IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Xena Fans Speak Out

Rate this topic

Guest guest

have been an initiated member of the Hare Krishna group from 1972. I lived in India for over 10 years. I am married to an Indian for almost 20 years. I have watched numerous Indian movies religious and otherwise. I had numerous amounts of opportunities to associate with the leader of the Hare Krishna movement (luckily), Srila Prabhupada.

Comments were made by him in the past; regarding news articles, such as how many times did they mention Krishna's name. Never did he organize protests for things such as this. After viewing many Indian religious movies I felt they did an injustice to how they portrayed Krishna.

I personally watched the Xena episode and could not find anything to criticize. I did feel that our beloved leader would have been very pleased with the show and would have liked the way Xena prayed to Krishna. I myself thoroughly enjoyed the episode and said to myself," what a great opportunity the world has had to be exposed to this story of Krishna, even though there might be some minor discrepancies." I have always wished that with all the millions of dollars that the organization has had that they could have reached the masses even in some small way through the air waves.

Henry Ford would say when his name was mentioned in any article good or bad; was it spelled right?

I also personally felt Madonna's presentation was quite good. Why did we have to also turn her off when maybe she's making a sincere effort to explore her spirituality. We did a good job on Annie Lennox, George Harrison, Boy George, etc.

Please offer my apology to Xena as I feel the silent majority does not agree with the vocal minority. Hopefully she will not feel discouraged to consult with Vaishnavas for future programs to portray stories of Krishna worldwide. I feel people of the world are intelligent enough to do their research to see the good for the story portrayed and the exposure to the story was in itself a positive experience.

It reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw," Please GOD protect me from your followers!"

Hoping this meets you well.

Please feel free to correspond with me. Thank you for your letter.

Sincerely,

S. Das

--

This is a response to XENA'S MESSAGE TO THE VIEWERS.

I believe that the point of Xena's prayers to Krishna has been misinterpreted. The fact of the matter is that Xena does not pray to any god. So to invoke Krishna in any way, shape, or form speaks rather highly of her. It is not in her to offer tears of supplication, but she does offer a plea for help.

Secondly, Krishna's portrayal was of a very intelligent god who offered his aid to someone who wanted to rescue a friend from the hands of evil. And that's all. How does anyone want to refute such an act?

If you do not want to see such a positive portrayal of Krishna and of human nature, please do so. But please, do not take away that right from the rest of humanity.

Sincerely yours,

Miguel A. Cura: Animator

--

The Truth

Vidagha madhava das....Sir with all due respects,it seems to me that in displaying to the devotees of the Hindu religion just how detailed is your knowledge and esteem for your divinities, you like so many zealots blind yourself to what might be the true work of the Lord Krishna. Preaching to the converted does little to advance the cause or doctrine.

Does it not seem strange that what might be millions of non-belivers are talking referencing and arguing about which you would suppress the Xena episode "The Way".

No amount of preaching by all of your devotees could have achieved such world wide proclamation.

The left hand of GOD is hard for us mortals to understand,sometimes we have just to accept it.

For however we may attempt to deny...it will event. Just as it is hard to understand why GOD seems to ignore the "faithful" as HE extends his hand to those religion teaches to despise.

A friend of mine wrote this, we hope it helps.

--

Why are you selling the XWP episode, The Way?

Its my understanding that The Way was an abomination in the eyes of all Hindu's. Frankly what struck me about the assault on the show from Hindu's all over the world was not that the producers of XWP were in the wrong, but the outpouring of hate, bigotry, and misogyny I felt from the Hindu community, especially against lesbians.

I certainly didn't see or feel any love or compassion in the media blitz against XWP and her 'lesbian lover' Gabrielle.

In my opinion, the show Xena Warrior Princess advocates love, personal responsibility, forgiveness, solidarity, friendship, courage, and spiritual redemption.

When Hindu's from all over the world threatened to ban and boycott XWP because of 'the way' their God was represented, all it taught me was how bigoted the Hindu religion was, just like most others.

Bigotry is actually a nicer way just to say Hate.

Bigotry only perpetuates greater oppression, isolation, and misunderstanding against groups of people who are different.

Thankfully I saw The Way and personally loved the message it conveyed because what it said in no uncertain terms was that through the power of love and prayer anything was possible. Obviously The Way is not 'the way' of all the Hindu's who bashed the producers of XWP.

Through 'The Way' Xena saved her friend Gabrielle from an evil god.

How anybody could be offended by that I really don't know.

Quite honestly its the people who practice bigotry and hatred of gay people who scare me, not XWP.

Look at what happened to Matt hew Shepard in Wyoming. Love didn't kill him, people who hate gay people did. Society said gay people were less than worthy of living, being loved, so kill them.

Hindu's said surely their God couldn't love Xena or Gabrielle, those supposed lesbians, so let's kill the show . . .

Hate is not a family value.

I hope one day all the religions of the world can practice love and compassion towards others who are different from themselves. Amen.

With respect,

Kathleen Fox

--

Dear Sir

I read your editorial and I object to being called immature devotees and faithless atheists of which I am neither.

I have to say that The episode The Way showed me for the first time and taught me about your religion. It showed me that your god Krishna is a kind and loving god. It was a portrayal of a God that was compassionate. You never know you might actually get some converts from this episode.

I suspect hate isn't one thing that Krishna tells you to do - nor is intolerance. You seem to espouse these qualities.

I am sorry you feel about the Way as you do but may I suggest you take a good look at it and leave your preconceived ideas aside.

Yours sincerely

Mary Draganis

kira@zip.com.au

Xenites Against Censorship

--

Italy

I am deeply disappointed for all the Xena-protest. I'm not Hindu but it's really hard for me to believe that Krishna has never been portrayed in any fictional show worldwide before.

I can't really think it's so offensive... Xena producers made research and contacted Hindu experts. Blame them, not the producers!

--

I was recently watching Television when on my screen came an awesome deity. I was moved by him yet i knew it was fiction, so i wanted to learn more. I wanted to know about his Way and to learn about him and he was Krishna i was fascinated. I live on a college campus and i asked around trying to find out everything i could and maybe to learn a better way than what i knew. That simple TV show sparked an interest in me... but now you are protesting this show. Why? it lets people know about the glory of your god. Because of the scathing that many have shown to Xena i will really never again be interested in Krishna because of attitudes of hatred for the show that almost brought me to your Way.

I do not think i will ever hear the name of Krishna and not think about the hateful remarks that have been tossed about the Internet. I am just sorry that I could not see more without my journey being poisoned by hatred once again. Christianity did it first now Hinduism. I just wonder if i will find my WAY.

Sarah Schweitzer