IndiaDivine.org

Attaining the Supreme

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Haribol,

Before Krishna came down to earth 5000 years ago, was everyone praying to Vishnu? Or did they know that Krishna was the Supreme?

Also, in Satya, Treta and Dvapara Yuga, did a larger percentage of the population realise that Krishna was the Supreme - or were they still calling him 'Vishnu, Narayana, Hari or Brahman'?

Haribol

Guest guest

When Ramacandra passed through the Dandakaranya forest, the sages residing there in meditation desired to become his devotees in the emotion of transcendental conjugal love. However, Ramacandra informed them that in this incarnation he was not able to fulfill their desire because he had taken a vow to have only one wife--eka patni vrata. He then told them that they could only attain this devotional status in relation to his appearance as Krsna. Thus Krsna is transcendentally more complete than Ramacandra in that he has greater capacity to reciprocate in varieties of love. In this sense he is supreme and whatever we find in Ramacandra is also there in Krsna along with something more as well. Thus Ramacandra and all the avataras have their origin in Krsna.

Krsna's primal position is described thus is in Srimad-Bhagavatam (10.85.31) where Devaki tells Lord Krsna:

"O Lord of the universe, O original Supreme Person, by a portion of a portion of a portion of yourself you create, maintain, and destroy the material universes. Now I take shelter of you."

Sridhara Swami comments on this verse as follows: "The first portion mentioned here is the purusa-avatara." The purusa-avatara is the source of all the avataras, save and except for Krsna, who although appearing as if an avatara, is the source of the purusa-avatara.

Srimad-Bhagavatam states this after mentioning the principal avataras: ete camsa-kalah pumsah krsnas tu bhagavan svayam, "All of the above-mentioned incarnations are either plenary portions or portions of the plenary portions of the Lord, but Lord Sri Krsna is the original Personality of Godhead."

Dear Prabhuji,

We heartly accept Lord Krisna as God, cause of all causes and he is beyond of everything.

But, the question was that whether people were worshipping Lord Krishna before 5000 years ago or his appearance.

Whether they were worshipping Lord Vishnu at That time?

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Yeah, thats what I want to know too - because when Dasarath performed the huge fire sacrifice, he called for Vishnu to appear - didn't even mention Krishna - did the people not know?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Jai shree krishna...

what is in name....?(not me sexpere told so)

You people ... what do you think of your self...does it matter whether they worshiped krishna by calling him krishna, rama,buddha, or vishnu...?Dont you beleive in GOD directly...do you think that by clarifying that people did not worshiped god as krishna before he appeared will make you look smart...?...Whatever hare-krishna people are doing..even by worshipping GOD by his name krishna....I dont think there is any thing wrong..and finally do you think you are more smarter in spiritual knowledge then shrila prabhupada that you want to make things clear by telling that people should worship Vishnu as 5000 years ago people used to worship vishnu...

I am sorry if i told any thing wrong...but i just wanted to tell that try to realize god... no matter what religion you follow....no matter what you call him....if you are true...you can reach him...!!

Guest guest

My question comes exactly because Hare Krsna movement is so insistent that the name Krsna is non-different from himself.

Therefore, are we to assume that Vishnu, Narayana, Brahman, are all names that don't have the same potency as Krishna?

Also, what about other names for Krsna himself, such as Govinda, Gopal, Keshav - are they the same level of potency as the name Krsna - are they non-different from Krsna himself?

And also, with regard to other religions, is the name Allah the same potency as Krsna - after all, they both refer to same Supreme Lord, and Islam was also sent down by God according to Bhavishya Purana.

I know all names for God are powerful and create spiritual advancement, but is Krsna superior to all other names?

Haribol

Guest guest

SB 1.2.22: Certainly, therefore, since time immemorial, all transcendentalists have been rendering devotional service to Lord Krsna, the Personality of Godhead, with great delight, because such devotional service is enlivening to the self

I don't know in which Yuga these stories occured:

In sb 4.28.33 Narada was telling King Pracinabarhisat about King Malayadhvaja worshiping Krishna. And in 4.29.82 Pracinabarhisat worships Govinda.

In Rudra Gita sb 4.24, Rudra is telling the Pracetas about Krishna/Vasudeva.

In 6.9 the Devas pray to Krishna to help them with Vrtrasura.

11.2 and 11.3 Krisha is mentioned in a talk between Maharaja Nimi and the Nine Yogendras

SB 11.19.6: Formerly, great sages, through the sacrifice of Vedic knowledge and spiritual enlightenment, worshiped Me within themselves, knowing Me to be the Supreme Lord of all sacrifice and the Supersoul in everyone's heart. Thus coming to Me, these sages achieved the supreme perfection

Guest guest

Therefore, are we to assume that Vishnu, Narayana, Brahman, are all names that don't have the same potency as Krishna?

---krsna is vishnu in his more intimate aspect or vishnu is krsna in his more official aspect.. like a king when he's in his role or at home with friends and family... so if you chant krsna you will obtain krsna's aspect and if you chant narayana you will obtain narayana. Because we consider intimate aspect more blissful of the official one we say, technically, that krsna is superior to narayana... but actually they're the same person.

Brahman is vague, it is not intimate neither official... it is the effulgence. So we consider it subordinate to the personal aspect

Also, what about other names for Krsna himself, such as Govinda, Gopal, Keshav - are they the same level of potency as the name Krsna - are they non-different from Krsna himself?

--of course

And also, with regard to other religions, is the name Allah the same potency as Krsna

--no, krsna, vishnu, narayana, govinda, keshava are proper, personal, intimate names.. not given by anyone... allah (the highest) is a name given by humans, right definition, because krsna is the highest, but it is not a real intimate name. Your name may be John and i also can give the name "the boy of the forum"... but john is your real name

I know all names for God are powerful and create spiritual advancement, but is Krsna superior to all other names?

---for intimacy... krsna shows more bliss

Guest guest

Haribol,

Thanks, I understand about the name Krsna now and its potency. I will truly endeavour to experience his love and potency.

About Allah being given by humans though, I thought Mohammed was sent down by Shiva under Krishna's instructions according to the Bhavishya Purana, and so the religion was given to them by God himself, just for their particular time, and circumstances? Therefore, is Allah not also potent? Obviously not as potent as Krishna, but maybe there alongside Vishnu, Narayana etc? I know this is probably mental speculation, but i need to know how to explain about teh name of Krsna to people from other religions without making it seem like their name for God is inferior.

Guest guest

i can repeat my explanations and adding more, but actually these are tecnicalities, so it is not important that you, expecially in preaching, made discriminations between the names of god

if your intention were speculative or impersonalist i would continue but you are sincerely preaching to others.... so do as you are doing now, this is not wrong neither a deviation