IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Humble questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

All glories to the online (and offline) devotees!

Please excuse my ignorance but I have become very interested in transcendental matters over the last year through reading Srila Prabhupudas works and various krishna websites, and have some questions.

Srila Prabbhupada and the vedic works stress the importance of finding a spiritual master - who are the spirital masters at the moment and where can I find a recognised one ? (I live in a small village in Warwickshire in the U.K ). Does the spiritual master have to belong to ISKCON ?

I have grown some tulasi plants, as I read that the tulasi is beloved by Krishna as a devotee, and offer my humble obeisances to them each day. I have also read that the holy basil (tulasi plant) has many wonderful health giving properties. I have not dared to use the leaves of the tulasi I have grown, as I did not wish to commit an offense by harming a devotee of Krishna ! Is it ok to consume the leaves ?

I have been chanting the maha mantra every day now for sometime, but have never had the time to sit and chant 16 rounds on beads - I usually chant about 2-6 rounds on beads and chant quietly to myself during my daily work/chores when I have chance, but without being able to count.

I have some difficulty making a proper offering of any food I eat, although I do say a silent offering/thanks to Kishna each time I eat any food that is offerable.

I have not had the courage to mention my interest in krishna conciousness to my family yet, as it caused an upset when I announced that I was going to become a vegetarian ! Also, it is quite difficult to avoid finding vegetarian foods that do not contain onions/garlic and sometimes end up eating products with eggs in, which makes me feel unhappy.

I would like to progress further in Krishna consciousness. Any suggestions what I should do?

I apologise for my ignorance and know I am a very feeble proto-devotee, but am sincere in my wish to progress.

I hope I have not offended any true-devotees reading this.

Guest guest

who are the spirital masters at the moment and where can I find a recognised one ?

••there's many pure devotees who can act as spiritual masters now in the world... pray krsna to have their mercy and they will find you

Does the spiritual master have to belong to ISKCON ?

••iskcon means krsna consciousness... spiritual master has to be fully krsna conscious and pure devotee.. organization is not important

I usually chant about 2-6 rounds on beads and chant quietly to myself during my daily work/chores when I have chance, but without being able to count.

••it is very nice.. but try to find the time to chant 16 rounds with japa in concentration.. even in small groups of rounds during all the day

I have some difficulty making a proper offering of any food I eat, although I do say a silent offering/thanks to Kishna each time I eat any food that is offerable.

••what are you doing is an offering... remember to chant one mahamantra while you are offering silently. Eat only vegetarian foods and offer everything.. never eat anything else

I have not had the courage to mention my interest in krishna conciousness to my family yet

••do not worry.. everything wll come up naturally

Also, it is quite difficult to avoid finding vegetarian foods that do not contain onions/garlic

••in your condition of life onions and garlic are offerable foods... not eggs, so try to avoid eggs and do not worry for onions/garlic.... they're plants

I would like to progress further in Krishna consciousness. Any suggestions what I should do?

••krsna consciousness is being conscious of krsna, the only system to call krsna and know him is to chant the mahamantra... so please chant more rounds you can and go on with your habit to chant hare krsna everytime you can. This habit makes you a very fortunate and advanced person

I am a very feeble proto-devotee

••i protest!! you are a nice and enthusiastic devotee of the lord.. i offer to you my obeisances

Guest guest

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement - I will try and chant as much as I can. Another question ! Is it necessary to fast and when and how often should I do this ?

I have so many questions, I must try and find a spiritual master!

Guest guest

no fast!!! eating krsna prasadam is much more effective than fasting

if you want it could be very nice to observe ekadasi.. that's not a "true" fasting

Guest guest

who are the spirital masters at the moment and where can I find a recognised one ?

pray to find spiritual master, whenever possible go to talks by spiritual masters, and you'll know when you meet the one for you. Engange yourself in devotional service. There is a temple in Coventry. Also, check out www.psena.com for info on talks by Swamis coming to the UK.

Does the spiritual master have to belong to ISKCON ?

Yes. Only then is the spiritual master following Prabhupada's instructions.

I usually chant about 2-6 rounds on beads and chant quietly to myself during my daily work/chores when I have chance, but without being able to count

that's good, keep it up. When u feel ready, increase. Also, I assume u say Panca Tattva Mantra and Prabhupada Pranati before each round - this ensures that you never cause offence to Krsna. Its like a protection in the form of mercy of Guru, Lord Caitanya and the different devotional energies.

Offer all food to Krsna, that is good. Also, try offer to Caitanya for his mercy.

Onions and garlic:

please try and make food if you have time (Kurma Dasa - Great Vege dishes has many recipes)

'Fulfilled' range of Sandwiches have many with no garlic or onion...

if still struggling then offer onion/garlic, but ask for Krsna to forgive...again Caitanya's mercy is important here too...

To progress further:

1. Chant (nothing more important then this)

2. read about Krsna

3. associate with devotees (if possible)

4. visit temple (if possible)

5. worship deity (u can do at home if u like)

6. eat prasadam

Ask Coventry temple if you can do any service there, it is a good experience...But if you don;t ahve time, just rememeber to do everything (your job included) as a service to Krsna...

