IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What is meant by offenseless chanting?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

What is meant by offenseless chanting? Please list the offenses that one might accidently engage in.

Thank you!

Haribol,

Following are the 10 offences (from "The Nectarean Ocean of the Holy Name" - by Sacinandana Swami - Gayatri Verlag)one should not commit while chanting;

1 - To blaspheme devotees.

2 - To consider the names of the demigods equal with

the name of Vishnu.

3 - To disobey the orders of the Spiritual Master.

4 - To blaspheme the Vedic Literature.

5 - To consider the glories of chanting Hare Krsna to be

imagination.

6 - To give some interpretation of the holy name.

7 - To commit sinful activities on the strength of the

holy name.

8 - To consider chanting to be a ritualistic activity.

9 - To instruct a faithless person about the glories of

the holy name.

10 - To maintain material attachments.

For further details, kindly refer the book.

Hare krishna

Guest guest

Haribol

no. 9 - how is it possible to instruct a faithless person while you are chanting?

can u think of the Lord's pastimes, and at least his transcendental incarnations, such as Rama?

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

i may not be an expert at this, but i would say that it is not referring to just "while" you are chanting your rounds or such. say, i chant Hare Krishna maha mantra, but later try to get someone to believe in Krishna even though that person shows complete disinterest and does not care. than that is an offense on my part.

i would like to answer the second answer in the affirmative, but i might be commiting an offense by that.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

I talked to a few devotees, and one said that I should not think of any of the Lord's pastimes or visualise Him - not because it is offensive - but actually because the mantra is Krishna Himself, hence if one just concentrates on the sound one makes while chanting, one will receive transcendental pleasure (eventually!!!).

I am still waiting for an obvious pleasure to come from the chanting, because I am still finding it hard work - when it should be pleasurable. Still, I'm going to keep working at it (I'm only on 2 rounds a day).

Haribol,

Nimesh

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

it is wonderful that you are doing 2 rounds. that is great. from my experience, one of the pleasures that i found from chanting was that when i was told to not chant Hare Krishna or Hare Rama, but instead chant something else, supposedly another mantra. i felt so bad, so sad at this. i didn't want to stop chanting Hare Krishna. i thought that i didn't feel any "pleasure" from chanting either. i was most definitely WRONG!!! i almost even cried at being told that; i think i actually DID cry.

what i'm getting to is that, you will become attached to the name of the Lord. since the name of the Lord is the same as the Lord Himself, both are completely blissful, and attractive. chanting more and more will make you less attached to material attachment, and more to spiritual attachment.

Haribol! Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

and i was on only 2 rounds back then. don't think i even had a 'set number' of daily rounds then. this was only a few months ago. now i've increased a little more from that number, and try to do at least 4 daily, but more never hurts.

Ha

Haribol Nimesh,

This offense specifically applies to gurus who might try to initiate a faithless person and instruct about the glories of the holy name. By glories of the holy name it means the name, form, qualities and past-times of Sri Krishna. Those who are faithless will just take these to be a figment of imagination. So one should not instruct about the glories and mahamantra (which is one of the glories as you have mentioned in your reply to the post) to a faithless person.

This does not apply to devotees who go and chant in the open, because they are not instucting but simply providing the common people some advancement (without the people sometimes realizing it). So instructing about the glories should be restricted but not the chanting, kirtans etc of the Lord.

I hope this satisfies your query and sorry for posting this reply so late.

Hare Krishna.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna KrishnaBhakta!

You said "more never hurts". While I agree with this statement on one side, on the other hand, if you fall below the standard, won't it be an offense as well to the holy name? Also, one ends up feeling miserable, if one does not chant his minimum daily rounds as sometimes one may get so busy with his daily routine work - eg entertaining guests, office etc... that he may not get time to chant for a week, lets say. What does one do then?

Also, is it an offence to feel miserable when one does not chant as the objective of chanting is to serve the Lord and not one's personal concern ie. if one feels miserable or not.