhead...

...why is Krishna not saying, I am the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna, born as your son - why does he bring Vishnu into it?

SYNONYMS

om -- O my Lord; namah -- offering my obeisances; bhagavate -- unto the Personality of Godhead; vasudevaya -- unto Vasudeva (the son of Vasudeva), or Lord Sri Krishna, the primeval Lord; janma-adi -- creation, sustenance and destruction; asya -- of the manifested universes; yatah -- from whom; anvayat -- directly; itaratah -- indirectly; ca

SYNONYMS

om -- O my Lord; namah -- offering my obeisances; bhagavate -- unto the Personality of Godhead; vasudevaya -- unto Vasudeva (the son of Vasudeva), or Lord Sri Krishna, the primeval Lord; janma-adi -- creation, sustenance and destruction; asya -- of the manifested universes; yatah -- from whom; anvayat -- directly; itaratah -- indirectly; ca -- and; artheshu -- purposes; abhijnah -- fully cognizant; sva-rat -- fully independent; tene -- imparted; brahma -- the Vedic knowledge; hrida -- consciousness of the heart; yah -- one who; adi-kavaye -- unto the original created being; muhyanti -- are illusioned; yat -- about whom; surayah -- great sages and demigods; tejah -- fire; vari -- water; mridam -- earth; yatha -- as much as; vinimayah -- action and reaction; yatra -- whereupon; tri-sargah -- three modes of creation, creative faculties; amrisha -- almost factual; dhamna -- along with all transcendental paraphernalia; svena -- self-sufficiently; sada -- always; nirasta -- negation by absence; kuhakam -- illusion; satyam -- truth; param -- absolute; dhimahi -- I do meditate upon.

TRANSLATION

O my Lord, Sri Krishna, son of Vasudeva, O all-pervading Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. I meditate upon Lord Sri Krishna because He is the Absolute Truth and the primeval cause of all causes of the creation, sustenance and destruction of the manifested universes. He is directly and indirectly conscious of all manifestations, and He is independent because there is no other cause beyond Him. It is He only who first imparted the Vedic knowledge unto the heart of Brahmaji, the original living being. By Him even the great sages and demigods are placed into illusion, as one is bewildered by the illusory representations of water seen in fire, or land seen on water. Only because of Him do the material universes, temporarily manifested by the reactions of the three modes of nature, appear factual, although they are unreal. I therefore meditate upon Him, Lord Sri Krishna, who is eternally existent in the transcendental abode, which is forever free from the illusory representations of the material world. I meditate upon Him, for He is the Absolute Truth.

__ http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/1/1/en1

In case you didn't notice thats the FIRST VERSE!!!!!!

http://vedabase.net/sb/10/85/4/en1

You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who manifest as the Lord of both nature and the creator of nature [Maha-Vishnu]. Everything that comes into existence, however and whenever it does so, is created within You, by You, from You, for You and in relation to You

http://vedabase.net/sb/10/85/31/en1

O Soul of all that be, the creation, maintenance and destruction of the universe are all carried out by a fraction of an expansion of an expansion of Your expansion. Today I have come to take shelter of You, the Supreme Lord

Srila Sridhara Svami explains this verse as follows: The Lord of Vaikuntha, Narayana, is but one expansion of Sri Krishna. Maha-Vishnu, the first creator, is Lord Narayana's expansion. The total material energy emanates from Maha-Vishnu's glance, and of that total material energy the three modes of nature are divided portions. Thus it is Sri Krishna, acting through His expansions, who generates, sustains and dissolves the universe

http://vedabase.net/sb/11/6/16/en1

My dear Lord, the original purusha-avatara, Maha-Vishnu, acquires His creative potency from You. Thus with infallible energy He impregnates material nature, producing the mahat-tattva. Then the mahat-tattva, the amalgamated material energy, endowed with the potency of the Lord, produces from itself the primeval golden egg of the universe, which is covered by various layers of material elements

http://vedabase.net/sb/11/15/30/en1

My devotee becomes unconquerable by meditating on My opulent incarnations, which are decorated with Srivatsa and various weapons and are endowed with imperial paraphernalia such as flags, ornamental umbrellas and fans

http://vedabase.net/sb/11/27/5/en1

O lotus-eyed one, O Supreme Lord of all lords of the universe, please explain to Your devoted servant this means of liberation from the bondage of work

I can't thank you enough for these quotes...

...i was under the illusion that it was very vague...

...now seeing this, i realise that srimad bhagavatam is very clear as to the position of Krsna as Supreme...

Haribol