IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Manuel

Help please.

Rate this topic

Hi my name is Jerry I live in Louisiana, I was told if I wanted to really truly study Hinduism and follow the teachings I must find a guru. I do want to learn and follow this teaching I have tried so many things and it seems the journey has led me here. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi jerry google search sahaja yoga in your area its free.

Hi my name is Jerry I live in Louisiana, I was told if I wanted to really truly study Hinduism and follow the teachings I must find a guru. I do want to learn and follow this teaching I have tried so many things and it seems the journey has led me here. Any help will be appreciated.

Dear Jerry:

Thanks for your interest in Hinduism. Before anyone try to help you, need to know the background. Why do you want to learn about hinduism? How did you turn to Hinduism? What do you want to do after following hinduism?

If I know more information, more specific help can be provided and that help can serve the purpose. Because this needs one on one specific discussions and many information you may not like to share in public.

Still, there may be lots of people out there who may help you right here. Its your choice.

Hinduism is the way of living life.

Balwant

Jerry

I am happy that you are interested in understanding and following the Dharmam. Some or most of the following you might already be aware of, still I am putting them for others use as well.

Unlike the regular usage of the term guru in English, here a guru is actually a teacher. A teacher or a navigator who shows you the path. Where to, a better way of life or a better life itself.

Let me give a very simple view: as Balwant said, Hinduism is not a religion, it's a path of life or more appropriately 'it's the best path for a life'. A guru, according to elders(who walked already) in this way, can be one of:

1. Suchaka Guru: Teaches worldly knowledge. Best example is a school teacher.

2. Vacahaka Guru: As far I remember, teaches basics of life - physical, philosophical & spiritual.

3. Bodhaka Guru: Same as Vachaka Guru, but you may consult him day to day to confirm what to practice and what not to.

4. Parama Guru: A guru whom the whole world can consult or follow. Sounds like Pope for Christianity, though differs a lot.

5. Nishiddha Guru: Whom should not be followed.

Out of them, someone might have suggested that you might need a Bodhaka Guru, to learn the path to higher levels of consciousness. At every point, anyways, you are on your own. A guru is more like a compass. What you will learn depends on how much you develop yourself.

It is said that a Guru should not assess the follower before accepting him/her. He (and she) should only assess their ability to understand higher level knowledge, before teaching it, at every step; much like exams at the end of every semester in the school. This should help you choose the correct Guru.

I can take you through most of the basics. Later, I can point you to the best Guru for further development. Let me know if you need my help.