You are amazing devotee!

Guest guest

http://www.iskcon.org.uk/coventry/

as for tulsi, just offer to Krsna. Don't eat...Consult ayurvedic practitioner for more info about whether one can eat tulsi.

Also, it is not as important, because the main thing is your level of devotion, not what you offer. But if you are interested, I understand that basil is not the same as tulasi..but I am no expert...

Again to reiterate, your devotion is main thing, and since u have taken effort to plant somethin for Krsna, you must be a very good devotee.

Haribol!

Guest guest

to summarise: sin personified enters into grains on ekadashi, so on every 11th day (ekadashi) of month you may decide not to eat grains. It is optional, it brings more spiritual benefit is u do observe it.

Don't worry about it too much - remember, most important is to chant

What Constitutes "Grains" on Ekadashi?

Srila Prabhupada specified foodgrains and beans (pulses) as foods that must be avoided on Ekadashi. One may use spices for cooking, although mustard seeds should be avoided.* You should not use powdered asafatoeda (hing), since it (generally) contains grains. Sesame seeds are also to be avoided, except on Satila Ekadashi, when they may be offered and eaten.

Do not use any cooking ingredients that might be mixed with grains, such as ghee that has been used to fry puris, or spices touched by hands dusted with chapati flour. There is absolutely NO doubt about what is NOT permissible to eat on Ekadashi. ANNA. However it is how you translate this word that makes the difference. I once again submit what Pradyumna Prabhu told me Srila Prabhupada told him many years ago. When asked by Pradyumna what we could eat Srila Prabhupada said "Fruits, Roots, Nuts, Milk". If you stick to these types of foods you should be fine. Of course the sure way is to fast completely. Water of course can be taken. Except if you wish to do Nirjala.

* Someone who is very strictly observing Ekadashi should avoid all spices except pepper, rock salt and cumin. He should also eschew certain vegetables, such as tomatoes, cauliflower, eggplant, and leafy vegetables. Temple kitchens need not follow these strictures, since Srila Prabhupada did not establish them. Individual devotees may observe these rules if they choose, either making their own arrangements for cooking on Ekadashi, eating uncooked foods such as fruit, or observing full fasting. These arrangements should not interfere with the temple cooking schedule.

Guest guest

**I assume u say Panca Tattva Mantra and Prabhupada Pranati before each round - this ensures that you never cause offence to Krsna.

Can you tell me what these are please ?

Many thanks to all !

Guest guest

Prabhupada Pranati:

Nama Om Vishnu Padaya Krishna Prestaya Bhutale

Srimate Bhaktivedanta Swamin Iti Namine

(I offer my respectful obeisances unto His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupâda, who is very dear to Lord Krishna, having taken shelter at His lotus feet.)

Namaste Saraswati Deve Gaura Vani pracharine

Nirvishesha Sunyavadi Paschatya desha tarine

(Our respectful obeisances are unto you, O spiritual master, servant of Sarasvatî Gosvâmî. You are kindly preaching the message of Lord Caitanyadeva and delivering the Western countries, which are filled with impersonalism and voidism.)

Panca Tattva Mantra:

Jaya Shree Krishna Chaitanya Prabhu Nityananda

Shree Advaita Gadadhara Shrivasadi Gaura Bhakta Vrinda

(I offer my obeisances unto the Supreme Lord, Krsna, who is nondifferent from His features as a devotee, devotional incarnation, devotional manifestation pure devotee, and devotional energy)

To clarify:

Caitanya = incarnation of Radha-Krsna

Nityananda = incarnation of Balarama

Advaita = incarnation of Maha-Vishnu + Sadashiva

Gadadhara = incarnation of Narada Muni (perfect spiritual master)

Srivasadi = incarnation of perfect devotee (mood of separation)

Guest guest

Thank you for your response :-

I have been chanting the Panca Tattva mantra but without realising it was called that.. I am so ignorant of so many things, please excuse me. I have now added offering my humble obeiesances to Srila Prabhupada and Sarasvati Gosvami, although not in the exact words you stated, as I am having a little difficulty remembering the Prabhupada Pranati precisely, not having a great memory as well as being ignorant!

I have made an effort to chant more but am still falling short of 16 rounds due to lack of time, but am usually managing about 8 quite regularly. I pray can change my life in some way to have more time.

I am a fraud at the moment, as I am in charge of of the lottery syndicate in my office, so am still an (unwilling) gambler, although I shall step down from this at the end of this year when I can settle financially with the syndicate members.

I am embarrased by this dishonesty and am not to be considered a devotee yet, and hope krishna and all his devotees can forgive me for not fully following the four regulative principles properly.

I do not know if I will ever be acceptable as a devotee, but it would be nice to be by my fortieth birthday next year. They say Life begins at 40, and I can't think of a better, happier life than to be a devotee.

I offer my humble thanks to Srila Prabhupada whose writings have shown me the direction in which to go and I feel have literally saved my soul, but I still have quite a way to go before I get there.

I hope I did not give the false impression that I was a devotee already, as I am just someone who became interested in spiritual matters, had the great fortune to have read some of Srila Prabhupada's works, and am gradually realising that instead of trying to make myself happy I should try to make Krishna happy first. I need to put this into practice.

My sincere thanks to all the devotees who have responded so far, to help me in my quest.

Any more suggestions to help me to make Krishna happy would be most welcome.

My highest regards to all true devotees, and apologies for being in offence.

Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

Oops - previous response was from myself, I missed putting my name to it, just in case you had not guessed..

Are there any devotees in the Stratford-on-Avon area of Warwickshire , UK ?

Guest guest

none of us are true devotees...we try our best, and you are doing the same...keep it up...

like i said, coventry or biringham iskcon is the nearest for you...try and go on the weekend if you have transport facilities...

Guest guest

Jaya Srila Prabhupada! Hare Krishna!

(I posted the original article)

I have been continuing regular chanting (on beads) every day and have so far managed to do 4 rounds without fail, but I was wondering is there a formal vow that I need to make to God, Lord Krishna? I made a mental promise to God to chant 4 rounds - is this enough ?

I still find my mind wandering on a regular basis when chanting though, and although I pull it back to concentrating on the mantra, as soon as I realise, I still feel bad about my regular lapses.

I have managed to remember the panca tattva and prabhupda pranati now, and say before each round, to apologise for offenses, but wish I could stop my mind wandering.

I quite often chant 8 rounds, and occasionally have managed 16, but my life (work/family life/chores etc) seems to conspire against me having time to do this. I want to chant 16 rounds but find everyday life gets in the way- I guess this is a challenge that I have to tackle with persistance and determination ?

I would like one day to be initiated as a devotee, but feel I could not take this step while being unable to guarantee being able to chant 16 rounds, which could mean me waiting until my retirement in twenty years time !(if I make it that far..)

Also, living a outwardly conventional white middle class male life I would find it awkward wearing the tilak. Are the tilak markings essential to being a devotee ?

I would like to thank Lord Krishna, Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada for everything in my life, and apologise for my offenses and my impure heart. Many thanks to all devotees who have responded.

Regular chanting has made me a lot happier, as has offering a leaf and a flower to Lord Krishna each day.

I hope to build up courage to make a visit to Coventry temple soon, but for some reason still feel a little scared of doing this - I don't know why though..

I hope I have pleased Lord Krishna a little, and not caused too much offence in my clumsy attempts at devotional service.

Haribol!

Guest guest

Haribol Pabhuji,

pamho. all glories to Srila Prabhupada!!

you seem like a very sincere person. i am very fallen and very much in ignorance, but still felt compelled to reply to your nice letter. please forgive any unknown offense on my part.

if you make time for Krishna (to chant); He makes time for you. (to chant). there is very nice reciprocation. getting up very early in the morning to do your chanting is most beneficial. it is easier for your mind to stay focused and also the spiritual potency before the sunrise is in your favor.

wearing tilak is important, but if necessary, you can wear water tilak, you will know it is there.

it sounds like you are closer to initiation than you think. most times, you must be chanting 16 rounds for at least one year and following the four regulative principles.

visiting the temple sounds like a great idea. devotee association is very important and very powerful. seeing the form of Lord Krishna is also very powerful and beneficial. There may be a number of reasons you haven't visited the temple yet, but why speculate? I have never regretted going to the temple, even when I was reluctant. Krishna is always merciful and kind to his devotees.

Again, I have no qualification to speak, or to advise, i am still just a neophyte and have lifetimes of changes to make. please pray for me to recieve the mercy and blessings of Lord Balaram.

hoping to remain a servant,

tkdd

Guest guest

Haribol! Jaya Srila Prabhupada!

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Since my last post I have tried harder to find time to chant, and have managed to chant 16 rounds most days, although it has been a struggle to find time sometimes. I pray I can keep this up and hope Lord Krishna (and all devotees) can forgive me for my failures.

I have recently reduced my lottery gambling signicantly and hope I can stop this at the end of the year when I can get out of my lottery syndicate. I just worry I will stay in due to the feeling that I will be upset if my work colleagues win lots of money and I'm not a part of the syndicate anymore. This is an example of sowing small seeds of sin and having them grow and the sower reaping the bitter fruits! Serves me right ..

I was relieved to hear about wearing the water Tilak, as this would solve my problem of fitting in with conventional society in the U.K, yet still observing K.C principles.

I still don't know whether I could ever be be pure enough to become a devotee, but all I can do is keep practising mahamantra meditation and try to maintain and develop my faith.

My humble obeisances to all neophytes and devotees.

Mark

Hare Krishna

I have finally managed to get out of the lottery gambling syndicate I was in and have now stopped.

At first it seemed such an innocent thing to do, just a bit of fun, but when I even thought about stopping this gambling I felt the worry and anxiety that a addict has of giving up their addiction.

I feel much relieved!

Although gambling, as with any other sinful pastime, was not a good thing to do, I feel that its taught me a lesson.

Mark